Etrac Punching above my weight

Johnnyma

Jun 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys not been on here before. Iv recently got into metal detecting and after a few month on an entry level one I bought myself an etrac. Really Impressed with it but I’m punching a bit above my weight (learning the basics of the hunt and a learning a bad ass machine)I’m not worried I normally do. Anyway I could do with a few questioned answered to help me speed up my learning proses and get me some history. If i had a signal that had two different sounds coming from it but not great numbers and bouncing screen, Do I dig it? And What’s the best way to know something good is next to iron if numbers are bouncy? Any help or tips would be great as I’m hooked and enjoying the learning.

Upvote 0

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging it all will help you learn to interpret those iffy signals and vdi numbers. When in doubt, dig it out. Once you become one with the machine, then you can decide whether to dig it or not. Cherry picking is ok, but you’ll still miss some good targets.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! You will like it here! The best way to understand what the E-TRAC is sensing is to dig it, especially if you are receiving two different sounds. Typically, when I get just a single sound and the numbers jump, it's iron.

There's a free E-TRAC Emulator software package that you can download at this web site... The Beep Goes On

It will help you see how the E-TRAC responds to various coin and jewelry targets. Good luck!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Johnny, "welcome aboard" So the Etrac is unique in its interpretation of target information. This means its all about what the signal process is doing for "Your" soil context. With so many frequencies hitting the ground some soil types will effect the machines target Id differently. (This happens with all VLF detectors but the Etrac is sending so many different frequencies at the same time its a curse and a blessing) Only way to know is to learn it, and the only way to learn it, is to keep good notes and dig everything for a little while. This is a great machine however the trick to it is "GO SLOW"
For this machine I really recommend a good test garden, very capable machine.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread