Detecting Amusement Park

Switchblade

Sep 6, 2018
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I use to work at this amusement park that started in 1902. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushkill_Park

I'm doing some volunteer work there and got permission to detect pretty much everywhere on the park property. It has been detected before. So far found a bunch of nails, bolts and pull tabs. Coolest thing so far was a newer sledge hammer and an old railroad spike for the train ride. Will be back. It's a good place for me to familiarize myself with my detector as I'm new to this.

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amusement parks are good. Carnival sites better. I hunted the SW corner of a site in Milwaukee (see post of several years ago) that held a carnival on many occasions. I found 28 wheaties, 4 silver dimes, a silver quarter and a 1922 buff nickel. Only one Zincoln! The topsoil was pushed to the rear per EPA regs for an upcoming project. TTC

EDIT: see posts starting July 9, 2008 and up to and beyond July 29, 2008

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good places to hunt. People go there to spend money. Keep at it you are bound to find something interesting. Good luck.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d jump at the chance to detect amusement park grounds. As Hawk said “you’re bound to find something interesting”.
Good luck!

L

l2hunt

Never had an opportunity,, to hunt an amusement park but it would be so cool, first place I'd hunt is under the roller coaster hahaha

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start by identifying coin spots. Where people paid for tickets and concession stands. Is there any old pictures?
Start with high discrimination. Take out pennies,nickels,nails pull tabs, bottle caps and everything up to silver on your detector.
Use good headphones, listen for weak signals and dig them.
Cherry pick for silver, in an amusement park, I wouldn't think there is much gold. I wouldn't bother with penny targets and below.
The park has been there for 117 years, there're coins there.
Go slow, swing slow.
Look for a silver hit. When you dig one, there will be more near.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DETECTING TIP: Go to the amusement park or carnival. Map out where the concession stands are or where money exchanges hands. Another spot to check is the grass parking lots. These are a few of the best places to go coin hunting on the grounds. TTC

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another is the old picnic areas. A lot of companys used to have their annual get togethers at these places.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that sweet permission. I'd go look at historic aerials for a reference of what it looked like in the past. Good Luck

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was younger i did good at a few old amusement parks that closed - one area i was getting lots of IH pennies - guessing something was there that cost 1c
then another spot near an old dance hall i was getting lot of barber dimes
Ive been trying to search on line for where there was an old carnival over 100 yrs old that i hit with some older hunters when i was like 16 (round 1979)
an old timer told us of this spot where they held carnivals for over 100 yrs up to when he was a teenager and it was now an over grown field
others had expensive machine of that time - G.E.Bs by whites etc and for some reason theirs were acting up - my $99 Compass
was getting some interference but I was still finding all kinds of Barbers - v nickles - buffalos and IHs
other guys drove and even though they saw i was killing it they werent gonna stay and watch me - so we left
i bet there is a neighborhood there now but wish i could find the area to see if there is anything left to possibly hunt

OP
OP
S

Switchblade

Sep 6, 2018
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found more nails, bolts and the like. Found some old square nails. Also found some old rings from the carousel and .22 shells from the old shooting game. So far up to 38 cents clad.... All the relics and things I don't want are being donated back to them to create a collage of things found. So pretty cool none the less.

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck dude I am familiar with that place love Bushkill Falls but haven’t been there for years

OP
OP
S

Switchblade

Sep 6, 2018
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still nothing that exciting to report. Still finding lots of nails and other fasteners.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it, goodies await your coil...good luck! :occasion14:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to hit some in SWPa in the early 70s. We cleaned up. I used to fill up a cigar box with silver coins every month for a while. Used a Whites Coin 5 and my buddy used an Arado. Wouldn't mind going back now wigth one of the newer detectors. Probably find the place was turned into a housing development!!

OP
OP
S

Switchblade

Sep 6, 2018
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found more of the same. Couple wheat pennies. Found an old tag from the lockers for the pool. Also found a piece of gold necklace. working on getting some pictures. Right now I have a 5 gallon bucket pretty full of finds. Most are sorted out in ziplock bags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread