Average Time Per Hunt: What's Yours Typically?

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at this and I noticed that the last couple of times (which really are my first times going) I intend to spend only about 2 hours per hunt, but notice that it takes up quite a bit of time walking a site, trying to remember the ground I've already been over, measuring detections and deciding if I should dig or not and then filling in the holes after I've picked up the junk I've found.

When I look at the clock, I'm like "Holy Cow, I haven't really scratched the surface!" But I have to skeedaddle because I have something else going on.
I will probably try to go out earlier and lengthen the time I spend to 4-5 hours at a crack to really give a good go of it.

Please vote in the poll and add your own comments if I miss something that you'd like to comment on.
Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additionally, this question has been asked a few times before that I'm aware of (did a quick search) but the question wasn't asked in terms of a POLL.
I'm sort of analytic and like to see stats so I figured it might be fun to see the answers like this.
Here are the other times I've seen the question asked:
2018 http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...ge-time-detecting-how-long-do-you-detect.html
2014 http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/396617-how-long-your-average-mding-hunts.html
2009 http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...3-how-often-how-long-do-you-metal-detect.html

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be able to hunt all dang day, 35 years ago. And I did. These days though, my knees & back will only let me go for a few hours...3 hours is about right, unless I'm on a killer spot that is producing a lot of finds. Then I will dig till I drop!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends, when I drive east or south to hunt with friends it's from sun up until miller time. If I have a local permission that is only for the day I hunt till I get a grid done. For a normal weekend when I am out hunting public sites I average about 4 hours which could consist of numerous sites and travel time. When I started back in 2014 I started when the sun came up, came home for supper with the wife, and then back out until the sun began to set.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After more than 5 hours my wife starts beeping continuously, a permanent find, i guess.

OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never fails... I go out to do something fun or even THINK about it and the wife is texting/calling me.

She needs more lady friends to pass the time with.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
depends how hot it is i usually hunt about 3 hours

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Simplex
Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 2-4 hours when I get time to get out.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours on any beach. After that it’s like I’m pounding sand in the desert.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nowadays at age 73, 3 hours is about it unless the temps are down in the 50's which means I can go 4 hours but that's the limit. I started this hobby when I was only 37 and could go all day no matter what. If the temps are over 85 I don't go at all.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have checked off all day but don't like the way you worded it.
I go all day (8 to 12 hours) because I like LOTS of cool items and can't stop swinging, as I'm a major detecting addict.
Sometimes you find a great find right off the bat but I'll still go all day regardless.
I actually train in the winter so that I can keep my endurance level up for the relic hunting season!
Can't do my usual bush-crashing right now due to the heat.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
3 to 4 hours, if I find gold before I just may leave. It will be waiting next trip there, I hope.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the guy that will take whatever time he can get. I can think of a million reasons to extend the length of the hunt! Even if I have all day it's never enough time!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way a cell phone interferes with a detector (wink), my phone only goes as far as my vehicle. That way I never get disturbed while out in the field. :icon_thumleft:

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby requires lots of bending, kneeling, climbing hills, and just plain walking. For an older person, it is good exercise. I use to detect for 6 hours plus, but age and physical problems now limit my time to three hours max. It is weird how my time starts and finishes. I feel extremely energetic and flexible for about 2 and 1/2 hours and without warning, I hit my limit. I am done for the day. I use to be a gradual running out of gas, but now is like someone turned a switch on me and I am done. Sort of like a lithium rechargeable battery.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 to 4 hours all depends on my finds

7mmstw

Greenie
Jul 8, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MX5 Treasurepro v3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 hours. And I always carry golf ball tee’s in my pocket to mark my start the next day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread