Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect a Fort in New Orleans the “Old Spanish Fort” basically it’s has brinks up still, but archaeologists have excavated it and became a Amusement Park in the 30’s and a Party Park in the 80’s me included. Well I’ve found a grapeshot the and a Revolutionary War French Infantry “Scripted I” pewter button. Now I was on the side of the fort dig in a white shell mound among the iron and luck up with a small skeleton key. It was a small hunk of rust and I broke off the softer part and came out with this IMG_2636.jpg Then I did electrolysis on it and got this. IMG_2638.jpg My question is what’s the odds on it being Rev war or earlier? Did some research and stumbled upon some hand forged French 1700’s skeleton keys that is closest to this on. IMG_2645.jpg IMG_2646.jpg This one’s around 4”. This key measures at 2 1/2” and I’m sure some broke of. The Fort was first occupied by the French in 1701 then later on buy the Spanish. Question is do you think this is a hand forged 1700’s key or Revolutionary War early 1800’s key? IMG_2649.jpg IMG_0955.jpg IMG_0958.jpg The Script “I” Infantry button IMG_1167.jpg

So with all that what’s your opinion? Thanks for any feedback [emoji631]

Attachments

• IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got skeletons from 1600s thru 1800s areas - its hard to tell them apart
usually we just go by what is found with or around them up here in New eng.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive got skeletons from 1600s thru 1800s areas - its hard to tell them apart
usually we just go by what is found with or around them up here in New eng.

Hey Casper well the French were there in the 1700’s and the Spanish were there 1800’s but my only 2 artifacts where the French scripted I Rev Button and the grapeshot. So I’ll say early 1800’s. I’m happy with that [emoji1360]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple things. The key can be 18th to 19th century. I would guess around 1800-1820 as this is the age of the items found. The "I" button you have is a standard issue US War of 1812 Infantry button. They are well documented, so this would have been made in the time frame for the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. Keep digging, there will be more. You probably should pick up a copy of Albert's book on buttons if you can find one. I also have "Uniform Buttons of the United States", but it does not go as early as the War of 1812.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple things. The key can be 18th to 19th century. I would guess around 1800-1820 as this is the age of the items found. The "I" button you have is a standard issue US War of 1812 Infantry button. They are well documented, so this would have been made in the time frame for the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. Keep digging, there will be more. You probably should pick up a copy of Albert's book on buttons if you can find one. I also have "Uniform Buttons of the United States", but it does not go as early as the War of 1812.

I always appreciate you smoky You’ve always steered me in the right direction God bless you

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Truth. I tend to shoot straight. Going detecting tomorrow. Rev War site. That "I" button is actually in pretty good shape. Lots come out of the ground now looking like used dog food. Yours is nice. I've found a couple of the brass officers' buttons, but for some unknown reason never found one of these.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Truth. I tend to shoot straight. Going detecting tomorrow. Rev War site. That "I" button is actually in pretty good shape. Lots come out of the ground now looking like used dog food. Yours is nice. I've found a couple of the brass officers' buttons, but for some unknown reason never found one of these.

Good luck smokey let us know how it went [emoji1360]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread