tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500, Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I live a block or two away from a local park, I found their website and asked about their policy on Metal Detecting.

Their response:

In response to the questions about metal detecting:

Metal detecting in of itself will not be a problem. However, digging into the ground to unearth an object is not allowed per the Park District Ordinances.

PARK DISTRICT ORDINANCES - SECTION 3.20 DESTRUCTION OF LANDSCAPE

“…No person shall pick, gather, uproot, remove or destroy any flower, plant or grass. No person shall remove or cause to be removed any sod, earth, humus, peat, boulders, gravel or sand.”

If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to contact me directly if that is helpful.

Derek Solberg

Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

Mundelein Park & Recreation District
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like I can go metal detecting but I just can't dig anything up.

Any way around this, anyone can think of?

Thanks,

Tim

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being 64, & detecting since I was 13ish.

I Have had Permission everywhere I've gone for the last 50 Years.

So when approached, & asked I bring up that I have always been allowed there in the Past.
"People have always Been Friendly Around here...:notworthy: Good People :laughing7: !!! "

Makes it a Little harder for Someone to Say "well I'm a Bee'otch !" or "Not Me ! "

Right on Jeff, well said...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is there not a closed discussion sticky at the top of the Sub for this topic?

Regarding your email. It wasn’t clear to me that they know who you are. If you used your name then as Jeff notes, you’ve been warned. If all they have is an email address, well then, the beg forgiveness rules still apply.

Sorry ! Why should the Discussion Be Closed ?
The OP Is not Attacking Responses . If someone attacks him or Others,
They can be Removed.

Thread is Fine to me, So far :coffee2:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Sorry ! Why should the Discussion Be Closed ?
The OP Is not Attacking Responses . If someone attacks him or Others,
They can be Removed.

Thread is Fine to me, So far :coffee2:

No, no I wrote that poorly. I was just suggesting there should be a sticky at the top (top of Metal Detecting subforum) that doesn’t have to have ongoing replies but collects the must know information that we see people miss again and again. Might help people avoid boxing themselves in by asking the wrong questions.

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
As sick as it sounds, just carry a bag of syringes with you and tell them you are doing their job keeping the public safe

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I see a groundskeeper or Park employee looking at me, I just smile and wave. They probably think I'm a friend of theirs, can't remember my name, and they're too embarrassed to come talk to me! :laughing7:

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The park near my house is extremely old. Has been in use as a public ground almost as long as New Bedford has had residents. It is where I eyeballed found my 1776 half reale, just sitting on the ground after a good rain. I REALLY want to metal detect this park but it has the same rules - you can detect, but you cannot dig a hole.

There are no signs posted regarding metal detecting at this park so when I first moved here, I just did my thing. A cop drove by and told me there was no digging. I apologized and went along my way and confirmed the rules on the city website.

Every now and again when my gal and I walk our dog in the park, I will bring a metal detector and if I get a hit, I just use my index finger to root around. COMPLETELY UNSAFE but if someone comes along and says no digging, I can at least say "I don't have a shovel on me".

This park haunts my metal detecting dreams. New Bedford was once the richest city per capita in the world.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The park near my house is extremely old. Has been in use as a public ground almost as long as New Bedford has had residents. It is where I eyeballed found my 1776 half reale, just sitting on the ground after a good rain. I REALLY want to metal detect this park but it has the same rules - you can detect, but you cannot dig a hole.

There are no signs posted regarding metal detecting at this park so when I first moved here, I just did my thing. A cop drove by and told me there was no digging. I apologized and went along my way and confirmed the rules on the city website.

Every now and again when my gal and I walk our dog in the park, I will bring a metal detector and if I get a hit, I just use my index finger to root around. COMPLETELY UNSAFE but if someone comes along and says no digging, I can at least say "I don't have a shovel on me".

This park haunts my metal detecting dreams. New Bedford was once the richest city per capita in the world.

I'd use (and I have in the past) a probe and forceps. My forceps have the rubber insert to keep them from damaging the target. If the ground is soft enough, you can wallow out a hole, find the target with your pin pointer, and remove it with the forceps. Not fast or easy, but doable.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I see a groundskeeper or Park employee looking at me, I just smile and wave. They probably think I'm a friend of theirs, can't remember my name, and they're too embarrassed to come talk to me! :laughing7:

Yes Most parks around Me, I'm friendly enough with the Grounds keepers.
That if there is going to be work done. as soon as they see me They Tell me about it.

One park, when they ripped out some Bleachers first thing
they did when they Saw me was tell me I should go over the site, Before they start building the New ones.
and then they took a break so I had time.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd use (and I have in the past) a probe and forceps. My forceps have the rubber insert to keep them from damaging the target. If the ground is soft enough, you can wallow out a hole, find the target with your pin pointer, and remove it with the forceps. Not fast or easy, but doable.

I tend to pinpoint the target with my carrot and do a "swirl" technique with the pinpointer to move enough dirt around, then go in with the finger. I typically just use my Tesoro in this park and go for high tones only. If the pinpointer is reading it on the surface, I've found the target is not too deep.

This is about as skirting the rules as I want to get, but my mind wants to tear that place up.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As sick as it sounds, just carry a bag of syringes with you and tell them you are doing their job keeping the public safe

You can back this up with a high vis jacket and a label that says "Volunteer" ....:laughing7:

chub

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could try hitting the wooded areas of the park, non mowed areas. 100 years ago some of these areas were picnic / grove sites. I have never had a problem digging in County or Local park woods. 99% of the time no one knows I’m there.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too felt the "need to heed" local officials. Rules are rules, after all. This compelled me to search private land, after seeking permission from the landowner. I quickly learned to use my own judgment when it comes to public land. Fear of lawsuits, coupled with a bizarre sense of "ownership" compels many officials to Just Say No to requests to search. For example, I received similar "search but don't dig" advice from a U.S. Fish and Wildlife "official." He said that he hadn't considered it before but, come to think of it, he wouldn't allow any detecting on his beach.

I would advise prudence and good judgment. When asked, many officials will say "no" in order to avoid hassle. Also, don't forget that it only takes one slob to set precedent. The real reason behind regulation is that too many people are trying to do the same thing . . . And doing so with no apparent concern for others.

That is why I am secretly rooting for Ebola.

Last edited:

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a rule of thumb, never flee from a person who carries a loaded sidearm - and is authorized by their job description to use it.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
So, carefully snip off the ends, then wrap them in a ziplock bag with a few pine needles and grass and when asked what you are doing simply act appalled that you had to actually pick them up...............then, ask if they want to see them or take them.

:icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 1D960C91-0120-4190-B0B3-02D3FE8D0999.jpeg
    1D960C91-0120-4190-B0B3-02D3FE8D0999.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Make it more realistic as some of those needles should have rust on them.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's one of the reasons I always waited for after a rainstorm to hunt parks, the ground is softer for one and hotter too I might add, easy to dig and no damage can be done, I've seen the results of careless digging and why a park was closed.. If you are interested in finding things of old, spend some time in your local library in the 900 section or visit a local historical society and chat with some old timers, they have long memories.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
“ The best way to deal with bureaucrats is with stealth and sudden violence. “

–- quote attributed to former UN secretary-general Boutros Boutros-Ghali

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, I'd detect the park just put the detector on low sensitivity/etc so you detect surface targets /recent drops only and easy to localize w pointer. Nothing wrong with that, particularly in high traffic areas where there would be regular drops. Targets in stone parking areas are on the surface anyways. Lots of advantages to surface (0 - 2") hunting, including not sweating your butt off or wasting valuable detecting time digging nails and foil pieces at 6 - 9". More sensitivity/deeper isn't always better and, besides, you'll cover a lot more surface area.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As I live a block or two away from a local park, I found their website and asked about their policy on Metal Detecting.

Their response:

In response to the questions about metal detecting:

Metal detecting in of itself will not be a problem. However, digging into the ground to unearth an object is not allowed per the Park District Ordinances.

PARK DISTRICT ORDINANCES - SECTION 3.20 DESTRUCTION OF LANDSCAPE

“…No person shall pick, gather, uproot, remove or destroy any flower, plant or grass. No person shall remove or cause to be removed any sod, earth, humus, peat, boulders, gravel or sand.”

If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to contact me directly if that is helpful.

Derek Solberg

Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

Mundelein Park & Recreation District
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like I can go metal detecting but I just can't dig anything up.

Any way around this, anyone can think of?

Thanks,

Tim

The way around it is to not lean into it.

No sign prohibiting detecting then detect. IF you can detect without looking like you are doing something wrong.

And of course you leave no evidence behind you.
That includes improper ,or improperly timed disturbance,plugs, moved monuments , cut wires,broken pipes....Shall I elaborate?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread