Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County Tower City
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    34945 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Being 64, & detecting since I was 13ish.

I Have had Permission everywhere I've gone for the last 50 Years.

So when approached, & asked I bring up that I have always been allowed there in the Past.
    "People have always Been Friendly Around here... Good People !!! "

Makes it a Little harder for Someone to Say "well I'm a Bee'otch !" or "Not Me ! "
    SD51 and ROIGuy like this.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    3504 times
    At age 13, in 1968, you had permission to metal detect in local parks

I would have just gone and been my normal self never leaving a mess. i have never been kicked out of a park or school for metal detecting. I have never asked permission to metal detect in a park or school. I just go. I started this hobby in 1984 at age 20.

Dec 2003
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    34945 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by xr7ator View Post
    At age 13, in 1968, you had permission to metal detect in local parks

I would have just gone and been my normal self never leaving a mess. i have never been kicked out of a park or school for metal detecting. I have never asked permission to metal detect in a park or school. I just go. I started this hobby in 1984 at age 20.
    at that age I swung a Detector at Gettysburg . No I Did Not Dig.
    Was My Grandmothers Detector, My Parents took me Down to Detect
    But Something told me I Couldn't. I asked at the Souvenir Place , Got a confused look .
    Only pulled it out the Car once, Walked a Path to a Stone Wall & Back
    in maybe 5 Minutes, & Ignored the few signals. People All over.

I Don't know when they Added Metal Detectors To the Official Banned List.

most of my hunting back then was my place and relatives.

at 16, Had a Car, I Helped Myself. Church Yards, School Yards , Parks Etc.
    No one Bothered me.

At about 25 I Started Asking Permission, Got no's from preachers .

Please Note, Ages are Guesses Too Far back to Remembeer
    I Didn't ask at parks I already Hunted in the Past, But I've been approached by Grounds Keepers,
    At all & Friendly Discussion = Permission.
    even from those Deceased Now.

So
    I have always been allowed there in the Past.
    At New Spots, If there is a Grounds Keeper There & I'm nervous for Some Reason.

My Question is

"Is Detecting Still allowed ?"

IF I'm feeling particularly Confident, I Just get out Suit Up, Nod & smile towards the Grounds Keeper & Go at it.

I Like when I see the word for "Recreation" on a Park Sign.
    Because That's what I'm there for !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jun 21, 2019 at 02:35 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2016
    Florida
    435 times
    like my granpa used to say (as we were digging a 6 ft deep rectangular hole) shudappa youa face and digga
    SD51 and Juiceman like this.
    Cat-like reflexes with a sloth-like brain

Sep 2016
    GTA East, Ontario
    AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
    1197 times
    Metal Detecting

Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting

How is there not a closed discussion sticky at the top of the Sub for this topic?

Regarding your email. It wasn’t clear to me that they know who you are. If you used your name then as Jeff notes, you’ve been warned. If all they have is an email address, well then, the beg forgiveness rules still apply.
    Last edited by DigToChina; Jun 21, 2019 at 05:19 PM.
    jeff of pa and Toecutter like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    4333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    Being 64, & detecting since I was 13ish.

I Have had Permission everywhere I've gone for the last 50 Years.

So when approached, & asked I bring up that I have always been allowed there in the Past.

Makes it a Little harder for Someone to Say "well I'm a Bee'otch !" or "Not Me ! "
    Right on Jeff, well said...
    jeff of pa and RustyGold like this.

Dec 2003
    34945 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigToChina View Post
    How is there not a closed discussion sticky at the top of the Sub for this topic?

Regarding your email. It wasn’t clear to me that they know who you are. If you used your name then as Jeff notes, you’ve been warned. If all they have is an email address, well then, the beg forgiveness rules still apply.

Sorry ! Why should the Discussion Be Closed ?
    The OP Is not Attacking Responses . If someone attacks him or Others,
    They can be Removed.

Thread is Fine to me, So far

Sep 2016
    GTA East, Ontario
    AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
    1197 times
    Metal Detecting

Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    Sorry ! Why should the Discussion Be Closed ?
    The OP Is not Attacking Responses . If someone attacks him or Others,
    They can be Removed.

Thread is Fine to me, So far
    No, no I wrote that poorly. I was just suggesting there should be a sticky at the top (top of Metal Detecting subforum) that doesn’t have to have ongoing replies but collects the must know information that we see people miss again and again. Might help people avoid boxing themselves in by asking the wrong questions.
    Last edited by DigToChina; Jun 21, 2019 at 06:08 PM.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Minelab Equinox 600, AT max, AT pro, 8 coils, 2 Garrett carrots, 2 trash barrels (full) and some dull shovels.
    5392 times
    Coin shooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    As sick as it sounds, just carry a bag of syringes with you and tell them you are doing their job keeping the public safe
    Rum Tide, chub, Swaveab and 2 others like this.
    “I was a kid once, but I wasn’t very good at it”

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7686 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    When I see a groundskeeper or Park employee looking at me, I just smile and wave. They probably think I'm a friend of theirs, can't remember my name, and they're too embarrassed to come talk to me!
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Mar 2015
    New Bedford, MA
    White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
    694 times
    The park near my house is extremely old. Has been in use as a public ground almost as long as New Bedford has had residents. It is where I eyeballed found my 1776 half reale, just sitting on the ground after a good rain. I REALLY want to metal detect this park but it has the same rules - you can detect, but you cannot dig a hole.

There are no signs posted regarding metal detecting at this park so when I first moved here, I just did my thing. A cop drove by and told me there was no digging. I apologized and went along my way and confirmed the rules on the city website.

Every now and again when my gal and I walk our dog in the park, I will bring a metal detector and if I get a hit, I just use my index finger to root around. COMPLETELY UNSAFE but if someone comes along and says no digging, I can at least say "I don't have a shovel on me".

This park haunts my metal detecting dreams. New Bedford was once the richest city per capita in the world.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7686 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Aluminum Monster View Post
    The park near my house is extremely old. Has been in use as a public ground almost as long as New Bedford has had residents. It is where I eyeballed found my 1776 half reale, just sitting on the ground after a good rain. I REALLY want to metal detect this park but it has the same rules - you can detect, but you cannot dig a hole.

There are no signs posted regarding metal detecting at this park so when I first moved here, I just did my thing. A cop drove by and told me there was no digging. I apologized and went along my way and confirmed the rules on the city website.

Every now and again when my gal and I walk our dog in the park, I will bring a metal detector and if I get a hit, I just use my index finger to root around. COMPLETELY UNSAFE but if someone comes along and says no digging, I can at least say "I don't have a shovel on me".

This park haunts my metal detecting dreams. New Bedford was once the richest city per capita in the world.
    I'd use (and I have in the past) a probe and forceps. My forceps have the rubber insert to keep them from damaging the target. If the ground is soft enough, you can wallow out a hole, find the target with your pin pointer, and remove it with the forceps. Not fast or easy, but doable.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Dec 2003
    34945 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    When I see a groundskeeper or Park employee looking at me, I just smile and wave. They probably think I'm a friend of theirs, can't remember my name, and they're too embarrassed to come talk to me!
    Yes Most parks around Me, I'm friendly enough with the Grounds keepers.
    That if there is going to be work done. as soon as they see me They Tell me about it.

One park, when they ripped out some Bleachers first thing
    they did when they Saw me was tell me I should go over the site, Before they start building the New ones.
    and then they took a break so I had time.

us
    Mar 2015
    New Bedford, MA
    White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
    694 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I'd use (and I have in the past) a probe and forceps. My forceps have the rubber insert to keep them from damaging the target. If the ground is soft enough, you can wallow out a hole, find the target with your pin pointer, and remove it with the forceps. Not fast or easy, but doable.
    I tend to pinpoint the target with my carrot and do a "swirl" technique with the pinpointer to move enough dirt around, then go in with the finger. I typically just use my Tesoro in this park and go for high tones only. If the pinpointer is reading it on the surface, I've found the target is not too deep.

This is about as skirting the rules as I want to get, but my mind wants to tear that place up.
    Joe-Dirt likes this.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1447 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-Dirt View Post
    As sick as it sounds, just carry a bag of syringes with you and tell them you are doing their job keeping the public safe
    You can back this up with a high vis jacket and a label that says "Volunteer" ....

chub

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links