I have been challenged! Help me choose my weapon.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a gathering of local metal detectors and we had "the" discussion - whether it is the machine, or the operator, that leads to better finds. Before I knew it my extra large mouth was saying I could find just as much with an entry-level machine, as a new to intermediate hobbyist with the best machine on the market. Much to my surprise, one of the newer kids (with an XP Deus), piped up and said he would take that bet. We agreed that I could use any machine under $250.00 retail, and that we would detect together once a week over the next three-months. At the end of that time we will compare our finds, and a panel of our buddies will decide on the winner. The winner gets $200.00 and bragging rights.:tongue3:

Which machine would you choose with a retail of $250.00 or less?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming you will be buying a new machine at retail for $250.00 max I went to the Kellyco website to see your options. I came to the conclusion that you should buy an F22 that comes with the DD coil (retail $239). I consider the F22 an upgraded F2 that uses only one 9v battery vs the F2 using two and it is weatherproof. I find myself grabbing my F2 on occasion, a simple turn on and go machine, I just turn it on disc out iron and I am off swinging. The stock DD will give you better target separation vs another machine with a concentric coil and it will give more depth than the many other machines that come with an 8" coil. I am not, now and never will be, a dig it all kinda guy thus I overlooked machines that did not give a target ID number.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could this not be fun? Sounds like as equal a way as can be to go about the hunts. Sorry in advance to some of you who hunt with the most up to date and expensive rigs, But I'll place my bets on the experienced hunter regardless of gear...

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it with a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric Power Tool 6 Function Metal Detector

$39.99

And don't forget your 20 % off coupon. :P

View attachment 1718457
Hahahaha....I was gonna offer up my Bounty Hunter 1 but I don't want to wear Terry's knees out digging everything

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you shoul take a look at analog looking detectors such as Pirate, they can be quite a good performes for a lover price, if that is not considered as chitting.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming you will be buying a new machine at retail for $250.00 max I went to the Kellyco website to see your options. I came to the conclusion that you should buy an F22 that comes with the DD coil (retail $239). I consider the F22 an upgraded F2 that uses only one 9v battery vs the F2 using two and it is weatherproof. I find myself grabbing my F2 on occasion, a simple turn on and go machine, I just turn it on disc out iron and I am off swinging. The stock DD will give you better target separation vs another machine with a concentric coil and it will give more depth than the many other machines that come with an 8" coil. I am not, now and never will be, a dig it all kinda guy thus I overlooked machines that did not give a target ID number.

lol loco... heh... spend 250 to win 200 :P

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol loco... heh... spend 250 to win 200 :P

What would stop Terry from selling it after the competition? I am sure the bragging rights are worth more than the money that was bet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would stop Terry from selling it after the competition? I am sure the bragging rights are worth more than the money that was bet.

OR.... Keep it and have only 50 bucks into it.

Then hang on the wall and say to all those crew that attend the rum drinking "hey you see that... that's the detector that won the challenge"... " fifty two bottle caps and a worn down nickel".

" I won by a nickel". :P

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get any machine you can for as cheap as you can then go to the locale coin store with the money that is left then got

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Where do we place our bets? I bet $20 on the Deux kid.
:occasion14:
:boxing:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thing about it is: you're going to be digging a ton of targets to try and give yourself the advantage. He's probably going to be detecting as usual. I wouldn't be surprised if you came out ahead in jewelry from digging all the pulltab signals. :laughing7:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple years ago I paid $209.00 for this brand new & free shipping.Lot of MD for the price, and its only 2.5 pounds :)good luck...
https://mans.io/files/viewer/666998/1 010.JPG 006.JPG 012.JPG

Last edited:

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Yukon Coin Hustler II, Vibra-Tector 740, Pulse Dive (2), Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My money is on you. You got this!

Dowsing.jpg

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Terry you recommended the Tesoro Compadre for my granddaughter and she has done very well with it but Loco's analysis of the F22 is spot on IMHO.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it will depend on the sites you hunt but I would lean towards a compadre or coinmaster with a small 5.3 coil. You won't have the depth but you might be able to hold your own on the separation. I hunted my first year with the F22 and its a great tot lot machine you can turn the sens down and get pinpointer close to playground poles. The F22 has decent entry-level vdi to 4-6" inches but it down averages targets and but I sure found a lot with that machine.

I actually just gave my F22 away to a young kid who couldn't afford a metal detector and I'm looking forward to seeing his finds. Had I not I would have volunteered its service for this challenge.

(The DD coil might help some but the thought of going up against a Deus seems like suicide)

If the Compadre can unmask as good as the other Tesoro's and the Coinmaster should be similiar to my new favorite machine the MX5 then I would like my chances at the parks and maybe home sites. I would love to see a live video feed of this showdown though!

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
So when is this great matchup going to take place? FTR, my bet is on you Terry. That pic of you almost looked like myself back in the day and it seems I'm about a year older than you. Keep us appraised.

I have to ask if you guys will only use the detectors or will you be able to use a pinpointer too? This can make a big difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So when is this great matchup going to take place? FTR, my bet is on you Terry. That pic of you almost looked like myself back in the day and it seems I'm about a year older than you. Keep us appraised.

I have to ask if you guys will only use the detectors or will you be able to use a pinpointer too? This can make a big difference.

We start this Saturday, weather permitting. I'm going to use the Teknetics Eurotek Pro, which was sent to me by Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors. Keith sponsors my Youtube Channel, and thinks I can beat this young up and comer (or at least hold my own:tongue3:), with the 11" Double D on the ET Pro. Yeah Swaveab, I'll let the kid use a pinpointer. He'll need all the help he can get!:laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
This story has been told before...David and Goliath..

Good Luck David

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
We start this Saturday, weather permitting. I'm going to use the Teknetics Eurotek Pro, which was sent to me by Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors. Keith sponsors my Youtube Channel, and thinks I can beat this young up and comer (or at least hold my own:tongue3:), with the 11" Double D on the ET Pro. Yeah Swaveab, I'll let the kid use a pinpointer. He'll need all the help he can get!:laughing7:

nice choice. I like how it has a volume setting were you can mute out iron signals

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may have lost before you even get started from breaking the agreement on retail price. That detector you received retails for $300.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions