Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Minelab 600 vs Garett AT PRO which one should I go with

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    2806 times
    As the famous Deion Sanders said when he went to the Dallas Cowboys; "BOTH!" LOL
    A nice used AT Pro can be had for around $350. I paid $700 for my EQ800.

I have both machines and haven't put in enough time on the EQ. I can tell you that battery charge will be more work with the EQ600. Put batteries in the AT Pro and forget about it for many many hunts. Keep up on charges with the EQ600 after every use.
    Hawks88 and smokeythecat like this.

us
    Mar 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
    326 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Most people do however, in one respect or another. Even if you never go to the ocean, or hunt lakes or rivers, you'll probably have to cross a creek sometime, or you simply get caught in a downpour some distance from shelter. Being waterproof should be a basic feature with all good detectors these days. That hokey water kit that XP will sell you for the Deus is laughable.
    If the Deus is that expensive I agree, I can't believe it is not waterproof from the factory.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29399 times
    Eq multifreq is way to go, waterproof and multifreq, my hunting partner sold his Deus after buying and using his EQ 800 a few months, Multi freq will also beat single freq all day long.
    Hawks88, RustyGold and dsdigger like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    May 2011
    2834 times
    I live in the SE, red clay mineralized soil, intense trash and unbelievable amounts of iron.
    Most hunting is challenging here, depth is an issue but nothing near the masking problems we have to overcome...everywhere.

Around here I have friends that used AT Pros, Fishers, Tesoros, Minelabs, T2's, many different Whites units and a Deus...plus more.
    One was a Whites guy for decades and he did very well but he got a a Nox just to hunt salt water beaches but when he got used to it hunting his own lawn and other public sites near him he realized how much better and easier the Nox deals with our devil dirt.
    He hasn't powered up any of his White units since.

Another had a pro and loved it but bought a Nox.
    When I saw what it was capable of I got one but he used it for awhile and did pretty good but he sold it because he just loved the Pro, the sounds and behavior and thought he would up his game and get an AT Max.
    He didn't like that one, it worked similarly to the Pro but not exactly and he didn't like the way it worked so be went back to the Pro.
    Then he noticed how many masked targets I, and others, are finding around here so he rebought another 800 and all the coils and that's what he hunts with now.

Another had been doing this for 30 years and has them all, Minelabs, top line F75, T2, Whites and more.
    He got curious when he was on a trip to Fla and stopped in to see Phil Meyers and called me while standing in front of him and asked if he should get one and I listed all the reasons he should.
    He said Phil was listening in on our conversation and just smiled every time I listed a reason why, and there were many.
    5 minutes later he owned one and I suspect he is using it more than any others like the rest of us.
    None of this is a coincidence, all of us saw an advantage and ability the Nox has that our others didn't, both in depth and the uncanny ability to find severly masked targets...HERE!

If I still lived in Kansas and hunted in that almost perfect soil I probably wouldn't have thought of getting a Nox because everything I owned and used worked so well there but here...we needed more.

Is it perfect, no, I love hunting more with my F70 more because it doesn't have the compacted disc range the Nox has but the Nox is just finding me more...the Nox is finding us all much, much more.
    This thing is not just reopening a few of our depleted sites, it is opening up ALL of our sites.
    But that is here in a very weird place to do this hobby.

My opinion, in good dirt most everything does well but if you have special and copius amounts of issues and challenges like I do ya gotta go with what really works.
    Last edited by digger27; Jul 03, 2019 at 06:48 AM.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
    Annnnd now an Equinox 800

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Treasure_hunter, I've had the 600, 800 and Deus. I sold the two Minelabs. They did not live up to the hype and the Deus was easier to use and found more. Nothing wrong with the Minelabs, but the "multifrequency" sometimes seemed to muddy the waters, not make them clearer. Three frequencies with harmonics didn't cut it with me, and I find a lot of nice stuff.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    9633 times
    I’ve had 3 Garrett machines and 3 Fisher machines. The minelab is multi frequency which is nice, ground balance tracking that works real good, waterproof is a huge bonus for me because I’m mostly a beach hunter, and believe it or not it is so nice to just wear the Bluetooth earbuds, and did I say how light this machine is? I’m 67 yrs. old and I can swing this thing all day. I had the AT pro and it’s a great machine but to heavy and doesn’t have the bonus features the Minelab has. Just my opinion.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29399 times
    Smokey, been using multifreq for over 12 years and the Equinox 800 gives you 5 freqs to choose from plus multi, 600 gives you 3 plus multi, currently own 800 along with my other detectors..
    Joe-Dirt, Hawks88 and dsdigger like this.

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm sticking with the Deus and Tesoro. Both are lighter weight than the Minelabs, even 1 pound makes a huge difference. The Deus has a clearer sharper "hit" with targets, the Minelabs so deeper on salt beaches, but I've seen too many folks walk out of the water here bleeding from some underwater hazard, so I'm not going there. A lot of it is personal preference, there is no such thing as a "magic wand" on a stick.
    Trapper John and Joe-Dirt like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    29399 times
    Owned several Tesoros and sold them, now they are same as Troy, out of business. Set tones on Equinox to 2, 3 or 5 tone Equinox has clear sharp tones. Like you said each to his on.

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yup, to each his own. I don't dig like I used to even 2 years ago. My Tesoro will probably outlive me! They last forever, and because of the analog design anyone half decent with electronic experience can fix one, if it ever comes to that. Now backing the truck over one won't help much.
    DiggerNut and dsdigger like this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    834 times
    I bought the AT Pro when it first came out and used it up until February of this year when I got the Eq 800. I canít speak to the 600, but the 800 will run circles around the AT Pro. Not that it the Pro is not a good machine, but the Eq has much better depth and excellent separation at depth. Iíd recommend spending a little extra and getting the 800. For me itís been worth every penny. I canít speak for the Deus either, but did plenty of research before investing my hard earned money to Minelab. Hope this helps.
    Hawks88 and RustyGold like this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    834 times
    I should also add that I have a Tesoro Sidewinder umax and love it too, it's an excellent lightweight machine and very capable. I learned to metal detect with it. I'll probably wind up selling the AT Pro and keeping the Tesoro.
    RustyGold and Joe-Dirt like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It will be interesting to see what the manufacturers come out with for the Christmas season.
    xr7ator and Joe-Dirt like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Mojave 720i Stealth Scoop
    6958 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Owned 3 ATP all sold. Capable detectors just way to unbalanced in my opinion. Screen was too difficult to see in the sun. It had a rainbow effect over it.
    Equinox has a much nicer feel to it and clearly shows what’s under the coil as well as great tones for further target ID.
    How many AT Pros we’re fixed under warranty compared to the Equinox?
    I do love my two Tesoro’s for their weight and capabilities. YMMV. Good luck!
    Hawks88 and Joe-Dirt like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It's too hot to dig and doctor says I can't till August. And it will probably be hotter then.
    Joe-Dirt likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links