A good hunt today

dougolf2

Apr 27, 2019
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today was a good hunt. I found 2 rings. 1 might be sterling, although I suspect it's costume jewelry. The other ring appears to be copper or brass...not sure. I also found my first 2 wheat pennies, yay! Plenty of clad and trash too. Is there a good method to clean the rings? 20190531_174052-1.jpg

Upvote 0

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding TWO rings, on the same day! I’ll probably get chastised for saying that I use a soft brush, and dish soap, under warm running water to clean rings.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High karat gold usually just needs a rinse. If it's truly silver (.800 or better) I like using the vinegar and baking soda method. That will also work on costume jewelry, but, sometimes the plating will come off if left in the vinegar too long. Start with just a couple of hours and repeat if necessary. The method I use is to get an aluminum can, flip it up side down, put the ring in the end and fill with vinegar (just the cheapest stuff you can find). After it's been soaking long enough, remove and rub with baking soda. Then rinse thoroughly in water and dry. Works good on silver coins too, but, check the coin to see if it's rare before doing it as you might reduce it's value by cleaning it. That can be a judgment call depending on how bad the coin looks to begin with, and what you want it to look like after you're done. Good Luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff. Too hot to dig here. What they said about cleaning.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Done on the save of the 2 rings.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The band on the right is likely silver. Might try drying the band well with a hair dryer or sun and then tap it gently with a solid object to break the encrustation off. After most of the encrustation is knocked-off, follow what cudimark says with vinegar and baking soda.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the two ring hunt! :occasion14:

Deborah8

Jun 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like using the vinegar and baking soda method. That will also work on costume jewelry, but, sometimes the plating will come off if left in the vinegar too long. Start with just a couple of hours and repeat if necessary. The method I use is to get an aluminum can, flip it up side down, put the ring in the end and fill with vinegar (just the cheapest stuff you can find). After it's been soaking long enough, remove and rub with baking soda.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. I use the vinegar method too

Robert84

Jun 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like using the vinegar and baking soda method. That will also work on costume jewelry, but, sometimes the plating will come off if left in the vinegar too long. Start with just a couple of hours and repeat if necessary. The method I use is to get an aluminum can, flip it up side down, put the ring in the end and fill with vinegar (just the cheapest stuff you can find). After it's been soaking long enough, remove and rub with baking soda.

Nice compilation here! Thnx for sharing.

Last edited:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can clean sterling silver with toothpaste and a toothbrush.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread