Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Minelab 600 vs Garett AT PRO which one should I go with

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    be
    Oct 2016
    Belgium
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab Excallibur, Xp Deus, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Tesoro Bandido Umax, Teknetics Omega 8000
    315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I'm sticking with the Deus and Tesoro. Both are lighter weight than the Minelabs, even 1 pound makes a huge difference. The Deus has a clearer sharper "hit" with targets, the Minelabs so deeper on salt beaches, but I've seen too many folks walk out of the water here bleeding from some underwater hazard, so I'm not going there. A lot of it is personal preference, there is no such thing as a "magic wand" on a stick.
    I do agree with the sharper hit with targets. Especialy on coins. I own both the 800 and the Deus and i find the Deus a better coin shooter then the 800. If it hits a coin i know for 80% that it is a coin. With the 800 i don't know this all the time, the VDI scale is also to small. The sites i used the 800 are almost empty for the Deus but this is also the case for sites where i used the Deus. In my soil they are almost equals but because of the light weight and wrist problems i have, i take the Deus more then the Minelab..
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Try to test drive each machine if you possibly can. Only you can make the choice, and will have to live with it. At least for awhile. Like me, buy it and sell it.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher F-Pulse Pointer
    1511 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have the Nox 800 and enjoy it but a concern is battery life and it will be expensive to replace (you can't replace it yourself; see instruction manual). Further, it is a complex machine and this is from a CTX 3030 guy. Since I do salt water, I'd get the Nox 600 as Smokey suggested; BUT, if I didn't do salt water I'd get the AT Pro, my middle sister loves it. Can't go wrong either way but have to consider battery life on the Nox.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It's still best to test drive any many before you buy it.

I already have more machines than I can swing at one time.

Maybe in a couple years there may be some groundbreaking change, but I don't see it right now. With that said, I'm sure the "new" stuff coming out is top secret!
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Jul 09, 2019 at 05:52 PM.
    dsdigger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT Max, Minelab Equinox 600,Garrett carrot, Detech 15x12, 4.5” SS and a couple of shovels
    3357 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I own both machines and an AT max, the only reason I purchased the Nox was the salt water capabilities. On dry land it’s very similar to the AT max. When I got the Nox I went to places I had hunted out and did pull up more coins, but the thing I love about my AT pro is the multiple coil options, I have a 15” Detech, 13” Detech, 5” super sniper, and the stock 11”. I plan on the 5x8 which is a great little coils as well.

If it’s going to be your first machine, I would go with the AT pro, very user friendly and extremely durable
    Hawks88, RustyGold and dsdigger like this.
    “I was a kid once, but I wasn’t very good at it”

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6890 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrencetheMDer View Post
    I have the Nox 800 and enjoy it but a concern is battery life and it will be expensive to replace (you can't replace it yourself; see instruction manual). Further, it is a complex machine and this is from a CTX 3030 guy. Since I do salt water, I'd get the Nox 600 as Smokey suggested; BUT, if I didn't do salt water I'd get the AT Pro, my middle sister loves it. Can't go wrong either way but have to consider battery life on the Nox.
    So far, the internal battery has been a non-issue. Sure, you charge it after every use, but, once you get into the habit (like Deus owners already know) it's no big deal. It IS owner replaceable. It doesn't take a tech or mechanical engineer to change it. Once there is enough demand for a replacement, I would imagine there will be some aftermarket suppliers also......probably with an even better battery (think RNB). As for complexity, like most higher end machines, you can turn on and go, or tweak away to your hearts content. There are several modes to choose from and are good for most applications right out of the box. I still contend that there is nothing that an AT can do that the Nox can't do, as well, or better.....and it's lighter. When you consider the salt water advantage, there is no contest.
    RustyGold and dsdigger like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I will be waiting for a groundbreaking machine. I'm not seeing one yet, but by then, I may not detect much. The cat is getting old fast.

Apr 2017
    2665 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Get whatever machine you think is good for you but don’t let the Anti-Equinox troll persuade you in anyway. Remember to learn your machine well and the finds will come. Good luck
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    May 2014
    Cumberland, VA
    White's coinmaster pro Garrett at pro Equinox 600
    55 times
    Anywhere I can find coins
    I've owned an AT PRO for about 5 years now and it's been great for me on land and fresh water. But in those 5 years I've come to learn that I prefer beach hunting most. The PRO was fine for dry sand but I could never get comfortable with it in wet sand or saltwater. It just made too much noise and if I got the noise to settle down I wouldn't get depth. So I've bought an equinox for the beach which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet. Hoping it will be much better.
    RustyGold, cudamark and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The EQ will do better than AT in salt water.
    Treasure_Hunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug H View Post
    I've owned an AT PRO for about 5 years now and it's been great for me on land and fresh water. But in those 5 years I've come to learn that I prefer beach hunting most. The PRO was fine for dry sand but I could never get comfortable with it in wet sand or saltwater. It just made too much noise and if I got the noise to settle down I wouldn't get depth. So I've bought an equinox for the beach which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet. Hoping it will be much better.
    It will work in salt water but you have to ground balance when your in wet salt sand, then again in water if it is salt water, even then it is still chatty.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    992 times
    I used the ATpro and now use the Nox 800, some thing i recently noticed with the Nox I have a hard time finding my target because of all the iron in the hole, never had this problem with my ATpro and Im not complaining lol
    Hawks88 likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Back to my original point, take a drive and test drive any machine you are considering buying. I have seen (all machines on the market) being not liked by one person or another for (insert reason here). YOU are the one who will be using it. Not every one likes the same color or make of car. There is no magic wand on a stick out there. Hope there is a dealer near you, or at least within a hundred miles or so. Makes for a nice road trip. PLUS the dealer can sell you extra stuff.
    dsdigger and Trapper John like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6890 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug H View Post
    Don't worry, it will be!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    6890 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Back to my original point, take a drive and test drive any machine you are considering buying. I have seen (all machines on the market) being not liked by one person or another for (insert reason here). YOU are the one who will be using it. Not every one likes the same color or make of car. There is no magic wand on a stick out there. Hope there is a dealer near you, or at least within a hundred miles or so. Makes for a nice road trip. PLUS the dealer can sell you extra stuff.
    If you are able to borrow or rent these models before you buy, that would be great. Even still, if you've never used either one before, you might not be able to make a proper decision until you get more experience with the machines. If you aren't able to test drive a loaner, I don't think there are too many (if any) dealers that are going to let you take a brand new machine to the ocean just to try it and not buy it. I'd base my decision on what type of detecting I'd be doing, and which machine is designed for that type. Single VLF machines are NOT designed for salt water. Will they work there? To a point they will, if you detune the machine enough to make them stable. If you get a multi-frequency (or PI machine) machine, you don't need to do that.
    Trapper John likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links