Finding Landowner for Ghost Town

zbaxter7

Greenie
May 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was researching places to Metal Detect in Texas and a site recommended old ghost towns. This made a lot of sense to me. I looked some up and found some I would be interested in giving a shot. The problem is, most are on private land so I need to ask permission but I can’t figure out who owns the land because:

1. I don’t have an address since the town doesn’t exist. All I have is longitude and latitude.

2. It would be a lot of work to drive a couple of hours to try and find the owner, and if I am able, to potentially be told no.

Any recommendations on figuring out who the land owners are so I can properly ask for permission to metal detect on their land?

Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check to see if Fetch GIS is available for that county, if so then thatll give you starting point on who owns the land..

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd the GIS advice its free. Just google the county name and gis or egis and hopefully they have a map where you can search by address or long/lat and get the property owner name, taxes, etc.

Then it gets a little tricky you might have to whitepages the owners name and with a little luck find an email or phone number.

I am so far from Texas if you want to PM me a county in Texas I could give it a shot for you.

OP
OP
Z

zbaxter7

Greenie
May 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at Alabama, TX. With GIS, I found it was originally given to Elisha Clapp but he passed away a long time ago. I don’t want to be a pest and contact everyone with name clapp from Crockett so I’m stuck again.

All that being said, I will give a phone call to the tax accessor and see what they say.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zbaxter7,

You can usually find that info on the local county GIS website for the county it is located in...So in other words...if you know the county or township it is located in...you just have to poke around on the web until you find the correct GIS website...:thumbsup: Should give you some info as to who actually owns the land currently...

Got-Good-Tones

44newman

Jun 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe acrevalue.com, I signed up and it shows a lot of properties, and owners, mostly out of city limits.

JamesRS

Apr 28, 2019
Vincennes Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Think GIS. Think GIS contains a lot of information and displays boundaries on an aerial photo view.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread