I have been challenged! Help me choose my weapon.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a gathering of local metal detectors and we had "the" discussion - whether it is the machine, or the operator, that leads to better finds. Before I knew it my extra large mouth was saying I could find just as much with an entry-level machine, as a new to intermediate hobbyist with the best machine on the market. Much to my surprise, one of the newer kids (with an XP Deus), piped up and said he would take that bet. We agreed that I could use any machine under $250.00 retail, and that we would detect together once a week over the next three-months. At the end of that time we will compare our finds, and a panel of our buddies will decide on the winner. The winner gets $200.00 and bragging rights.:tongue3:

Which machine would you choose with a retail of $250.00 or less?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
eurotek pro. i use it and i think its a great machine

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could probably find a Tesoro and and then proceed to show him how things are done.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ace 250 or Tesoro Compadre. Either one will find everything that the Deus will sniff out within depth. The Deus will be tough to beat on the deeper goodies and eliminating the trash he has to dig compared to the trash you’ll dig.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would go with an Ace 250 also. Terry, I have been meaning to ask you why you have a pic. of a young Kenny Rogers on your Avatar.:laughing7:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you buy a used machine? :D This ought to be interesting. Hope you keep us updated on your finds.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with an Ace 250 also. Terry, I have been meaning to ask you why you have a pic. of a young Kenny Rogers on your Avatar.:laughing7:

LOL! That is my favorite picture of myself, taken by a Getty photographer at Grand Central Station, in 1978. I was 21-years-old, and out of the Army for about 18-months. Yeah, I used to be young and good looking. Now, I'm just another old fat guy!:laughing9::tongue3:

Attachments

• IMG00005.jpg
    IMG00005.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 125
  • passport.jpg
    passport.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 123
  • rt.jpg
    rt.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 122

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Me thinks thou have shot thyself in thy foot. Not many options beyond a Compadre.

Good luck!

gw

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use a machete, tell him when he digs you swing

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good challenge. Both of you will have great stuff and it'll depend on who grades what finds are "special" I've seen just as good items popped up with an entry level machine as the high end stuff. Regardless of how good you are, you still have to swing over the item. I think most of us move to fast. This is gonna be interesting!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry you been around and are a skilled hunter - so my money is on you
when i started out - i had a Compass 94b from the early 70s - volume knob and sensitivity knob only on it
and once i got a few yrs under my belt - i was out shooting the big boys with the top of the line Garretts, Whites and Fisher of the day
they all had discriminators -most of them cranked them and a lot of them missed a lot
- i dug it all = i still do
fast retrieval is important too - on land I use a large knife and dig a large clean plug and use a good pinpointer and dont dilly dally
many times depending on the soil - when i flip a large plug dirt will break off or separate where the target is - you dont get that with a shovel
example
attachment.php
attachment.php

in water i use a large basket scoop and can get target on first or second try quick - (wearing a mask helps big time)
i watch others taking 5-6 scoops to get target - so been times where ive gotten close to 3 times the targets they have
if i use a floating sieve - mine has 2 sides - i will dump first target on one side then second target on the other then stop when i get third
then check scoop first and then the sieve and quickly pluck and then move on - i will mostly do this when limited for time

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,

in such a challenge "luck" has a greater role than "tech" or "skill". Would be better to say: "Hey you cover a halfacre w/ your deus, and I go afterwards. If I fins something non-ferrous, I won".

The machine? Something with a double d coil would be my choice. Allows you to cover more ground. That would for me rule out the Ace, which is imho otehrwise a sound entry level machine.

Greets Namxat

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it with a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric Power Tool 6 Function Metal Detector

$39.99

And don't forget your 20 % off coupon. :P

image_25250.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take on the challenge... using only my pin pointer :P

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

in such a challenge "luck" has a greater role than "tech" or "skill". Would be better to say: "Hey you cover a halfacre w/ your deus, and I go afterwards. If I fins something non-ferrous, I won".

The machine? Something with a double d coil would be my choice. Allows you to cover more ground. That would for me rule out the Ace, which is imho otehrwise a sound entry level machine.

Greets Namxat

We are taking this into consideration, as well as how we hunt the location each week. We are thinking about dividing the location into halves, then switching after two-hours, each hunting behind the other for the next two-hours. I think it will be a good experience and a lot of fun. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread