Pictures of a sunken steamboat I found a token for.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all started at a old 1800’s church I detected in Lewisburg La which is now called Madisonville La down the street from Lake Ponchatrain which separates some and New Orleans (the Ponchatrain Causeway bridge is 26 miles across and if the longest over water bridge in the world). I found this 25 Cent steamboat token and did some research. I found out it was only with us from 1910-1915 until it sank. It would bring people from New Orleans and back across Lake Ponchatrain. I couldn’t find anything else about it except a guy from New Orleans collected info and pictures of all the New Orleans Steamboats until his death in 1958 and his family donated his collection to the New Orleans library which is where I found out it sank and unfortunately the F.M. Owens had no picture attached. IMG_2782.jpg
So a year ago I checked EBay just encase there was anything there,which there wasn’t, so I saved it and life went on. Well last week a notification popped up and someone had actual negatives for the F.M. Owens. The seller said he thinks it’s the only ones to exist. I got 3 negatives for $20 spent another $45 having them developed on a cd the into pictures and now I have them together. But I might be holding the only pictures and token known. How exciting!!

I love this hobby. Thanks for reading IMG_0552.jpg IMG_0553.jpg IMG_2783.jpg IMG_2784.jpg IMG_2785.jpg
Negatives
IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg
Causeway Bridge IMG_2519.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is the coolest story I've read for a long time. This is why I like finding tokens more than silver coins, they just have so much more history behind them. That's going to be a great display. I wish I could find a photo of the saloon I found a token for that is not too common.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is the coolest story I've read for a long time. This is why I like finding tokens more than silver coins, they just have so much more history behind them. That's going to be a great display. I wish I could find a photo of the saloon I found a token for that is not too common.

Same here Nick. I have a 2 very rare tokens for a 1809’s saloon in the French Quarter of New Orleans. What’s funny is I found one at a old Jesuit priest’s homestead and another at the oldest 1800’s church in my town lol. Those Catholics loved to party!! Lol
I’m going to now start trying to find pictures of that saloon. Good luck on your token never give up.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here that is really cool. I like New Orleans history

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really like this! Token is in great shape and the photo's bring it to life. The side shot of the boat shows how little freeboard it had when loaded, wouldn't take much wave action to wash over the decks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread