Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Not sure if I can continue metal detecting - health, restrictions, etc. - Saddened

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14618 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    get into water hunting - weight dont matter - get long handled scoop - no bending
    plus the rewards can be greater than most on land
    few days water hunting on a Fla. trip

I got all kinds of health issues myself - right now dealing with 5 herniated discs which makes it hard to land hunt
    youre more buoyant in the water so it relieves some of pressure on my back

one years worth of gold - all from water
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    2195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingvegan View Post
    ok even though my name here is kingvegan I don't talk to people about being a vegan because of the joke, " how do you know if someone is a vegan......dont worry they will tell you". Please check out Dr. Michael Gregor, he is not some MD with a diet book, the guy is an undisputed expert, Oprah's legal defense hired him when she was being sued by cattle growers even though he was still in Med school. (He was accepted to 17 med schools, the guy is a genius). His book is called 'How Not to Die' all the money from his book sales and speaking engagements go to fund his site Nutritionfacts.org which is free and was originally set up with a gift from some wealthy philanthropist. That site is a big deal, his paid staff and qualified volunteers read every published scientific paper published in the English language in the world, about 10,000 studies a year. his channel is on the youtube too. Please check it out, the man can change your life like you would not believe possible. At least watch his intro video where he talks about why he pursued medicine, it will blow you away. good luck
    Just had to chime in: I'm a vegan too and I love it... 19 years in. I live in Boston. Dr. G used to live here in the early two thousands and I was friendly with him. He's definitely a genius and has probably altered the lives of countless people with his work. Tim I don't know if dietary stuff pertains to your health but think about this: Everything you put in your body is a choice with consequences good and bad depending on what it is. I started detecting because I broke my femur and needed something to do. It was awful getting around in the beginning and I even used a crutch but I eventually got through it. Don't let anybody discourage you. Mindset is another issue. Stay positive and tell yourself that you can and will detect! Wishing you the best!

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    222 times
    Prospecting
    The Guy hasn't responded. Anyone notice?

us
    Dec 2017
    pennsylvania
    garret ace 200
    110 times
    my knees were giving me problems also, only thing I did was start walking a lot more, take it easy at first then build up to longer walks...did wonders for the knees and also helped me to lose weight. Don't give up

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Mojave 720i Stealth Scoop
    6957 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Good luck Tim..
    Hawks88 and Real of Tayopa like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    222 times
    Prospecting
    So, this poster says he has health issues and is sad and heavy. Several people post that he should watch what he eats, instead of giving advice for detecting and the encouragement he asked for before he sells all his detecting gear.
    He has health issues that most likely pertain to his weight and the detecting was his way of having fun, his wife didn't get it. Then he comes here for encouragement. The first post after his is about food. Then many others say the same. He's probably sold his stuff and never going to respond. I wouldn't.

us
    Garik Fox

May 2019
    Queen Creek, AZ
    EQUINOX 800, GM1000
    11 times
    Metal Detecting
    Don't give up please. Stay positive.
    Last edited by garikfox; Jul 04, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

us
    Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Timothy, you may be feeling overwhelmed by all of this "advice." I sure hope you haven't been scared off. A common sentiment seems to be supportive, understanding, and encouraging. Have you reached any conclusions at this point?
    Hawks88, ROIGuy, RustyGold and 1 others like this.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

- a casual remark made by a man I met while bushwhacking in rural Oregon.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    9631 times
    Good luck Tim. This is a great site to be part of. Hope you can find a way to continue detecting. I find beach detecting to be helpful for bad knees. Just find a beach and get there real early in the morning before the crowd. Hang out on the shore line or in shallow water for an hour or so then leave. Nobody around, not as hot near the water and no bugs or people. Please just try it. Take care.

us
    Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    Bogeyman, after re-reading you post I remembered taking my grandson (age 14) to a "tot lot" for his first experience. He promptly found a clad quarter - but thus far has shown no further interest in metal detecting. To your point, the site allowed for easy going and aided in providing an introduction to the hobby.. My grandson may never swing a detector again, or he may recall the event and take it up in his sixties, as I did. What was more important to both of us was shared time afield on a nice summer day!
    Last edited by Trapper John; Jul 04, 2019 at 12:55 PM.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    So, this poster says he has health issues and is sad and heavy. Several people post that he should watch what he eats, instead of giving advice for detecting and the encouragement he asked for before he sells all his detecting gear.
    He has health issues that most likely pertain to his weight and the detecting was his way of having fun, his wife didn't get it. Then he comes here for encouragement. The first post after his is about food. Then many others say the same. He's probably sold his stuff and never going to respond. I wouldn't.
    My post was the first after the OP. I have re-read it and stand by it. Unlike your post, mine was made in kindness. It was not all "about food". And the OP had already made a decision to sell his gear. But hey, if you get your kicks blaming me as the only reason why a new OP does not return - when new posters commonly do not return, go ahead and bring it on with your simplistic blame games and i won't see it anyway (you are now on my ignore list).
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jul 04, 2019 at 02:39 PM.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    222 times
    Prospecting
    Wow, not very nice. Not blaming you. Just saying what is. He said he has health issues. And, he hasn't responded. Yes simple, if you have a good thing to say thats great. This guy is asking for advice for detecting etc, oh we'll texting doesn't always convey the exact message. No need to get in my face.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

us
    Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    OUCH. I sent Timothy a PM. Let's give him a chance to reply. If I don't hear from him within the next day I'll ask the Moderator for advice.

In the mean time, let's all be aware of the fact that there really are Trolls out there! They delight in lobbing a verbal grenade into an active forum and then sitting back while good folks eventually self-destruct by dropping out. We have to put up with this in other aspects of life. Some of us actually try to learn from and share with other ground pounders.

I'd include all of you in that category.
    Last edited by Trapper John; Jul 05, 2019 at 03:50 AM.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

us
    Timothy Gilmore

Jun 2019
    Mundelein, IL
    Ace 350
    28 times
    Metal Detecting

I'm here!

I'm still here guys! I have been reading your wonderful posts of encouragement. Thank you all. I think my main issue is I just can't get off the ground once down easily. Hard to lift up 350 lbs but I will figure something out. I plan on going to Ohio next month with my family for a long 4 day weekend visit (8 hr drive) where my father in law has built a house on what they call "the farm" which is an old piece of property in Elyria I believe. I hope to bring my detector (vice having an argument with my wife), 36" root saw shovel, pro-pointer, etc. Lots of wooded and open area, barn, garden, campground like settings to detect that I know wont be a problem. Hopefully I wont just find nails or junk. Set the Ace 350 to coins and I should be fine. I'm looking forward to it - but since I can dig, it wont be a problem as much getting up/down I hope. I'll keep the group posted of my finds (Aug 9-12). Thanks again! (Tim)

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Go get a folding heavy duty aluminum camp stool. Sit on it and dig. You NEVER need to go on the ground again. That's what I do.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	1729613 You will probably pass a sporting goods store on your trip, or find one locally. Since I drag mine around, I wear one out every year, but they are not expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links