Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went to the beach a couple of weeks ago so I took my EQ-600 out for a little exercise. Working in "all metal" mode, I found the usual assortment of coins, pull tabs, those d@#n mylar potato chip bags. Walking toward the beach access point and not really swinging, I hit a pretty fat signal that showed something deep. Since I can resist anything but temptation, I started digging ... and digging ... and digging. 18" down and I was still getting a signal. At about 24" down, I was rewarded with a nice steel-belted radial tire. I'll just chalk it up as a good day at the beach.

Upvote 0

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time out on the beach with the 600 I got a strong signal and dug about 18 inches and to my surprise a motor cycle fender. I didn’t even try to get it out. I know how you feel. Lol. I’m just glad I was digging in sand and not dirt.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time out on the beach with the 600 I got a strong signal and dug about 18 inches and to my surprise a motor cycle fender. I didn’t even try to get it out. I know how you feel. Lol. I’m just glad I was digging in sand and not dirt.

Sure it wasn't the whole motorcycle?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha Ha. Expanding your machine's parameters. Tires at 2 feet. Good to know. I was near a Rev. war battery site, and digging everything. Did the same thing on a large chunk of concrete with rebar. It's still there.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a toilet on Hunting Island after the cane.
It was sittin upright.
The flush handle/top of the tank was bout a foot deep.
It's still there.

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of dug it up just to get a picture of me sitting on it at the beach. Good one.

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dug a 2 footer in my back yard when I first got my Excal II 1000 (convinced I had found treasure) - turned out to be a gallon paint can; luckily, the paint or whatever was in the can was long gone.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stainless table top about eighteen inches deep. In a park......
Yeah , politely left it by covering the six inch hole expanded at the bottom,no longer a plug.

Former restroom had been razed and spread out before covering with dirt.

Former water supply line in another park (copper) for a drinking fountain long since removed was discovered. And rediscovered. And then upon turning away from thought path it ran , was discovered again....(!)

johnwon2

Jun 21, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark & Equinox-800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a similar situation this past weekend with my Nox 800 at the beach and pulled up a beer can - still sealed. It was 18-24" down.. I had to take some pics or my detecting buddy would have told me that I was exagurating.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tire. Hadn't heard that one before. Some people don't know enough to throw their trash away at the dump, where it's supposed to be, or with a tire, to a tire dealer. Best/worst dig I ever had was a Rev War 3 pound solid shot down about 30" with my Tesoro Cibola. I'm guessing about the depth, but I couldn't reach the bottom of the hole as my arm wasn't long enough, so maybe 28".

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tire. Hadn't heard that one before. Some people don't know enough to throw their trash away at the dump, where it's supposed to be, or with a tire, to a tire dealer.

I suspect that the tire was not the result of improper trash disposal. It was likely part of a dune restoration project. Tires are pretty durable things and their shape and hollow core help hold the sand in place. I was hoping to find the rest of the car ... perhaps a nice Astin Martin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread