Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way is to have a jeweler look at it. You could buy a refractometer, but for a few hundred bucks, it's not worth it unless you find dozens of colored stone rings a year.

OP
OP
J

JamesRS

Apr 28, 2019
Vincennes Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Good idea.

In years past I found a dozen or so rings with synthetic stones, more keepsakes than jewelry. I pried out the fake stones and put them in a cloth bag. I waited until six or eight guys were trading stories at my local treasure hunter/metal detector shop hangout and without a word dumped the bag full of rubies, emeralds, and diamonds onto the counter. That was fun, except they wouldn't talk to me for about a month.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I find a lot of gold rings, Very, very rare to find real rubies or emeralds in lower "K" ............Anything above 18k the chances are much higher. But best to have checked like smokeythecat posted. That goes for diamonds also, 10k rare but 14k and up very possible. Strange is They put smaller diamonds in SS or the new age metal rings... :( ....anything to get the price up and a selling point.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is absolutely right - if you have a 100 yr old 10k ring you might get a real emerald in it
but odds are it is not -14k you night have a 50/50 chance - usually 18k stones have a high chance old or new
of having real stones
- see if you can find a guy that will check yours for free - if they tell you they have to
charge - move on and find a guy that dont

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread