[AZ] i'm planning my first hunt site location

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have been studying about this new hobby for a month or so. Yesterday i ordered/received my first ever detector the Equinox 800 and added the 6 in. coil. (i'm*targeting*Gold)

I've lived in AZ all my life and currently live in Queen Creek. I'm looking to make my first hunt near*Hayden, AZ, 75*miles SE of my home location.

I also joined a prospecting club, The Roadrunner's Prospector's Club. My first hunt site will be on a RRPC claim.

RRPC has 31 claims in this area. Below is a aerial view of what their claim areas look like. I'm hoping to head out there in a few weeks, It's going to be HOT!

Cap1.JPG

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! Good luck in your hunt. The Equinox is a great machine, although maybe not the best for nuggets compared to dedicated gold machines. It will depend on your site and the size of the nuggets. Have fun!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The equinox 800 will stand on its own two feet when it comes to nugget shooting. Trust me on that one. I’ve been raking dredge tailings in central Az and have been finding gold with mine. Good luck prospecting.

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys :)

I used landmatters to get some interesting information. I took two screenshots. The purple box is claims from my club. The picture in my initial post was taken from here

From what i'm seeing it looks like i might be in good shape for my first hunt :)

hunt1.JPG

hunt2.JPG

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The equinox 800 will stand on its own two feet when it comes to nugget shooting. Trust me on that one. I’ve been raking dredge tailings in central Az and have been finding gold with mine. Good luck prospecting.

I find a Gold Bug will find the tiny nuggets better, and a GPX or GPZ will find the 12+ inch deep nuggets better in most areas. The ground mineralization and amount/degree of hot rocks and other trash will play a big part in which will work the best.

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, i wish i could own a GPX-4500, one day maybe :)

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello! Everyone! I'm back from my first site(s). :)

The Hayden claim site indeed did have way too many hot rocks. I had a crash course in learning my detector lol.

Got there about 6pm and wasn't hot at all about 97f. First thing i want to say i felt like i was in heavan! i wanted to scan everything and do it now! lol but in reality I only stayed near the car and only dug 3 holes...depressing i know but the first item i found was a 1980 penny at 3 inches! i was so happy!! lol. Next two holes i dug i found a 9mm casing in each hole. I left the site at 8pm.

IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
40AFF.JPG

The next day (Sun) i left at 12pm for another claim site in Bumble Bee. Lol yes i was hungry for more!

Sadly I only dug one hole and found another 9mm casing at 4in. Had to leave early because it was way too hot and I didn't bring enough water. I didn't account for the effort it took to actually walk up hills and actually get to the site which was 2400 ft walk from the car. A huge lesson i have learned, google map's satellite view is very deceiving about hills and mountain height's. I can't wait to go back to Bumble Bee in October. (sorry about the last pic it came from a screenshot from a video)

IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fox, it’s nice to see you so excited about prospecting. My first detector was better than my first girlfriend. Remember, the sun is the most dangerous thing about prospecting in AZ. If you have already run low on water you are setting yourself up for a disaster. DO NOT go into the desert unprepared!!!!! If you are by yourself especially. I live in Sonora, just south of you, the sun will kill you quicker than snakes, scorpions, cartel smugglers, ex-wives or traffic accidents. No joking, DO NOT go into the desert without preparing for all possible contingencies. Have at least 5 gallons of water and ice and electrolytes. Also, a tarp or something to make shade.

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. lol@ first girlfriend. Yeah i got a little scared on the second trip and decided to leave after my first hole. I learned a big lesson and im even a boy scout. The excitement clouded my common sense.

I'll probably just go back in October because im older now at 45 years of age and the heat seems to bother me more than it used too.

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello again everyone, I've been sitting here waiting for September and I accidentally bought a Goldmonster 1000 :)

I figured a Secondary machine couldn't hurt and will be useful.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread