Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett ATpro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    1708 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Metal detected my local post office yesterday after hours place was built in 1930, scored a heal tap with heart in the center and a crap load of change......... no i did not ask for permission and did not have any problems
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Timothy Gilmore

Jun 2019
    Mundelein, IL
    Ace 350
    62 times
    Metal Detecting
    We have an "old" Village Hall that turned 90 this year and has been up for sale for 5 years since they built the "new" Village Hall down the street. Sounds like this might be something to look at "after hours" but no one is there now except for some surrounding businesses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	1734259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	1734260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	1734261
    Toecutter and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member
    us

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett ATpro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    1708 times
    Oh ya I'd be all over that like flies on sh*t lol "after hours" is the way to go....
    A2coins likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1172 times
    Never ask for permission on public land. Assume it's ok UNLESS their are specific signs to the contrary.
    A2coins likes this.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest PA
    Teknetics T2 Classic 15x12" Detech Sef Butterfly coil Makro/Nokta pinpointers
    112 times
    Metal Detecting
    I always ask for permission first.
    It's gained me access to off limits city property.
    Toecutter likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    1708 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
    I always ask for permission first.
    It's gained me access to off limits city property.
    I find this hard to believe, please explain further, what official gave you permission? what department? what type of property? are you a city employee?
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest PA
    Teknetics T2 Classic 15x12" Detech Sef Butterfly coil Makro/Nokta pinpointers
    112 times
    Metal Detecting
    No I'm not an employee.
    I contacted the mayor and the city manager at city hall and got permission on current and obsolete city utilitlity and other property.

us
    Aug 2019
    Upstate/Central NY, & central Florida
    Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030
    57 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Since you stated you "live just down the street", I would recommend you attending a City/Town council meeting, and ask them to reconsider this park rule. Most public parks host events throughout the year where vendors set up booths, drive and remove tent stakes, drive vehicles and trailers on the grass where they sit for a full weekend at a time, even bandstands being used, all of which appears to kill the grass. Not to mention the people trampling the areas around those areas. Then show them some photos of some spots where you have dug up a coin from a grass area, replacing the sod as we all should be doing. And ask them to explain the difference.
    Bet they can't! Unless your in there with a backhoe digging holes, nothing we do as detectorists causes permanent damage, or kills vegetation. Go full political on them!
    Freedom isn't free! Thank You to all who serve and protect both in the military and In Law Enforcement

OH how I LOVE this hobby!

Aug 2019
    4 times
    If hunting a public park for Heavens sake, leave the long handled shovels at home. I know with experience they can be used to cut nice plugs that fit back in the hole and leave it unnoticeable.
    It's the public perception as seen by someone at a distance that gets one reported.
    Take it for what it’s worth!

GW
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    593 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You are not uprooting or destroying anything if done properly. Have at it.
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2661 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Metal detected my local post office yesterday after hours place was built in 1930, scored a heal tap with heart in the center and a crap load of change......... no i did not ask for permission and did not have any problems
    Smart move.......
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
    346 times
    Since I'm 67 yrs old, white hair and beard I can get away with a lot of stuff. there is a historic home not far from me and I started hunting it last year. The first time I hunted this young buck came by and told me I couldn't hunt on the property. I asked him who he was and he said Josh the caretaker.

I went back about a month later and Josh came out after about 2 hrs and 4 silver dimes later and I said "Hi Joe, how have you been?" He looked at me funny and said "you can't dig here, I told you before". I gave him a puzzled look and said I don't remember that John....

The last time I went back he came out and asked "How you doing?" I looked up and said fine Bob and how are you today?. He shook his head and said "Don't leave any holes please".....
    Looking for a hunting buddy in or around Deltona Fl.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    10201 times
    My brother, sister, and I went to a creek last summer. Area covered with trash. I got out my machine and in seconds a guy appears out of nowhere and said we couldn't dig. Could detect but not dig. Apparently he was never around when people were leaving the trash. Nor was he around when a body was left on the opposite bank not long ago. The place is rumored to be dangerous around dark on weekends. Drug dealers and parties.
    Just riles me that you can't do something harmless in some areas.Have detected on lake shores and not been bothered at all. This reminds me, I need to check the regs about the national forest outside town. I expect digging a hole is forbidden.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

us
    Jun 2019
    Maine, formerly NJ
    Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
    17 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have permission in places CLOSED to others. Here's how I did it: walk in to see the head honcho. Tell secretary that you found something the main guy/gal ought to see. When you get in....open your SMALL paper bag and display a bunch of sharp metal fragments and glass. Explain this is what I found at xyz playground across town. Explain that you got this detecting and that the kids are safer now because of it. Ask if they would be interested in your retrieving it all, NO CHARGE. And offer to show the plug and play method. Even let their main guy try it...you might get pleasantly surprised.
    Honor my wife so God hears my prayers.
    Cast the crowns at the feet of my King.
    Teknetics Patriot.
    All them coins!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, 720i Stealth Scoop
    7074 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
    Since I'm 67 yrs old, white hair and beard I can get away with a lot of stuff. there is a historic home not far from me and I started hunting it last year. The first time I hunted this young buck came by and told me I couldn't hunt on the property. I asked him who he was and he said Josh the caretaker.

I went back about a month later and Josh came out after about 2 hrs and 4 silver dimes later and I said "Hi Joe, how have you been?" He looked at me funny and said "you can't dig here, I told you before". I gave him a puzzled look and said I don't remember that John....

The last time I went back he came out and asked "How you doing?" I looked up and said fine Bob and how are you today?. He shook his head and said "Don't leave any holes please".....
    That is so funny!

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links