Not sure if I can continue metal detecting - health, restrictions, etc. - Saddened

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500, Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been practicing in my back yard for a few minutes to a 1/2 hour on the weekend - Garrett Ace 350 / Pro-Pointer. I really enjoy it (except for the bugs-lol). I'm in my mid 50's and about 350lbs and getting up/down to dig my findings has been very hard if not almost impossible at times. I get grief from my wife about me doing this hobby at all - not supportive, and with restrictions in digging and not knowing where to go, I've gotten a bit down on this to the point where I have my detector and pro-pointer for sale on a local neighborhood app. Have others experienced this like I have? Any words of encouragement? I suppose the biggest issue is not being able to easily get back up off the ground (painful a bit on my knees if down too long also). I tried making a pvc pipe extension for my pro-pointer which helps but ultimately I need to get down to dig. I also have a short 36" shovel for metal detecting and digging roots (saw blade on sides) I found on Amazon. But I'm afraid to take it with me for fear of others seeing me digging up the park or wherever. For now in my yard, I have been trying to keep it simple with just my detector, pro-pointer and a screw driver for coin popping - but finding only pennies, dimes and many beer caps.

Thanks for your help. (Tim)

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could use a belt pouch - but weight in one just helps pull my pants down. I use a carpenter's nail apron that goes around the neck and ties around the midsection. Not ideal, but it puts the weight on the neck rather than the belt. We must make a sight out there!

I use a Draw String Sack

DSCF0001(1).JPG

Came with a set of Headphones.

Then I Hooked a Clip to the String. Which I hook to one of my Belt Loops.

DSCF0002(1).JPG
By my Rear Right side Pocket

I also Broke Down & Started Wearing Suspenders after Buying My Umpteenth Belt,
& Breaking it within Seconds of Putting it On & Trying to Pull it Tight enough to Work. :laughing7:

Now I Don't need to buy 6 Belts a Year & My Pants Stay up :coffee2:

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suspenders are a great idea! Have you ever seen some with metal detectors on them? I'll also be looking for some with images of fossil shark teeth on them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suspenders are a great idea! Have you ever seen some with metal detectors on them? I'll also be looking for some with images of fossil shark teeth on them.

LOL no I've Have a Pair of "Real Tree" Suspenders https://www.suspenderstore.com/real...MIyIX54fGf4wIVF7jACh2_UgVxEAQYASABEgJoh_D_BwE from Walmart

I saw a Pair with Nuts & Bolts online https://www.absoluteties.com/nuts-b...MI783Wq_Gf4wIVTr7ACh2UdQBSEAQYASABEgKC-vD_BwE

but I don't think anyone else has thought about Detectors or Teeth.
Never know though, I Never thought of Nuts & Bolts :tongue3:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the take a kid detecting idea and have them enjoy digging the targets.

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there bro

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL no I've Have a Pair of "Real Tree" Suspenders https://www.suspenderstore.com/real...MIyIX54fGf4wIVF7jACh2_UgVxEAQYASABEgJoh_D_BwE from Walmart

I saw a Pair with Nuts & Bolts online https://www.absoluteties.com/nuts-b...MI783Wq_Gf4wIVTr7ACh2UdQBSEAQYASABEgKC-vD_BwE

but I don't think anyone else has thought about Detectors or Teeth.
Never know though, I Never thought of Nuts & Bolts :tongue3:

Thanks again Jeff!

Do the metal clips set off security metal detectors? Occasionally I go through actual security at gov't buildings and have to remove my belt. But I've seen no instructions to remove suspenders. (if I was dangerous, I could pinch somebody with those suspender clips..."Watch out - I have suspenders and I'm not afraid to use them")

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Jeff!

Do the metal clips set off security metal detectors? Occasionally I go through actual security at gov't buildings and have to remove my belt. But I've seen no instructions to remove suspenders. (if I was dangerous, I could pinch somebody with those suspender clips..."Watch out - I have suspenders and I'm not afraid to use them")

I don't know I Only started Wearing them Recently, But I Have almost always Set off those Detectors.
they just use their handheld Garrett Wand & Pass me through.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG Megaladon - Western Civilization as we know it is doomed!

When you think about all the stuff we carry in and pack out in & on our pants, I'm surprised metal detecting butt has not replaced plumber's butt in popular lexicon.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Tim. I'm in a similar boat as you are. Over 300lbs and arthritic. I have a herniated disc as well so I know the pain too. I don't get out much to detect, but my detect sessions are short. It will come to an end for me sometime down the road due to other medical reasons, but no matter what I still try to do some detecting at some time. Activity is vital for everybody no matter ones age or health. Not easy in many cases for sure. I do use knee pads and would love a chair, but as you pointed out, there's allot to carry as it is. Using a long digging tool to prop me up is something I haven't tried as I haven't carried a big long digger on a hunt in quite awhile. It's a minimizing of things needed to be carried thing. Mine is straight handled though and I suspect a D handle would suit better or like the one that was already pointed out with a question mark shape to it. I also know of some garden type stools that you can kneel onto and are versatile. I just haven't tried anything like them as of yet and again, it's more to carry. You aren't the only one that has the problems you face. I also know other detectorists won't go with you because they think you'd hinder them somehow. Maybe, but most just don't want to share finds with anyone else so you get to do this solo. I too am going to keep a heads up on this thread to see if any NEW ideas come forth that may help.

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t give up and don’t sell if you haven’t already. Use the hobby as Motivation. Find a local club. If you where in my area I would go and dig it up for you. Good luck! As for your digger issues. Open carry a big gun Holstered to you your belt. They most likely will not say anything about your shovel. :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
T

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scooter - Bank Coins - Ohio farm dig metal detecting news.

I can't wait for the Ohio hunt at my father in law's farm. On a related note: I bought an EMS-48 scooter that is fast - can go up to 25 or 30 MPH on a 45 mile electric charge. I'm getting my Outback fitted tomorrow with a towing hitch and will pick up a carrier for the scooter. I have also ordered a small crate size trailer (2 wheels) that hitches behind it to carry my metal detecting stuff. Its really for my wife to get her out of the house (doesn't drive) but I'm going to use it also when I can. I'm not sure if I will need to take it to Ohio from Illinois but it's doable.

Other exciting and surprising news. My recently married 30 yr old son from KY (grew up in CA) texted me as he is getting into metal detecting and has an Equinox 800 ordered. I told him about this site being the best there is in treasure finding. Currently he just started buying 1/2 dollars in large quantities from his bank ($5K-$10K) and has found a few 90% silvers but mainly 40% and clad(?). I'm sure he'll be a new member if not already soon. Too bad he didn't live so far away in KY as I'm from IL.

I'll post pictures of my detecting in Ohio in a month from now when I go.

Tim

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great positive attitude Righteous!

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been practicing in my back yard for a few minutes to a 1/2 hour on the weekend - Garrett Ace 350 / Pro-Pointer. I really enjoy it (except for the bugs-lol). I'm in my mid 50's and about 350lbs and getting up/down to dig my findings has been very hard if not almost impossible at times. I get grief from my wife about me doing this hobby at all - not supportive, and with restrictions in digging and not knowing where to go, I've gotten a bit down on this to the point where I have my detector and pro-pointer for sale on a local neighborhood app. Have others experienced this like I have? Any words of encouragement? I suppose the biggest issue is not being able to easily get back up off the ground (painful a bit on my knees if down too long also). I tried making a pvc pipe extension for my pro-pointer which helps but ultimately I need to get down to dig. I also have a short 36" shovel for metal detecting and digging roots (saw blade on sides) I found on Amazon. But I'm afraid to take it with me for fear of others seeing me digging up the park or wherever. For now in my yard, I have been trying to keep it simple with just my detector, pro-pointer and a screw driver for coin popping - but finding only pennies, dimes and many beer caps.

Thanks for your help. (Tim)

Hey Tim,
We all know what you need to do so do it and save your life. I was 224 lbs when I decided to lose weight. I bought every diet book I could find. After reading them all I came to the conclusion "just don't eat anything white" and snack on pickles and olives. I did that and lost 39 lbs in 4 months without exercise or anything else. It was easy because you can eat red meat, pork, fish and just stay off the bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. And as a side note.... putting a pound of butter on popcorn to make it yellow doesn't count...... Good luck my friend.

OP
OP
T

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found treasure! (well coins)

I went to my father in laws farm in Ohio over the weekend. It was very hot outside so I didn't spend much time detecting. But after 30-45 minutes or so I (with my nephew - digging) found some nails, bottle caps, modern pennies and dimes and wait for it....buffalo nickels, and Morgan and I think a mercury dime. I'll put pictures up when I get home or later this week.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Everything worth doing takes effort, and it seems to me that as I get older, more effort is required, but thats the way it is.
in the mean time however, this looks like a good idea. 3858649C-22F7-4396-8361-4CF4BF87727A.jpeg
hang in there and keep doing what you love.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture came through great. Lots of good suggestions. Taking care of self, tools to make the detecting easier...I like the idea of working with an enthusiastic youngster whom is interested in the hobby. I find that detecting takes my focus off of bothersome body issues.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, this poster says he has health issues and is sad and heavy. Several people post that he should watch what he eats, instead of giving advice for detecting and the encouragement he asked for before he sells all his detecting gear.
He has health issues that most likely pertain to his weight and the detecting was his way of having fun, his wife didn't get it. Then he comes here for encouragement. The first post after his is about food. Then many others say the same. He's probably sold his stuff and never going to respond. I wouldn't.

Lets hope not.

I am in a 'similar' situation.

So before I take 30 + min to reply , I want the OP to see it.

We all have issues , many worse than others , some issues are unfix able but some are with effort on our part.

'Me' I need to fix what I can or Quit ( i'd feel 100X ) worse if I quit.
GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions