Brand new to the Hobby-confused on the legality?

MDsweep

Jun 25, 2019
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Grand Rapids, MI and am waiting on my first metal detector to arrive, needed a new hobby and have always thought it would be fun. I see there is, apparently, a lot of confusion on whether it is legal? If so in what areas, and if permits are needed. Any current, relevant, and/or accurate information would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are on private property you absolutely need permission from the landowners. You'll have to research whether or not public parks, county, state, town, etc. are legal or not by either finding a local club and finding out that way, or asking them.

In my county it is ok to dig on school properties after school events are over. County property is not ok. The next county to the east, no public places allowed but to the west, it is ok with a free permit.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rules can be different from town to town , county to county, or even state to state. State parks are usually off limits, as are national parks and places of historic interest. Public places like schools, parks, sports fields picnic areas, etc. are "usually" safe to hunt. If you're hunting public land hunt until told otherwise. In regard to your question....metal detecting is legal but with some restrictions.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As previously stated, private property always requires permission from the owner.
School property is private property, not public, so it's best if you get permission, but it's usually not a problem so long as you aren't there while kids are present or during and school functions.

All National Parks are forbidden, and most State Parks are off limits.
National Forests all have their own rules.
Corps of Engineers property is usually ok unless otherwise posted.

When it comes to actual public property owned by a city or county it's almost but not always legal.

The trick is to NEVER ask if it's "legal" because someone who doesn't know will always tell you it's not. If you do decide to ask you contact the city or county legal dept and ask if "there are any laws or ordinances that prohibit metal detecting". If there are none, it IS LEGAL, because no law ever makes something legal. So if there is no law, there can be no crime.

Good luck!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out sign board of park rules if you are hitting G.R. and area parks. If detecting is not prohibited ,hit one in off heavy traffic hours.
Be sure you leave no sign of your recoveries. Even if you need to practice elsewhere a while.
Cutting a flap for extreme recoveries helps keep mowers from sucking up a plug. Or a squirrel or skunk to dig it up and leave it to dry out.

When it gets real dry out , you might be better to leave lawns in parks/yards alone.

Private property you need owner permission.

So , check out parks being redone . There are planning the works for improvements near you. Maybe some are already underway.
That is an opportunity to work fresh moved/exposed dirt.
A park North of you added sidewalks and when removing the top layer to add cement , gave me access to deeper stuff missed before...

Some one pays taxes on a vacant property you might have questions about. That can be the key to research in locating them...

Pay attention to your surroundings when detecting.
Don't get jumped , or surprised.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll just let Tom speak my mind for me in a more elaborative method when he comes along. We have a thread over this same topic about once a week.

In short: JUST GO DETECTING. Let common sense be your guide, aka, don't jump the White House fence to detect. Stop feeling the need to be a subservient peon to paper pushers in a city office. You pay taxes, enjoy YOUR public spaces. I repeat: JUST GO DETECTING.

Last edited:

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And start in your own yard, you'd be surprised at what you'll find and its good practice!! Happy hunting!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's so great for the hobby at this time, concerning your question is the internet. Most parks, park commissions and departments have websites you can search for their rules, as well as state parks. Towns and cities almost all have websites that have links to their ordinances, which can be searched for key words. Like they used to say in the olden days, "let your fingers do the walking".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Grand Rapids, MI and am waiting on my first metal detector to arrive, needed a new hobby and have always thought it would be fun. I see there is, apparently, a lot of confusion on whether it is legal? If so in what areas, and if permits are needed. Any current, relevant, and/or accurate information would be greatly appreciated.

Private property (you can determine this by checking tax records at the courthouse if in doubt), you need to get permission. Verbal permission has almost always been good enough for me, but, I do keep a written permission form in my truck when needed. I only mention it to the owner if they ask for one, or if the owner is going to leave while you're there hunting. I never ask permission on public property. Instead, if I think it may be a sensitive area, I'll look up the rules myself. It's not a secret. If it's public, there will be posted rules somewhere, either online or in person where public records are kept. Asking someone who may or may not know the law, is just asking for a no. They have no personal or professional benefit to saying yes, as it might risk their job, or at least a reprimand by their boss by doing so. If there are no specific rules that actually mention metal detecting by name, I see it as not being banned or restricted. As mention, use proper recovery methods so places aren't put off-limits in the future.

dougolf2

Apr 27, 2019
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
releventchair - I'm fairly new to the hobby as well. Thanks for the fresh insight regarding plugs. I never thought about them being sucked up by a lawnmower. I suppose I should start using the flap method more often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread