I have been challenged! Help me choose my weapon.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a gathering of local metal detectors and we had "the" discussion - whether it is the machine, or the operator, that leads to better finds. Before I knew it my extra large mouth was saying I could find just as much with an entry-level machine, as a new to intermediate hobbyist with the best machine on the market. Much to my surprise, one of the newer kids (with an XP Deus), piped up and said he would take that bet. We agreed that I could use any machine under $250.00 retail, and that we would detect together once a week over the next three-months. At the end of that time we will compare our finds, and a panel of our buddies will decide on the winner. The winner gets $200.00 and bragging rights.:tongue3:

Which machine would you choose with a retail of $250.00 or less?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh!! I wish my old BFO was still working, I'd join you just to show younger folks how well those old machines did. Just dig a bit more trash with them but gold chains rang out well on them. XP, Nox, CTX3030, Bounty Hunter, F2, I don't think it makes a difference if you are hunting the same site. The only exception may be on a silted in site or a heavily landscaped one where targets are unnaturally deep. One person will have better luck on any given day than all others on the same site no matter which machine they are using. All you gotta do is get your coil over a good target which is more luck than skill, I am sure you know the drill well and hopefully you'll come out on top or even.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got this Terry! That machine should be near the performance of the Delta 4000 which I bought for my nephew several years ago. Of course I had to test it out before giving it to him and I was very impressed with depth and performance. I feel with your experience you will easily come out on top. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

Steve

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh!! I wish my old BFO was still working, I'd join you just to show younger folks how well those old machines did. Just dig a bit more trash with them but gold chains rang out well on them. XP, Nox, CTX3030, Bounty Hunter, F2, I don't think it makes a difference if you are hunting the same site. The only exception may be on a silted in site or a heavily landscaped one where targets are unnaturally deep. One person will have better luck on any given day than all others on the same site no matter which machine they are using. All you gotta do is get your coil over a good target which is more luck than skill, I am sure you know the drill well and hopefully you'll come out on top or even.

Gunsil, do you remember the old Bounty Hunter Mini Red Baron? It was a simple little detector with a 6 inch coil. I had one as a teenager and it was a silver magnet! I would take it to old fair grounds absolutely loaded with steel bottle caps and pull tabs and just cherry pick all kinds of silver left behind by the high end Whites and Garrets guys were using back then. I didn't dig much trash either.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, Experience does matter and even with a machine that you are not used to, you'll get it down and be putting yourself in front quickly! This will be interesting.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eurotek Pro is not a bad choice. Unless the ground will be highly mineralized, yuo will be a hard competitor. I would use small coil to avoid deep targets - more shallow targets can be digged in the same thime with the same probability to be good or bad as deep ones. So you can bit him on statistics.

There is a lot of salt in what you are doing. The fact is, in 95% of what the average detectorist needs the differeces between a fair and a top line VLF are minute. However, as the enviroment conditions becomes harsher, the advantages of top line VLF will rapidly manifest. You should avoid biches and salty water, highly mineralized areas and almost hounted-out areas where only deep targets remained - unless you intend to use the larger DD coil. I believe you will be quite even with that machine on heavy contaminated places, the small coil is a plus here. Good luck, and do report how it turned out.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a firm believer in the experience of the operator! I've used the ACE 250 and was a very good machine for the money. Now with the "better" machines I use, still dig almost everything just deeper.

Good Luck Terry! :occasion14:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
DRUM ROLL......And the WINNER IS?
(Also show us your finds.)

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck today if ya'll get out!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We start this Saturday, weather permitting. I'm going to use the Teknetics Eurotek Pro, which was sent to me by Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors. Keith sponsors my Youtube Channel, and thinks I can beat this young up and comer (or at least hold my own:tongue3:), with the 11" Double D on the ET Pro. Yeah Swaveab, I'll let the kid use a pinpointer. He'll need all the help he can get!:laughing7:
All I can say is you could, with your experience, do it with a BROKEN Bounty hunter! TTC

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, we could not start today as the young man has the flu! I'm disappointed but plan to get out with the TEP, and start getting to know it today and tomorrow. I hope he is up to getting started next weekend. I'm going to call his wife (a Pediatrician!), and see if he's faking it!:tongue3:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good choice, Terry. Similar to the Delta 4000, which I refuse to sell off. I would take that bet if I were you too...and I own a Deus.

The order of preference to detecting success: 1. Site selection, 2. Overall experience on a broad range of sites and types of detecting, 3. Experience on different types of machines, 4. Really knowing the machine you are using (you are going to have to work on that one, Terry, but 1, 2, and 3 help), 5. Overlapping swing coverage and know when to dig (detectorist skill), 6. Grid site (if not time constrained) or Fast target recovery (if time constrained), 7. Detector.

The tool (detector) is waaay down on the list. Using Tiger Woods' golf clubs or the latest super whamadyne Driver does not give a relative golf newcomer, Tiger Woods' success.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, you could probably sell tickets to watch you guys go at it! Will you be recording it for us to watch? Best of luck...

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a fun contest! I have a DEUS and I have to say if it’s a young guy without much experience he’s at a disadvantage.
If it was me...I’d slay you ;)

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad used to say: “Old age, and treachery, will outwit youth and skill, any day”
My money is on Terry. Go get him pard!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If at all possible, can you let us know how the rating of the finds is gonna go? I think I read where ya'll had some bystanders that will judge that...what will be considered junk and what will be a keeper.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If at all possible, can you let us know how the rating of the finds is gonna go? I think I read where ya'll had some bystanders that will judge that...what will be considered junk and what will be a keeper.
I think they should dig all. Judge junk by the pound and keepers by the value. Assuming both will have the same areas, the one that has a larger keeper to junk ratio is the winner. TTC

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This weekend, I am going upstate to Ancram, New York, with another TNet member, John845 from Newburgh, to present a young veteran with a new metal detector and digging gear. He is working on, and recovering from, some real problems with PTSD and drug addiction. Clean now for seven-months, he and I think metal detecting will be a fantastic pastime and hobby for him. I want to thank Keith Leppert at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors for giving me the Whites Coinmaster at wholesale - he didn't make a dime on it and shipped it to me free when I told him why I wanted it!:notworthy:

Anyway, I'm trying to convince "XP Deus Man" to come with us, but this will be a full day trip with a 2-hour ride each way, so we'll see. Either way, I'll film what I can:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread