Not sure if I can continue metal detecting - health, restrictions, etc. - Saddened - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree401Likes

Thread: Not sure if I can continue metal detecting - health, restrictions, etc. - Saddened

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    So, this poster says he has health issues and is sad and heavy. Several people post that he should watch what he eats, instead of giving advice for detecting and the encouragement he asked for before he sells all his detecting gear.
    He has health issues that most likely pertain to his weight and the detecting was his way of having fun, his wife didn't get it. Then he comes here for encouragement. The first post after his is about food. Then many others say the same. He's probably sold his stuff and never going to respond. I wouldn't.
    Lets hope not.

I am in a 'similar' situation.

So before I take 30 + min to reply , I want the OP to see it.

We all have issues , many worse than others , some issues are unfix able but some are with effort on our part.

'Me' I need to fix what I can or Quit ( i'd feel 100X ) worse if I quit.
    GL
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdg8934 View Post
    I'm still here guys! I have been reading your wonderful posts of encouragement. Thank you all. I think my main issue is I just can't get off the ground once down easily. Hard to lift up 350 lbs but I will figure something out. I plan on going to Ohio next month with my family for a long 4 day weekend visit (8 hr drive) where my father in law has built a house on what they call "the farm" which is an old piece of property in Elyria I believe. I hope to bring my detector (vice having an argument with my wife), 36" root saw shovel, pro-pointer, etc. Lots of wooded and open area, barn, garden, campground like settings to detect that I know wont be a problem. Hopefully I wont just find nails or junk. Set the Ace 350 to coins and I should be fine. I'm looking forward to it - but since I can dig, it wont be a problem as much getting up/down I hope. I'll keep the group posted of my finds (Aug 9-12). Thanks again! (Tim)

Sounds like a great plan , and until your trip 'Maybe?' try to walk a bit more than often , or (like Me) try to move your arms / leg stretches , extra movement helps , BTW I wish that I could live by what advice I've given , it's hard these days .

Also maybe try to learn about detecting while it's still Hot & in Sept or Oct give it your best try.
    GL
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    6315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I use a Draw String Sack

Attachment 1729856

Came with a set of Headphones.

Then I Hooked a Clip to the String. Which I hook to one of my Belt Loops.

Attachment 1729857
    By my Rear Right side Pocket

I also Broke Down & Started Wearing Suspenders after Buying My Umpteenth Belt,
    & Breaking it within Seconds of Putting it On & Trying to Pull it Tight enough to Work.

Now I Don't need to buy 6 Belts a Year & My Pants Stay up
    FWIW
    Suspenders have become a 'MUST' in the last year and a half ; with my 215-220 lbs & my Coke / Pepsi ...'belly' No beer for me in years but the soda works better at putting on the fat.

Chafed inner thighs are a big issue of mine a few times a year.

It's like work ....This detecting stuff is def a 'Sport'. or Work I enjoy , I just got to get out of the HOUSE!!!!

Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    6315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredman View Post
    I like the take a kid detecting idea and have them enjoy digging the targets.
    Great Idea.

Tho I like to recover my targets in pristine (dug) condition.
    Hillbilly Prince and devldog like this.

Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    6315 times
    I can't wait for the Ohio hunt at my father in law's farm. On a related note: I bought an EMS-48 scooter that is fast - can go up to 25 or 30 MPH on a 45 mile electric charge. I'm getting my Outback fitted tomorrow with a towing hitch and will pick up a carrier for the scooter. I have also ordered a small crate size trailer (2 wheels) that hitches behind it to carry my metal detecting stuff. Its really for my wife to get her out of the house (doesn't drive) but I'm going to use it also when I can. I'm not sure if I will need to take it to Ohio from Illinois but it's doable.

Other exciting and surprising news. My recently married 30 yr old son from KY (grew up in CA) texted me as he is getting into metal detecting and has an Equinox 800 ordered. I told him about this site being the best there is in treasure finding. Currently he just started buying 1/2 dollars in large quantities from his bank ($5K-$10K) and has found a few 90% silvers but mainly 40% and clad(?). I'm sure he'll be a new member if not already soon. Too bad he didn't live so far away in KY as I'm from IL.

I'll post pictures of my detecting in Ohio in a month from now when I go.

Tim
    Great reply & y'all have a wonderful trip.
    Davers
    devldog likes this.

Davers

us
    Timothy Gilmore

Jun 2019
    Mundelein, IL
    Ace 350
    62 times
    Metal Detecting
    1934, 1936. 1937 buffalo nickels
    1944 D wheat cent
    1867 5 cent
    1873 Morgan dollar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8941EA4-B0CD-4F08-91B6-E20EEFC553C1.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	1743099

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    10279 times
    1934, 1936. 1937 buffalo nickels
    1944 D wheat cent
    1867 5 cent
    1873 Morgan dollar

Name:	A8941EA4-B0CD-4F08-91B6-E20EEFC553C1.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	1743099
    Those are great finds! Nice to see you are doing good.
    Here is a a really handy digging tool which can help with getting up off your knees. Mine give me trouble at times. This is the Lesch 1v.

Name:	21Axo2OsQ1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	1743110
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    3455 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by alan m View Post
    Everything worth doing takes effort, and it seems to me that as I get older, more effort is required, but thats the way it is.
    in the mean time however, this looks like a good idea.Attachment 1743025
    hang in there and keep doing what you love.
    Where can I get one of these?
    Hillbilly Prince and alan m like this.

us
    Timothy Gilmore

Jun 2019
    Mundelein, IL
    Ace 350
    62 times
    Metal Detecting
    I’m using this from Amazon

Name:	0B2CC149-0D26-4E66-80CA-59068662FDC7.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	1743116

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, 720i Stealth Scoop
    7094 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The scooter looks awesome! Great finds!
    Hillbilly Prince and devldog like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links