Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock tumbler is fastest way to clean volumes of dirty clad.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To get the dirt off them tumble them for at least 30 minutes in a rock tumbler with water, a little dish soap and some aquarium gravel. Then if you want to get the rust off the clad coins put them in a solution of salt and vinegar OR some toilet bowl cleaner, shake them around a few minutes then tumble them again for an hour or two. Do not put the salt/vinegar solution in the tumbler. They'll come out looking good IMG_0355.JPG These are some of mine after tumbling with the method I mentioned.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just don’t mix the copper with the silver coins as it will turn them red. If tumbling use separate drums. Good luck!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don’t mix the copper with the silver coins as it will turn them red. If tumbling use separate drums. Good luck!

If youre going to be dumping them in a coin-star or counter machine anyway, just tumble it all together. Clean is all the matters, not color or staining.

SWINGER1969

May 11, 2019
Morristown,Minnesota
Detector(s) used
garrett at max, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a similar method with a brass tumbler used for polishing shell casings before reloading. if its all clad i run it all togther the bank doesn't care what color it is. I avoid coin star machines as they charge a fee my bank doesn't.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Street gravel works a little faster then aquarium gravel. It does scratch them up a little more but the rougher edges work better. I usually run them with dish soap for 30 mins or so then rinse the soapy water off using a strainer and run them for another 30 with just water. It works good enough for the bank. I've sent some pretty chewed up zincolns through with out any issues.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just don't include any potentially valuable or keeper coins in the tumbler. That could ruin most of the collector value.

On those I gently rub with an old toothbrush.

Good luck

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't bother with adding any soap or media (gravel). I just separate them by type and fill the drum about half way with coins and the rest of the way with water and let them tumble for a couple of hours. Then rinse them thoroughly and spread them out on a towel to dry.

That's all you need to do to put them through a coin counter.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry forgot to add if they’re keepers tumble separately. Otherwise the guys are right, if they are going to a coin star or similar, there is no need to separate. Unfortunately it may contaminate the drum you may intend to use for silver coins only. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread