I have been challenged! Help me choose my weapon.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a gathering of local metal detectors and we had "the" discussion - whether it is the machine, or the operator, that leads to better finds. Before I knew it my extra large mouth was saying I could find just as much with an entry-level machine, as a new to intermediate hobbyist with the best machine on the market. Much to my surprise, one of the newer kids (with an XP Deus), piped up and said he would take that bet. We agreed that I could use any machine under $250.00 retail, and that we would detect together once a week over the next three-months. At the end of that time we will compare our finds, and a panel of our buddies will decide on the winner. The winner gets $200.00 and bragging rights.:tongue3:

Which machine would you choose with a retail of $250.00 or less?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Icemaiden

Apr 25, 2019
Western NY State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Healing energy headed your wife's way in her fight against the big C...Best of luck to your family! Also, congrats to your granddaughter - awesome achievement.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry everyone! A lot going on the past couple of weeks. Wife started Radiation therapy after her operation for breast cancer, and my Granddaughter completed her Air Force Basic Training, and is now an Airman! We have hunted together twice now and have basically broken even. Three-silvers each and a ring for me, a broach for him. We are going to try again this weekend, and I'll see if we can get some video. Hang in there, we are just getting started!

Prays for your wifes's fast recovery and congratulations for your granddauther - freedom doesn't come by itselfe. Good detecting, keep us posted.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good headphones can make a difference...

Ace 250 and a good set of headphones. Sometimes the really faint signals are clarified by doing a little digging. The soil can mask the inductance properties of the target. This is a thing I noticed about the Ace 250. I use the Gray Ghost headphones. Colorado soil can be difficult, especially in the Arkansas River valley with all the black sand masking targets.

Panoramic view of a place I hunt...
panotxcrk.jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To bad i did not see this till now. You might have considered a Minelab go Find 66

I hope and PRAY your WIFE does real well with these treatments !!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry everyone! A lot going on the past couple of weeks. Wife started Radiation therapy after her operation for breast cancer, and my Granddaughter completed her Air Force Basic Training, and is now an Airman! We have hunted together twice now and have basically broken even. Three-silvers each and a ring for me, a broach for him. We are going to try again this weekend, and I'll see if we can get some video. Hang in there, we are just getting started!

So whats going on here something or nothing?

You must have missed post 76 when you did your detailed read through of the thread so I quoted it for you. Waiting for the next update, but as you can see, Terry kinda has real life going on at the moment. Thanks for your concern and understanding.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I just saw this post, what an interesting contest! Amazing to hear about your granddaughter, and thank you for helping a veteran in need. I wish your wife a speedy recovery, she sure is lucky to have you by her side.

Mike

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bummer, by now hope everything is going better for you, years ago my wife lost he battle with cancer, that is totally devastating....

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are taking this into consideration, as well as how we hunt the location each week. We are thinking about dividing the location into halves, then switching after two-hours, each hunting behind the other for the next two-hours. I think it will be a good experience and a lot of fun. :skullflag:

Terry, make a video of this - it'll be loved, as I've always thot ATTITUDE has a lot to do with luck - of course, you have to consider the site, too...!
Choose Tesoro each time

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After more than forty years of detecting, using lots of different machines, I would love to have a challenge like that. I'm pretty much a "dig all signals" person, so the detector brand and price doesn't matter too much. Some detectors are more sensitive than others, some built for special purposes, but they all do the same thing: detect metal.

In old ground without a lot of modern trash I'd take on some hot-shot newbie kid with my old D-TEX BFO if necessary, and still have a good chance of winning the bet. Perhaps he would clean my clock, but it's my belief that experience and patience outweigh blind ambition and fumbling hope.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, update time. I'm going to call him "Mr. XPD," and so far he has chickened out from the challenge for the last three-weeks. I have talked to a couple of local fella's with Minelab and Deus machines, and while they have expressed interest, none have accepted the challenge. Sorry guys and gals! :dontknow:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, update time. I'm going to call him "Mr. XPD," and so far he has chickened out from the challenge for the last three-weeks. I have talked to a couple of local fella's with Minelab and Deus machines, and while they have expressed interest, none have accepted the challenge. Sorry guys and gals! :dontknow:

Did you really expect much else?

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Soloman Challenge

And that, folks, is the difference between the young bull and the old bull (well one difference).

Too bad, that would have been both entertaining and educational. thanks for the update, one day someone else will accept the "Soloman Challenge"! I admire your working with our vets too.

Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread