Average Time Per Hunt: What's Yours Typically?

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at this and I noticed that the last couple of times (which really are my first times going) I intend to spend only about 2 hours per hunt, but notice that it takes up quite a bit of time walking a site, trying to remember the ground I've already been over, measuring detections and deciding if I should dig or not and then filling in the holes after I've picked up the junk I've found.

When I look at the clock, I'm like "Holy Cow, I haven't really scratched the surface!" But I have to skeedaddle because I have something else going on.
I will probably try to go out earlier and lengthen the time I spend to 4-5 hours at a crack to really give a good go of it.

Please vote in the poll and add your own comments if I miss something that you'd like to comment on.
Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On average 1.5 to 2 hrs, unless I get lucky and have a whole day! That’s not very often.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to make a day of it but I need to take a break or call it quits after two hours. If I don't take a break after two hours I lose my competitive edge.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It depends where I'm at, and who's with me. If my mom and dad are home, short bursts of about thirty minutes. If the cats are away, this mouse plays all day long!

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly 6 hours or more, because I usually need 1 hour with my bike to visit the detecting places and otherwise it would be not worthwhile. I always take some food with me and take breaks every 2 hours to regenerate my concentration.

Last edited:

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually go for 2-4 hours if I'm detecting on my own, however if I'm detecting with friends, I usually detect for longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread