Not sure if I can continue metal detecting - health, restrictions, etc. - Saddened

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500, Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been practicing in my back yard for a few minutes to a 1/2 hour on the weekend - Garrett Ace 350 / Pro-Pointer. I really enjoy it (except for the bugs-lol). I'm in my mid 50's and about 350lbs and getting up/down to dig my findings has been very hard if not almost impossible at times. I get grief from my wife about me doing this hobby at all - not supportive, and with restrictions in digging and not knowing where to go, I've gotten a bit down on this to the point where I have my detector and pro-pointer for sale on a local neighborhood app. Have others experienced this like I have? Any words of encouragement? I suppose the biggest issue is not being able to easily get back up off the ground (painful a bit on my knees if down too long also). I tried making a pvc pipe extension for my pro-pointer which helps but ultimately I need to get down to dig. I also have a short 36" shovel for metal detecting and digging roots (saw blade on sides) I found on Amazon. But I'm afraid to take it with me for fear of others seeing me digging up the park or wherever. For now in my yard, I have been trying to keep it simple with just my detector, pro-pointer and a screw driver for coin popping - but finding only pennies, dimes and many beer caps.

Thanks for your help. (Tim)

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still here guys! I have been reading your wonderful posts of encouragement. Thank you all. I think my main issue is I just can't get off the ground once down easily. Hard to lift up 350 lbs but I will figure something out. I plan on going to Ohio next month with my family for a long 4 day weekend visit (8 hr drive) where my father in law has built a house on what they call "the farm" which is an old piece of property in Elyria I believe. I hope to bring my detector (vice having an argument with my wife), 36" root saw shovel, pro-pointer, etc. Lots of wooded and open area, barn, garden, campground like settings to detect that I know wont be a problem. Hopefully I wont just find nails or junk. Set the Ace 350 to coins and I should be fine. I'm looking forward to it - but since I can dig, it wont be a problem as much getting up/down I hope. I'll keep the group posted of my finds (Aug 9-12). Thanks again! (Tim)

Sounds like a great plan , and until your trip 'Maybe?' try to walk a bit more than often , or (like Me) try to move your arms / leg stretches , extra movement helps , BTW I wish that I could live by what advice I've given , it's hard these days .

Also maybe try to learn about detecting while it's still Hot & in Sept or Oct give it your best try.
GL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Draw String Sack

View attachment 1729856

Came with a set of Headphones.

Then I Hooked a Clip to the String. Which I hook to one of my Belt Loops.

View attachment 1729857
By my Rear Right side Pocket

I also Broke Down & Started Wearing Suspenders after Buying My Umpteenth Belt,
& Breaking it within Seconds of Putting it On & Trying to Pull it Tight enough to Work. :laughing7:

Now I Don't need to buy 6 Belts a Year & My Pants Stay up :coffee2:

FWIW
Suspenders have become a 'MUST' in the last year and a half ; with my 215-220 lbs & my Coke / Pepsi ...'belly' No beer for me in years but the soda works better at putting on the fat.

Chafed inner thighs are a big issue of mine a few times a year.

It's like work ....This detecting stuff is def a 'Sport'. or Work I enjoy , I just got to get out of the HOUSE!!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the take a kid detecting idea and have them enjoy digging the targets.

Great Idea.

Tho I like to recover my targets in pristine (dug) condition.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait for the Ohio hunt at my father in law's farm. On a related note: I bought an EMS-48 scooter that is fast - can go up to 25 or 30 MPH on a 45 mile electric charge. I'm getting my Outback fitted tomorrow with a towing hitch and will pick up a carrier for the scooter. I have also ordered a small crate size trailer (2 wheels) that hitches behind it to carry my metal detecting stuff. Its really for my wife to get her out of the house (doesn't drive) but I'm going to use it also when I can. I'm not sure if I will need to take it to Ohio from Illinois but it's doable.

Other exciting and surprising news. My recently married 30 yr old son from KY (grew up in CA) texted me as he is getting into metal detecting and has an Equinox 800 ordered. I told him about this site being the best there is in treasure finding. Currently he just started buying 1/2 dollars in large quantities from his bank ($5K-$10K) and has found a few 90% silvers but mainly 40% and clad(?). I'm sure he'll be a new member if not already soon. Too bad he didn't live so far away in KY as I'm from IL.

I'll post pictures of my detecting in Ohio in a month from now when I go.

Tim

Great reply & y'all have a wonderful trip.
Davers

OP
OP
T

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500, Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1934, 1936. 1937 buffalo nickels
1944 D wheat cent
1867 5 cent
1873 Morgan dollar
A8941EA4-B0CD-4F08-91B6-E20EEFC553C1.jpeg

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1934, 1936. 1937 buffalo nickels
1944 D wheat cent
1867 5 cent
1873 Morgan dollar
View attachment 1743099

Those are great finds! Nice to see you are doing good.
Here is a a really handy digging tool which can help with getting up off your knees. Mine give me trouble at times. This is the Lesch 1v.
21Axo2OsQ1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Everything worth doing takes effort, and it seems to me that as I get older, more effort is required, but thats the way it is.
in the mean time however, this looks like a good idea. View attachment 1743025
hang in there and keep doing what you love.
Where can I get one of these?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread