bounty hunter Prospector questions

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just picked up one of the today when i got off work, followed all of the directions, in fact i had my wife reading them to me, so i could be sure and set it up correctly. first tests involved a nail, assorted US coins. the detector responded with each contact, then i got to the good stuff, my small jar of gold stuff that i had gotten from 2 bags of paydirt...........and here is where the problem begins, the detector did not notice anything in the container of paydirt gold................:icon_scratch:........if this detector wont see my gold on the patio, its sure not gonna see it under the surface of the ground out at the claim.........this is probably and older model of detector but i would think it would (even by accident) notice the gold in the container.

any suggestions for doing anything to make the detector work?

my wife is planning on taking this detector back to big 5 wednesday, to get the slightly more expensive detector, this one was 99$ the other one is 129$ if it fails we will take it back as well.

Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Detector will only see the largest gold piece in the container and not the accumulated amount of gold. Most metal detectors are tuned to the silver/copper range and not to Gold. If you are looking for a detector for gold hunting you need to get a specialty one that has the right frequency for gold. Most gold tuned detectors start out in the 400-500$ range. But you can sometimes pick up used ones off ebay for much cheaper.

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to invest in a detector that will detect gold, I don't think they are in the $129 range.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you try a gold ring??? more volume and bigger size if your looking for nuggets on your claim you might need a Better detector it going to cost you more than 99-129

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also show the Sample size of the gold your trying to Detect

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "might" see a gold ring, but it will not see .25 gram nugget or smaller. When detecting for native gold, some things you need to realize. #1 most the easy to detect gold has been found. There's still good sized nuggets out there. But if they evaded detection for the last 30-40 yrs. its not going to be easily found. #2 not all or even most gold bearing areas have detectable gold. Most placer gold areas have very small fragments of flakes, but alot of them.
#3 detectors: detecting a nugget depends on a few factors. Let's say your area has nuggets, some , but not necessarily all of the following factors come into play. How mineralized the ground is, how big the nugget is, how deep and what kind of detector you're using. Hope that helps. Im sure others will cover things I forgot to point out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread