Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt the company reps are reading this, but one feature that I have often wanted on a metal detector, but have never heard of before, would be the ability to discriminate on depth... or, rather... lack of depth. I know that the size indicator is just a guess, and I also know that I have found a few very nice coins on, or very near, the surface. But given that, there are many situations where I would be willing to take the risks and use a feature that would let me ignore targets from 0" to whatever depth I may indicate (probably 0"-2" in most cases).

Upvote 0

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think that is a great idea, but I imagine that the feature would have to rely on the same output or limitations as the current depth gauges on the detector.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that is a great idea, but I imagine that the feature would have to rely on the same output or limitations as the current depth gauges on the detector.
Yes, I'm sure it would be based on that, and be using the same assumptions based on the assumed size of the coin and the strength of the signal.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro used to have "Surface Blanking". You could adjust it so you didn't hear shallow targets. Worked only so-so.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you really KNOW your machine you can get a pretty good idea of the depth of a dime sized target. Of course large cents and halves can/will be the "wildcard(s)", etc. Back when I used to coinshoot exclusively I'd leave almost all the shallow coins for the other guys as I was trying to focus on the coins I wanted which usually are the deeper ones. Time is valuable so digging shallow clad/zinc was wasting precious time (imo). Learn your machine as best you can...…….

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
almost forgot..... You can also raise your coil off ground to the point the signal disappears...that can help, especially with those beer cans and larger pieces of crap. Raise your coil above ground and if target still bangs at 12+ inches...most likely large crap/can.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you really KNOW your machine you can get a pretty good idea of the depth of a dime sized target. Of course large cents and halves can/will be the "wildcard(s)", etc. Back when I used to coinshoot exclusively I'd leave almost all the shallow coins for the other guys as I was trying to focus on the coins I wanted which usually are the deeper ones. Time is valuable so digging shallow clad/zinc was wasting precious time (imo). Learn your machine as best you can...…….
You're missing the point. I sometimes don't want all that chatter. I know how to know when its a surface target. I just want the ability to discriminate it out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no, no! My 18th century button was 1/2" deep today! My one gold coin was ON TOP of the beach sand!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, no, no! My 18th century button was 1/2" deep today! My one gold coin was ON TOP of the beach sand!

As I said, "I know that the size indicator is just a guess, and I also know that I have found a few very nice coins on, or very near, the surface. But given that, there are many situations where I would be willing to take the risks".

I found my first 2 cent piece laying right on top of the soil on a farm field, too. I would not be using this feature in a place like that. Obviously you would have to be able to turn it on or off.

Esotericvalue

Feb 10, 2019
WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be the first to say it, "first world problems" I am just happy there is quality equipment to use that let's you be very selective as a general rule of thumb, surface chatter us just part of travelling the road

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be the first to say it, "first world problems" I am just happy there is quality equipment to use that let's you be very selective as a general rule of thumb, surface chatter us just part of travelling the road
It isn't really a "first world problem". In fact, any detector that already has a depth indicator has everything it needs.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather have a machine that would accurately I.D. aluminum in all venues, land and sea.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd rather have a machine that would accurately I.D. aluminum in all venues, land and sea.
I think we'd all rather have that. I don't know that its an "either-or", though.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was thinking about this some more... pretty sure that unless you own it to detect landmines in your streets, just simply owning a metal detector is a "first world thing"

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting and who knows if any of the detector companies read detecting threads and are "mining" them for inputs for new possibilities?.............63bkpkr

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett's GTI 2500 has a feature that is somewhat akin to what you're seeking. They call it surface elimination.

"Surface Elimination This Search Aid is for use where quantities of metallic trash are present on the surface or at shallow depths. This function eliminates detection of objects of all sizes to the specified depth. Use the MENU touchpad to display Surface Elim on the screen to turn on. It will be turned OFF at the factory settings. If you desire to use this Search Aid, press the (+) and (-) touchpads to set the desired elimination depth. This depth (to 4 inches beneath the coil) will be shown on the Upper Scale and on the Imaging Grid."

Page 43 of the manual: https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/1525000_gti_2500_manual_english.pdf

I don't know how well the feature works. I haven't had my GTI 2500 long and haven't tried using that feature.

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my whites XLT has a depth trigger, I love it and use it all the time. when you get near your target you pull the trigger and it gets louder as you get over the target and then will show you how deep the target is. I wish my NOX had this feature!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother-in-law asked me once if my metal detector could tell how old a coin was... ???
That would be a handy feature... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mother-in-law asked me once if my metal detector could tell how old a coin was... ???
That would be a handy feature... :laughing7:

Of course you answered in the affirmative, I hope!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread