Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt the company reps are reading this, but one feature that I have often wanted on a metal detector, but have never heard of before, would be the ability to discriminate on depth... or, rather... lack of depth. I know that the size indicator is just a guess, and I also know that I have found a few very nice coins on, or very near, the surface. But given that, there are many situations where I would be willing to take the risks and use a feature that would let me ignore targets from 0" to whatever depth I may indicate (probably 0"-2" in most cases).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my whites XLT has a depth trigger, I love it and use it all the time. when you get near your target you pull the trigger and it gets louder as you get over the target and then will show you how deep the target is. I wish my NOX had this feature!

Nox has the depth gauge. And pinpoint mode will show the depth of the currently pinpointed target. Of course, neither one of these is anything like what I am talking about, where you can hide surface junk.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett's GTI 2500 has a feature that is somewhat akin to what you're seeking. They call it surface elimination.

"Surface Elimination This Search Aid is for use where quantities of metallic trash are present on the surface or at shallow depths. This function eliminates detection of objects of all sizes to the specified depth. Use the MENU touchpad to display Surface Elim on the screen to turn on. It will be turned OFF at the factory settings. If you desire to use this Search Aid, press the (+) and (-) touchpads to set the desired elimination depth. This depth (to 4 inches beneath the coil) will be shown on the Upper Scale and on the Imaging Grid."

Page 43 of the manual: https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/1525000_gti_2500_manual_english.pdf

I don't know how well the feature works. I haven't had my GTI 2500 long and haven't tried using that feature.

That is exactly what I'm thinking of!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been searching the backyard recently and it is covered with junk and iron. Really like the idea of being able to ignore (not blank-out) surface targets and just respond to targets, say 5-7" in my case. Right now my detector sounds like an old time machine gun as I slowly sweep across the lawn and the detector continuously blanks-out and back in as it hits iron. Still trying to find the best way to hunt in this environment. One way to find good targets in this environment is to use target trace, CTX 3030, and note where on the Fe:CO coordinates a potentially good target is located among the trash. But trash iron appears shallow (1-3") and good targets (coins, tokens and medals) appear deeper (5-8"). Different sweep directions, really slow sweep, vary recovery speed, sensitivity (more is not always better), discrimination (less is not always better), the beat goes on... But a depth discriminator - count me in, if it works.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you shuld look at Nokta Invenio, i know it's too expencieve, but so ware first mobile phones....

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you shuld look at Nokta Invenio, i know it's too expencieve, but so ware first mobile phones....
I've watched a couple of Chill Bill;s Invenio videos. I really like the imaging technology. The Invenio, though, is a special-purpose device, aside from costing as much 10 or more top notch consumer detectors, and according to Bill, pretty much is a two-man operation.

What I'm asking for would be an extremely simple feature to offer... programming-wise, it would simply be an "if target is < minimum_depth than make no sound" condition. No more surface clad and surface pull tabs. Sure, it could mask something deeper lying beneath the ignored target, but right now I'm mentally ignoring them anyway.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sold for 6K already.
By the way, i own a machine with sw posibility to ignore small items - size can be adjusted without losing of depth, working well with large coils, i.e. 70 cm of diameter and larger, comes handy for militaria. I think the GTI does what you are looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread