Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahoy mates - I've got a grandson who has been going out detecting with his dad and me since he was 2. He's gotten pretty good at using the Garrett pinpointer once holes are dug, but I'd like to get him a small but legit metal detector to get started with. He's just a first grader, so too small for mine even when I collapse them fully.

Any experience or ideas on best options for a tyke to get going on? Would greatly appreciate all responses and suggestions!

Best to you all - JD

:skullflag: :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start him with a Minelab Go Find.
Lightweight, compact detector.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started my Granddaughter with the Tesoro Compadre but she quickly "outgrew" it. The Go Find seems like a very good option.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at the Teknetics Digitek and the Whites Xventure. You might want to look at the Quest X5 also.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Xterra 305 come with a short lower shaft and is a much better machine than the GoFind (IMO)
If he takes care of it it will grow with him and you can buy upgrade coils to use with it..

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Xterra 305 come with a short lower shaft and is a much better machine than the GoFind (IMO)
If he takes care of it it will grow with him and you can buy upgrade coils to use with it..

Scaling it up as he gets older is a good call-out; thanks Icewing!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter uses my old Whites ID5 its a perfect machine for kids 150$ off Facebook market place, she managed to dig a sweet gold ring and likes to rub it in my face lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread