tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500, Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I live a block or two away from a local park, I found their website and asked about their policy on Metal Detecting.

Their response:

In response to the questions about metal detecting:

Metal detecting in of itself will not be a problem. However, digging into the ground to unearth an object is not allowed per the Park District Ordinances.

PARK DISTRICT ORDINANCES - SECTION 3.20 DESTRUCTION OF LANDSCAPE

“…No person shall pick, gather, uproot, remove or destroy any flower, plant or grass. No person shall remove or cause to be removed any sod, earth, humus, peat, boulders, gravel or sand.”

If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to contact me directly if that is helpful.

Derek Solberg

Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

Mundelein Park & Recreation District
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like I can go metal detecting but I just can't dig anything up.

Any way around this, anyone can think of?

Thanks,

Tim

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry To hear You did that :(

This is the reason Don't Ask/Don't Tell should be used when
Intending to Recreate in Local Recreation Areas imo.

the Rule: “…No person shall pick, gather, uproot, remove or destroy any flower, plant or grass. No person shall remove or cause to be removed any sod, earth, humus, peat, boulders, gravel or sand.”

I see nothing saying "Man Made Object" which is what you would be looking to Remove.

& I Do believe You can avoid Destruction by Being Careful.
& Replacing any sod, earth, humus, peat, boulders, gravel or sand.

However now you have the Issue of Being Officially Warned :(

You could Try Practicing retrieval with a Screwdriver

index.png or Operating with a Knife .
Slice, Spread, Retrieve, Re-Close.

a Trick I've Done in Soft Earth, Using my Finder.
Reach down, as If your Picking something UP & Push your finger into the Sod
and Retrieve.
This works with No Lookie Loos Standing next to you on Occasion :laughing7:

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
This is quite normal for nearly every park land I've ever looked into, with a few exceptions that are legal with a permit and guidelines.

It makes sense really, that they would have a rule saying "dont tear up the park"

Just don't let Tom in Ca find out you asked a question and learned the rules ......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because there are Fresh losses Every Day, You could still Detect for Fresh Drops.
I Wouldn't carry a Digging Device there now, Unless you get the Go ahead from A grounds Keeper.

Use Some ingenuity if Approached by a Curious Friendly Groundskeeper.
Say something Like, "I Get allot of Signals under the Ground, But don't know if I'm allowed to Check them Out :unhappysmiley:"

Perhaps He'll Give you the Go ahead

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or if confronted, point behind you and say" I've already popped a dozen coins, do you see any damage?"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or if confronted, point behind you and say" I've already popped a dozen coins, do you see any damage?"

Yes But be Prepared With Dirty Coins to prove it.

A few Clean Dangerous Items & Trash Bits on Ya can't hurt either.
Sharp pieces of Glass, Metal, Crumpled up Candy Wrappers. Crushed Can,
a Needle if you can acquire One. & Make it look Stepped on. Maybe a Live Bullet.
Things that look like your a "Value" to the Park, Not a Problem :coffee2:

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Now they have an eye out for you and any other metal detectorists. Don’t kick the hornet’s nest cause it will stir up trouble.
Can I fly my drone or RC plane in the park? No! Now that you asked.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep ! If you ask about Skate Boards, The answer will most likely Be no,
Unless they have a Designated Skate Board Area of Course.

Running around , playing Tag, May be an Issue if you Ask.
Too dangerous to you & Others.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This day and age most parks commissions, authorities, departments, etc have websites. Just search their site for the rules. On that thought town have websites and most have links to their ordinances, so you can review them also, many are searchable.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
once you ask, you've opened a can of worms...….

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe sneak in at night and use a small red light to see with while detecting. I doubt the parks guy will be there that late. If the cops ask what you're doing, be honest and tell them you're metal detecting and didn't want bothered or distracted by others. If he's aware of the ordinance then he'll probably just tell you to leave after you've pled stupid. Added, do be neat about your holes and fill them back in. This way the cop can tell you aren't out to destroy the landscape.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
public property words to live by " easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission ", no body likes to be liable especially city officials

Like Jeff stated you have bin officially warned, might have never herd a peep from anyone and the rule may have never bin enforced but now they might be watching....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I live a block or two away from a local park, I found their website and asked about their policy on Metal Detecting.

Their response:

In response to the questions about metal detecting:

Metal detecting in of itself will not be a problem. However, digging into the ground to unearth an object is not allowed per the Park District Ordinances.

PARK DISTRICT ORDINANCES - SECTION 3.20 DESTRUCTION OF LANDSCAPE

“…No person shall pick, gather, uproot, remove or destroy any flower, plant or grass. No person shall remove or cause to be removed any sod, earth, humus, peat, boulders, gravel or sand.”

If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to contact me directly if that is helpful.

Derek Solberg

Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

Mundelein Park & Recreation District
----------------------------------------- -----------------------------

It sounds like I can go metal detecting but I just can't dig anything up.

Any way around this, anyone can think of?

Thanks,

Tim

Unfortunately, you've found out a bit late why you don't ask government employees anything. Look the rules up yourself. Hopefully others will see this post and decide not to, or, at least ask here first. Even still, in reading the ordinance, I still don't see a problem with making a recovery. If you use proper recovery method(s), (i.e. trap door plug) you're not removing any of their prohibited items, correct? You may be shuffling them around a bit, but, you're not taking them. The posted rules were in place long before detectors were in use and were meant to prohibit people from taking the landscaping for their own use, and not specifically for us. They've since been applied to us in some instances however. The semantics might be lost on them in an argument, and it probably wouldn't change their mind, but, I doubt you would get cited for it if you're not making a mess or leaving open holes. I agree that you should do it after hours when the officials have all gone home. A cop isn't going to bother you unless they get a complaint. Even then, you'll just get a scram.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks, Read more posts here and you'll see this is a common topic amongst us. I've never asked and never been told anything other than " I hope you find something awesome" by park officials. I showed them the trash and they seemed pleased.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and in the unfortunate Case where you get chased by someone
who your sure has the Authority or Not. Be Courteous Try to engage them in Friendly
Conversation. leave if you need to, and decide later if this was possibly a one-off
that can be ignored in the future

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being 64, & detecting since I was 13ish.

I Have had Permission everywhere I've gone for the last 50 Years.

So when approached, & asked I bring up that I have always been allowed there in the Past.
"People have always Been Friendly Around here...:notworthy: Good People :laughing7: !!! "

Makes it a Little harder for Someone to Say "well I'm a Bee'otch !" or "Not Me ! "

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
At age 13, in 1968, you had permission to metal detect in local parks???

I would have just gone and been my normal self never leaving a mess. i have never been kicked out of a park or school for metal detecting. I have never asked permission to metal detect in a park or school. I just go. I started this hobby in 1984 at age 20.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At age 13, in 1968, you had permission to metal detect in local parks???

I would have just gone and been my normal self never leaving a mess. i have never been kicked out of a park or school for metal detecting. I have never asked permission to metal detect in a park or school. I just go. I started this hobby in 1984 at age 20.

at that age I swung a Detector at Gettysburg . No I Did Not Dig.
Was My Grandmothers Detector, My Parents took me Down to Detect
But Something told me I Couldn't. I asked at the Souvenir Place , Got a confused look :dontknow:.
Only pulled it out the Car once, Walked a Path to a Stone Wall & Back
in maybe 5 Minutes, & Ignored the few signals. People All over.

I Don't know when they Added Metal Detectors To the Official Banned List.

most of my hunting back then was my place and relatives.

at 16, Had a Car, I Helped Myself. Church Yards, School Yards , Parks Etc.
No one Bothered me.

At about 25 I Started Asking Permission, Got no's from preachers .

Please Note, Ages are Guesses :tongue3: Too Far back to Remembeer
I Didn't ask at parks I already Hunted in the Past, But I've been approached by Grounds Keepers,
At all & Friendly Discussion = Permission.
even from those Deceased Now.

So
I have always been allowed there in the Past.
"People have always Been Friendly Around here...:notworthy: Good People :laughing7: !!! "

At New Spots, If there is a Grounds Keeper There & I'm nervous for Some Reason.

My Question is

"Is Detecting Still allowed ?"

IF I'm feeling particularly Confident, I Just get out Suit Up, Nod & smile towards the Grounds Keeper & Go at it.

I Like when I see the word for "Recreation" on a Park Sign.
Because That's what I'm there for !

Last edited:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like my granpa used to say (as we were digging a 6 ft deep rectangular hole) shudappa youa face and digga

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
How is there not a closed discussion sticky at the top of the Sub for this topic?

Regarding your email. It wasn’t clear to me that they know who you are. If you used your name then as Jeff notes, you’ve been warned. If all they have is an email address, well then, the beg forgiveness rules still apply.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions