80s vs 2005 metal detectors...is there really a difference??

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
80's vs 2005 metal detectors...is there really a difference??

My father, brother, and I each purchased several detectors (top of the line) in the early 1980's. Mostly Garrett's and a couple of White's. They had discrimination, and ground balancing all metal mode if you pressed the toggle...Search in all metal mode, get a signal, then toggle to discriminate. We metal detected mostly in WV (lots of iron in soil) and Seattle. Recently I purchased a top of the line Fisher. Observations: the Fisher is more comfortable; the display is better. I really don't see a big difference in the depth or discrimination abilities. You still have to dig everything to make sure a gold or silver ring isn't passed by the discrimination. The '80s Garretts and Whites would detect objects as deep as I was willing to dig....8 inches or so.

My perception is that metal detectors have not come all that far since the early 80s. If you discriminate, you miss rings and jewelry.

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Re: 80's vs 2005 metal detectors...is there really a difference??

I'd have to agree with you on this. Not that I have any experience with 1980's machines but I hunted some areas that were hit back in the 60's thru 80's and those guys/machines didn't miss much! I've spoken with fellow hunters who tell tales of just absolutely cleaning house when it came to silver coins.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

The only real difference I've seen is that the new one's are lighter and easier on the arm for extended periods.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just ran into the Man I sold My 70's Whites 6000-D series 2.

He's Having a Great Time with it. & from what I remember,

I'd put it up against 90% of the New Detectors out there.

I sold it to him for $100.00 & I still see them hitting $300.00 on E-bay

K

Kentucky Kache

And you didn't have to be a rocket scientist to operate them.

MXT SNIPER

Sep 30, 2004

One of my treasure hunting buddies uses a Garrett ADS III and it goes deep, I use a MXT and he can match me for depth on any size coin. I believe the III is an early 80's vlf motion unit. He will not even consider a newer model, we have tested a slightly newer Garrett ADS 7 and the III runs circles around it. I agree, these older units are heavy!!!
But I am spoiled by the visual Id and iron probability% on my MXT, I like bells and whistles. Plus the ability to prospect as well as coin hunt with the same machine.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Well I guess a lot of things haven't changed since the 80's. No you can not distinguish rings from pull tabs now or ever. If you are a ring or jewelry hunter not much has changed. The deepest machine for discrimination is that old relic hunter the Nautilus. We simply have not seen giant leaps in technology in the last 25 years as VLF technology is near the end of the road.

Actually instead of using 80's technology why not use 60's technology? No worry about digging coins below 8" with those old BFOs. Experienced users had an ear for rudimentary iron discrimination. You couldn't distinuish a ring from a pull tab either(actually pull tabs were not that common back then). Certainly I found more silver in one summer with my old BFO than most folks will ever find in their lifetime today. So why not keep on using the old BFO?? The bottom line is that we are always upgrading because technology marches on with better depth, discrimination and ground balancing abilities. Technology advancements although not major did not stop in the 80's.

Why was there a lot of new activity in the parks when the Explorers were first introduced? Why were they recovering all these old coins in areas that had been detected hundreds of times before? Why because the older technology was not that good in picking out good targets in the trash. My Whites Series 3? ID capabilities for a coin was incredibly shallow compared to a today's Explorer.? No one here was even discussed the tone ID capabilities of todays detectors. Hit a silver dime in trash with an Explorer and hear that unmistakable silver flutey sound come thru.The older detectors would have simply rejected the entire target.

I loved my old White's Series 3 at the time(still own it), however saying that this detector is in the same league as an Explorer11 is too much of a stretch.? If I am? going to hunt previously hunted locations for items which have been missed by earlier users( CW relic hunters know this issue) it will remain in my closet and I will be using the latest technology.

George

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As stated above,

when searching for "jewelry" (most of which we want to be gold) the tech. hasn't changed all that much as for the detectors being able to disc. out junk/tabs, etc. so you need to run with low disc. and dig a lot of junk to find gold, but, if you're looking for "silver" of any kind (rings, coins, etc.) you don't need to have the detector running with low disc. but also, the detectors of today surpass those of 20 yrs+ by far.

As the guy above says, the older and or cheaper detectors don't do a very good job in trashy areas where a coin may be buried with other objects, and they will reject good targets because they also see the bad and can't ID the good target that is mixed in/with and or close by the junk. That's why a guy with a 1000.00 or more machine of today will come rgt behind you and find things YOU missed!

TEST:
see how well YOUR machine is at ID'ing good targets among bad (even newer machines) and this will tell you how good YOUR machine really is:

put a quarter on the ground and a pull tab 1 inch away, and also a good size spike/nail or other iron object 2 inches to the other side (as this is a possible scenario in a park, yard, etc.), and pass over the objects with your coil at 5 to 6 inches above them,

does YOUR machine positively ID the quarter while disc. out the junk or can you at least tell that you would want to dig that target? (and remember now) you can't see what's in the ground, and or know what's in the ground so in reality, if you were in a park/etc. detecting, you'd be thinking that it's only one target, and so based on what your ID meter reads, and or the sound you're hearing, would you dig that target?

if not, you may want to consider up grading to a better machine,

that's only one of the difference's in new, and high dollar machines vs older and or cheaper machines,

sure, older and or 200.00 & 300.00 machines may be ok to start with for beginners but,

there's more than one reason that new & high dollar machines cost as much as they do.

Lonewolfe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I think the term is called the recovery rate. And no it doesn't have to do with how many pulltabs per hour you find.

jimmyprince

Greenie
Apr 1, 2005

I FOUND MORE COINS IN THE LATE 70,S AND EARLY 80,S WITH MY WHITES? "WHIPPING MACHINE" THEN I DO NOW. THAT WHITES WAS, IN MY OPINION TOP OF THE LINE EVEN IN TODAYS MARKET.

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium

I use a white's 4B, I like the toggle discrimination as I hunt for gold / meteorites.
What I am concerned about is depth. I can pass over a one ounce gold coin at 4-5 inches of air and not get a tone!
What depth would I get with, say a MXT?
The other plus pulling me towards something newer is the ability to ge a tone without motion. Is it all that helpful?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't say much about the 80's as I am a child of the 50's and 60's. I use to play with my Dad's MD he got at Radio Shack. It just indicated metal period! You dug everything 'cause you had no idea what might be there. I remember digging so many pieces of junk metal, nails , cans, lids, etc., it was a real treat to find a coin of any type! Great strides have been made since then, but not necessarily so in the last few years. Looks like most strides have een made in miniaturization. Everything seems lighter and more compact now. Also, I like the icons and dials to indicate what your machine is doing....and the seperate tones . I rremember that old machione just had one tone and it got louder as you were directly over the target....an all metal mode all the time I suppose?

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium

That all metal mode is all ya need in the boonies.
I dont care what beeps.. gold, meteorite or relic!

The discrimination is necessary for coin shooting in trashy areas, not my thing, usually.
As far as graphics go, too much time looking at a video screen and not what may be looking up at you.

Anyone give me a real world depth expectation on a newer machine?

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm perplexed why excellent designs were abandoned.? Here are two design issues:

1. WHY does my CZ6a make me reach into the control panel and awkwardly turn the discriminate button (quite small and inaccessible) to change into DISC or AUTOTUNE mode. The manual describes this as an easy process...it really isn't! The Fisher staff should try this with a mud caked glove!

The 80's Garrett Groundhog/Deepseeker VLF/TRs had a wonderful TOGGLE switch on the handle, positioned for your thumb to easily switch between the ALL METAL and DISCRIMINATION modes. This switch was durable and made the detectors REALLY work...search in ALL METAL mode, get signal, press the toggle with your thumb to your DISCRIMINATION circuit, and move on or pinpoint and dig. Just took? a couple of seconds.

2. The 80's Deepseeker had the control knobs recessed on the side. I rarely bumped the controls accidentally. On my Fisher CZ6a the knobs are VERY easily bumped; I have frequently found my SENSITIVITY and SALT/NORMAL switches out of position. If you use the Fisher in real life relic environments, the control panel is a dirty MESS when you get home!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

If you've noticed, even with the advancement of computer chips and such instead of diodes that things have gotten better. A lot of the knobs are going the way of touchpads. It's a lot more difficult to accidentally bump them and less chance of moisture entering by getting under the knobs and causing problems with corrosion and dirt (aka rust).

JB(MS)

Mar 21, 2003

There's a post below in which the Discovery Treasure Barons are discussed.? Most are not familar with them as not too many have been made or sold but they were designed by George Payne, who also developed most of the features,? except multifrequency,? on all current detectors.? ?He discovered the phase shift principle that allows ground balance and discrimination, designed the first ground balance and discrimination circuits, invented multiple tone audio, ID meters, auto ground balance, notch, the first computerized detector and more.? He did a bang up job on the Barons.? They have great depth, but the feature on the Goldtrax and new Cointrax II models that sets them apart is iron ID in all metal mode on both the Goldtrax and Cointrax plus the Cointrax II has a Deep Search mode that lets the operator know a target too deep to be processed by the normal discrimination mode is under the coil.? Iron produces a staccato audio response in all metal mode on the Goldtrax, the Cointrax II can be programmed to give the staccato audio response on only iron in all metal mode, but if the operator wants also on all targets through bottlecaps with no loss of depth.? If so inclined someone could cherry pick for higher coins in all metal mode by just listening to the audio.? Nothing developed in the 80's, even by George, is in the same league.?

JB

P

Pooley

My 2 cents: New detectors and nice and lightweight and hi tech. 80s detectors were heavy but they worked great. Just like now, back then the good ones were $$$$$. My old Whites from the early 80s was a $600 machine. So, to me, the only difference now is the weight factor.

Murray_B

May 12, 2005

In the 80's microprocessors were very expensive and could not be used used in low or mid-priced detectors. This means that the operator had to discriminate between items because the instruments did not. An experienced operator got good results but beginners generally couldn't.

Older detectors also more likely to use discrete transistors instead of operational amplifier chips. This made them more costly to make but they worked on similar principles to the ones of today.

The main difference I see is that the mid-priced machines of today are far more usable by beginners. There are lots of current machines in the $200-$300 range that indicate what is detected and how deep. These computers are not completely accurate but are far better at interpreting tones than most newbies.

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005

I went hunting a few weeks ago, with a 1982 Garrett Groundhog. All-metal mode goes fairly deep, but disc. mode is only good for about 2-3 inches if that. The heavy weight and awkward handle make it very uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. Of course there were probably better machines made at the time, so I'm certainly not going to criticize all older detectors.
I recently ordered a new Minelab Musketeer, and I would certainly hope it's at least as good as something made 20 years ago!

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bet you will miss the convenient "ADS" toggle switch on that old groundhog.? ?:-\ I do on my newer detectors!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread