Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had 3 Garrett machines and 3 Fisher machines. The minelab is multi frequency which is nice, ground balance tracking that works real good, waterproof is a huge bonus for me because I’m mostly a beach hunter, and believe it or not it is so nice to just wear the Bluetooth earbuds, and did I say how light this machine is? I’m 67 yrs. old and I can swing this thing all day. I had the AT pro and it’s a great machine but to heavy and doesn’t have the bonus features the Minelab has. Just my opinion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, been using multifreq for over 12 years and the Equinox 800 gives you 5 freqs to choose from plus multi, 600 gives you 3 plus multi, currently own 800 along with my other detectors..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sticking with the Deus and Tesoro. Both are lighter weight than the Minelabs, even 1 pound makes a huge difference. The Deus has a clearer sharper "hit" with targets, the Minelabs so deeper on salt beaches, but I've seen too many folks walk out of the water here bleeding from some underwater hazard, so I'm not going there. A lot of it is personal preference, there is no such thing as a "magic wand" on a stick.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owned several Tesoros and sold them, now they are same as Troy, out of business. Set tones on Equinox to 2, 3 or 5 tone Equinox has clear sharp tones. Like you said each to his on.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, to each his own. I don't dig like I used to even 2 years ago. My Tesoro will probably outlive me! They last forever, and because of the analog design anyone half decent with electronic experience can fix one, if it ever comes to that. Now backing the truck over one won't help much.:laughing7:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the AT Pro when it first came out and used it up until February of this year when I got the Eq 800. I can’t speak to the 600, but the 800 will run circles around the AT Pro. Not that it the Pro is not a good machine, but the Eq has much better depth and excellent separation at depth. I’d recommend spending a little extra and getting the 800. For me it’s been worth every penny. I can’t speak for the Deus either, but did plenty of research before investing my hard earned money to Minelab. Hope this helps.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should also add that I have a Tesoro Sidewinder umax and love it too, it's an excellent lightweight machine and very capable. I learned to metal detect with it. I'll probably wind up selling the AT Pro and keeping the Tesoro.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be interesting to see what the manufacturers come out with for the Christmas season.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Owned 3 ATP all sold. Capable detectors just way to unbalanced in my opinion. Screen was too difficult to see in the sun. It had a rainbow effect over it.
Equinox has a much nicer feel to it and clearly shows what’s under the coil as well as great tones for further target ID.
How many AT Pros we’re fixed under warranty compared to the Equinox?
I do love my two Tesoro’s for their weight and capabilities. YMMV. Good luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too hot to dig and doctor says I can't till August. And it will probably be hotter then.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sticking with the Deus and Tesoro. Both are lighter weight than the Minelabs, even 1 pound makes a huge difference. The Deus has a clearer sharper "hit" with targets, the Minelabs so deeper on salt beaches, but I've seen too many folks walk out of the water here bleeding from some underwater hazard, so I'm not going there. A lot of it is personal preference, there is no such thing as a "magic wand" on a stick.

I do agree with the sharper hit with targets. Especialy on coins. I own both the 800 and the Deus and i find the Deus a better coin shooter then the 800. If it hits a coin i know for 80% that it is a coin. With the 800 i don't know this all the time, the VDI scale is also to small. The sites i used the 800 are almost empty for the Deus but this is also the case for sites where i used the Deus. In my soil they are almost equals but because of the light weight and wrist problems i have, i take the Deus more then the Minelab..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to test drive each machine if you possibly can. Only you can make the choice, and will have to live with it. At least for awhile.:laughing7: Like me, buy it and sell it.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the Nox 800 and enjoy it but a concern is battery life and it will be expensive to replace (you can't replace it yourself; see instruction manual). Further, it is a complex machine and this is from a CTX 3030 guy. Since I do salt water, I'd get the Nox 600 as Smokey suggested; BUT, if I didn't do salt water I'd get the AT Pro, my middle sister loves it. Can't go wrong either way but have to consider battery life on the Nox.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still best to test drive any many before you buy it.

I already have more machines than I can swing at one time.

Maybe in a couple years there may be some groundbreaking change, but I don't see it right now. With that said, I'm sure the "new" stuff coming out is top secret!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I own both machines and an AT max, the only reason I purchased the Nox was the salt water capabilities. On dry land it’s very similar to the AT max. When I got the Nox I went to places I had hunted out and did pull up more coins, but the thing I love about my AT pro is the multiple coil options, I have a 15” Detech, 13” Detech, 5” super sniper, and the stock 11”. I plan on the 5x8 which is a great little coils as well.

If it’s going to be your first machine, I would go with the AT pro, very user friendly and extremely durable

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Nox 800 and enjoy it but a concern is battery life and it will be expensive to replace (you can't replace it yourself; see instruction manual). Further, it is a complex machine and this is from a CTX 3030 guy. Since I do salt water, I'd get the Nox 600 as Smokey suggested; BUT, if I didn't do salt water I'd get the AT Pro, my middle sister loves it. Can't go wrong either way but have to consider battery life on the Nox.

So far, the internal battery has been a non-issue. Sure, you charge it after every use, but, once you get into the habit (like Deus owners already know) it's no big deal. It IS owner replaceable. It doesn't take a tech or mechanical engineer to change it. Once there is enough demand for a replacement, I would imagine there will be some aftermarket suppliers also......probably with an even better battery (think RNB). As for complexity, like most higher end machines, you can turn on and go, or tweak away to your hearts content. There are several modes to choose from and are good for most applications right out of the box. I still contend that there is nothing that an AT can do that the Nox can't do, as well, or better.....and it's lighter. When you consider the salt water advantage, there is no contest.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be waiting for a groundbreaking machine. I'm not seeing one yet, but by then, I may not detect much. The cat is getting old fast.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get whatever machine you think is good for you but don’t let the Anti-Equinox troll persuade you in anyway. Remember to learn your machine well and the finds will come. Good luck

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned an AT PRO for about 5 years now and it's been great for me on land and fresh water. But in those 5 years I've come to learn that I prefer beach hunting most. The PRO was fine for dry sand but I could never get comfortable with it in wet sand or saltwater. It just made too much noise and if I got the noise to settle down I wouldn't get depth. So I've bought an equinox for the beach which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet. Hoping it will be much better.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The EQ will do better than AT in salt water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread