I have been challenged! Help me choose my weapon.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a gathering of local metal detectors and we had "the" discussion - whether it is the machine, or the operator, that leads to better finds. Before I knew it my extra large mouth was saying I could find just as much with an entry-level machine, as a new to intermediate hobbyist with the best machine on the market. Much to my surprise, one of the newer kids (with an XP Deus), piped up and said he would take that bet. We agreed that I could use any machine under $250.00 retail, and that we would detect together once a week over the next three-months. At the end of that time we will compare our finds, and a panel of our buddies will decide on the winner. The winner gets $200.00 and bragging rights.:tongue3:

Which machine would you choose with a retail of $250.00 or less?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, you already know, but I’m going to tell you; that will come back to you many fold. You’re a good man. I’ll pray for the young man.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK.
Now I need to know TWO things?

Did you take the vet out on dig with John845? Howd it go? ( Great job by the way.)

Did you dig competitvely this weekend?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going on 2 weeks now since last post... Soooo what's the update... if any ?

stoney

Oct 12, 2012
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great deal! Buy a new detector so you can have a summertime of fun, and at the end maybe someone will give you $200! If not, you have a fun little detector and had a blast!

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think any of the Tesoro's but my preference would be the Tejon, the Compass too is a good choice, I can remember Allen Cannon and his skill with Compass detectors...

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was at a gathering of local metal detectors and we had "the" discussion - whether it is the machine, or the operator, that leads to better finds. Before I knew it my extra large mouth was saying I could find just as much with an entry-level machine, as a new to intermediate hobbyist with the best machine on the market. Much to my surprise, one of the newer kids (with an XP Deus), piped up and said he would take that bet. We agreed that I could use any machine under $250.00 retail, and that we would detect together once a week over the next three-months. At the end of that time we will compare our finds, and a panel of our buddies will decide on the winner. The winner gets $200.00 and bragging rights.:tongue3:

Which machine would you choose with a retail of $250.00 or less?

I would bet my money on you winning. My son and I used to metal detect together and I had way more experience and a better machine. He had an Ace 250 and I had an AT Pro and Nox 800. He would find more good targets because he was basically forced to dig everything and he did.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tease. tease, tease....what happened? Did somebody make off with the pot? Did the challenger take flight? Inquiring minds want to know...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Um? 3B390F8C-EA6E-4F68-80EF-88386848F075.png

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another weekend coming up....ya'll hunting or did we fall for click bait...:dontknow:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earth calling Terry, Earth calling Terry!!!!

You were on the forum as recently as yesterday, did you forget about this thread??

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry everyone! A lot going on the past couple of weeks. Wife started Radiation therapy after her operation for breast cancer, and my Granddaughter completed her Air Force Basic Training, and is now an Airman! We have hunted together twice now and have basically broken even. Three-silvers each and a ring for me, a broach for him. We are going to try again this weekend, and I'll see if we can get some video. Hang in there, we are just getting started!

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK.
Now I need to know TWO things?

Did you take the vet out on dig with John845? Howd it go? ( Great job by the way.)

Did you dig competitvely this weekend?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the kid has any idea what he's doing, you will lose. Me and a buddy did an experiment just like you are doing. We both have decades of experience and he used the ACE250 and I used my E-Trac. It wasn't even close, he couldn't detect to the depth I was.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the kid has any idea what he's doing, you will lose. Me and a buddy did an experiment just like you are doing. We both have decades of experience and he used the ACE250 and I used my E-Trac. It wasn't even close, he couldn't detect to the depth I was.

Um, that's not the same experiment, the idea is to see whether experience trumps equipment. The same experiment would have been to put a newbie on the Etrac. Of course, if detectirist experience is the same, the "better" detector should win. That's pretty obvious.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just to be different the White Coinmaster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread