PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the holiday weekend I was able to hunt a street tear out in the older part of town, after not finding much the first half hour I finally hit an 1890 V nickel and then not much later got an 1897 Barber dime. I didn't find anything else of note but was quite happy.

tear_out.jpg IMG_2359.JPG Front.JPG back.JPG

The V nickel has good detail but hard to see in the photo, anyone have suggestions to clean it up? I was thinking of tumbling it in sand.

HH

Pete

Upvote 0

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No abrasives ever!! Do some research for yourself first. I would not trust a person or two, suggesting anything!! Go to or call a coin shop. Find out the value. Find out what should be done. But do not use sand!

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No abrasives ever!! Do some research for yourself first. I would not trust a person or two, suggesting anything!! Go to or call a coin shop. Find out the value. Find out what should be done. But do not use sand!

I'm not worried about value it is not a key date, probably worth a $1 in condition it is in. I just want to be able to look it at and see the detail. I was thinking about soaking it in olive oil and picking dirt off or tumbling it .

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a good tire shop.

Cool coins too, lol.

Hi haven't been to that tire shop, but have been to the Filling Station quite a few times, V nickel was in front of Verano Tan and Barber was in front of the Family Video.

If you head over there I'd take a small coil as there is a lot of metal debris around.

HH,

Pete

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi haven't been to that tire shop, but have been to the Filling Station quite a few times, V nickel was in front of Verano Tan and Barber was in front of the Family Video.

If you head over there I'd take a small coil as there is a lot of metal debris around.

HH,

Pete
Yeh, I'd imagine there is. I think about goin down there after work, only half a mile away. By the time i get out though, I just don't want to deal with the people over there......Got me a nice, peaceful 1800's homestead on the way home from work that's more my style.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw TwoToes soak old cans in lemon juice to clean them. It worked really well.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you can spend a dug V nickle, it's worth five cents! Nickels just don't clean up that nice and that coin will NEVER have ANY numismatic value.
Lets be real, people.
I would be happy with those finds as well, grats!

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can spend a dug V nickle, it's worth five cents! Nickels just don't clean up that nice and that coin will NEVER have ANY numismatic value.
Lets be real, people.
I would be happy with those finds as well, grats!
Honestly, my way is to ID a coin or anything else really, for possible value....

If it ain't potentially worth a million bucks, and I want it shiny, I put it in my rotary brass tumbler with stainless media, dawn dish soap, and lemishine (citric acid).....turns most things shiny new again.

Definately not a collector approved method. But I ain't no collector.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toothpick heavy corrosion off, wash it with water, toothbrush, dry, soak in vinegar for a short time, like 2-3 min, take out, wash it soap water, rub coin with hair or skin oil to highlight details - you are done - that's what I did with my 1912-s V-nickel, with no sig damage....
Its a case-by-case situation to decide, so ask coin shops and serious collectors first....!

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back yesterday and used my small coil.

Found 4 Wheats 21, 42, 44. 48-d and 1899 V Nickel. Was a nice time and happy to find an another 1890's coin, but it is kind of toasted, I tried tumbling the other V nickel but didn't really improve it.

Couldn't really get a decent picture
IMG_2388.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions