Minelab 600 vs Garett AT PRO which one should I go with - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Minelab 600 vs Garett AT PRO which one should I go with

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    Cumberland, VA
    White's coinmaster pro Garrett at pro Equinox 600
    213 times
    Anywhere I can find coins
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    It will work in salt water but you have to ground balance when your in wet salt sand, then again in water if it is salt water, even then it is still chatty.
    I dont want to take over this thread with my experience with the PRO but ground balancing on a saltwater beach usually ends up at around 12 to 14. My experience as well as others I know is that when the machine balances at that low of a number the depth is severely affected. Irregardless of where the sensitivity is set. Like I said, for me it's been great everywhere but the wet sand and saltwater which renders it almost useless for me. Others who have success with it there, I submit to your detecting skills.
    Trapper John likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    31327 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Like Cudamark said, perhaps if you join a local club, assuming there is one nearby, borrowing a machine for a bit from someone who knows each would be great.
    dsdigger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41765 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Good ideas some detector stores rent them also
    dsdigger likes this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31327 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    A2coins, I think all the dealers around here have gone out of business. That's been quite recently.

us
    World's Grumpiest Old Man

Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    135 times
    Metal Detecting
    One thing to watch out for with any machine is that they are all - machines. In a world obsessed with extended service plans it is easy to overlook the fact that machines need service and occasionally break down. This requires near constant care and maintenance, as well as a willingness to pop into forums such as this one to post questions and concerns, as you have done.

You've done well by asking for opinions. As for the AT Pro once I figured out what my machine was doing it has served me well. The coil failure, while frustrating, is hard to assess. Do you use a coil protective cover, or was the problem initially electrical? Defects and manufacturing errors are seemingly a way of life. That may be why so many Garrett owners speak highly of their maintenance policies as well as why "extended service" plans in general are so popular. I have always figured that a product's reputation and warranty should speak for itself. After all what we're really dealing with are product specifications, like mean time to failure and mean time to repair. Why does a product need an additional outlay of funds if it is properly designed and built in the first place?

In any event you are well along the path to making a choice. Whichever brand and model you select, in the final analysis ongoing care and feeding will be required. When you select your machine, be sure to take the time to learn it well. And be prepared to deal with its idiosyncrasies over time.
    RustyGold likes this.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

- a casual remark made by a man I met while bushwhacking in rural Oregon.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    31327 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Chase7628, did you get a machine?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New