Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Minelab 600 vs Garett AT PRO which one should I go with

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dirt Fisherman

Mar 2018
    CICERO NY
    38 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Minelab 600 vs Garett AT PRO which one should I go with

I have a chance to get either model and wondering what your thoughts are on the machines and what the biggest advantage of one over the other is?

Minelab 600 vs Garrett AT PRO

Thanks in advance for the help
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    4636 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Should you get a Ford or a Chevy....I love my PRO and I am sure that the NOX lovers will say the same about their machine. I thought about getting a NOX but decided to just spend more time learning what I have which in the end is probably the most important thing you can do after you make your selection. If you have a local detecting club or local dealer, go check them out, swing them, listen to them then make your choice. I can tell you that you can't go wrong with either one!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you go in the salt water get the 600. Otherwise, due to reliability I'd get the Garrett. On dry land it's pretty much a toss up. The 600 was designed to compete with the AT's.

us
    Mar 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
    326 times
    Smokey is right on. I had the AT, loved it. What makes the AT good, is how easy it is to use. The Nox is not a easy machine. It would be nice if the At were better at the ocean, but the Nox does beat it badly there.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4860 times
    my opinion would be 600. we do get red clay and mineralized soil here in parts of western ny. the 600 multi will open up those sites better than the at. I noticed the difference in many sites using the 800 vs the single frequency detectors I and others have used there in the past.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6890 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Without a doubt, the Equinox. I don't know of one thing that the AT Pro will do better than the Nox. The Nox is like having 8 machines in one. It's way more adjustable (if you want/need it to be) or a simple turn on and go machine. In salt water, no contest, the Nox will run circles around the AT series. (that includes the AT Gold and At Max). The only thing I see better about the AT Pro is the slightly cheaper price. Just my opinion, and I'm sure you will get others. Talk to people who have used both (like me) before you make a decision.
    rjeffw, devldog, Hawks88 and 3 others like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Or better yet, test drive a machine at a dealer. Only you can make the decision.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    8362 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If itís your first machine, get the Pro. If you have some experience metal detecting get the 600. Have fun!

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    735 times
    Relic Hunting
    I also agree with Smokey. I went for 3 years on the AT pro and then to the Nox 800. If I had spent the time really learning the AT Pro (and more about the science and art of metal detecting) as I did the 800 (about 1 year) I think I would have been better off. the close spread of the VDI on the nox is frustrating. It crams too much at the upper end where as on the AT Pro things are more spread out. Example in the 20 - 25 range on the Nox it could be quite a few different coins.

But once you do learn the 600 or 800, they have more capability than the AT Pro in my opinion based on using both. No I won't go back to the AT Pro, but have fond memories of it being a simpler but quite effective machine. The Nox will do very trashy areas but out relic hunting or on good permissions with not much trash, it will be a close horse race between the two.

us
    Mar 2017
    Western North Carolina
    Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
    326 times
    pulltabfelix that is my biggest complaint with the Nox also. With my AT, a nail was very much a separate signal from other more viable targets.
    Trapper John, devldog and dsdigger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The upgrade to either an AT Pro or Max and the 600 or 800 is the XP Deus. It outshines any detector made. Sometimes you can pick up a used one for the price of a new 800. The don't break, either. I had an AT Pro that broke its coil and the Equinoxes have been plagued with gremlins, which is very disappointing coming from a big name manufacturer.
    devldog, fishstick and dsdigger like this.

us
    Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    114 times
    Metal Detecting
    I chose my AT Pro as an intro detector because it is waterproof to 3 meters. It rains a lot where I am located. To be perfectly honest the 600 was unknown to me at the time so it missed my comparison list. In the final analysis I would want to swing both of them and see for myself what the pros and cons are for me. It's a bit like buying a sound system: after basic specs are compared what sounds good to one person may be intolerable to another. The key is to first decide what your budget permits, read and ask, as you have, and try out your "short list."

Finally, a key factor will be where and what you decide to hunt for. In a sense, you can play a game such as golf with a driver, putter, and irons 3, 5, 7, and 9. These 6 clubs will let you get into the game, but don't plan on winning the Masters Tournament with them. Too me the same can be said for detecting. You want to be neither over nor under gunned. You do need to keep your learning curve in proportion with your expectations regardless.

Having proved definitively that a 5 iron will not float, I know of that which I speak.
    Last edited by Trapper John; Jul 02, 2019 at 03:10 PM.
    devldog, Michael 2 and dsdigger like this.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

- a casual remark made by a man I met while bushwhacking in rural Oregon.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6890 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    The upgrade to either an AT Pro or Max and the 600 or 800 is the XP Deus. It outshines any detector made. Sometimes you can pick up a used one for the price of a new 800. The don't break, either. I had an AT Pro that broke its coil and the Equinoxes have been plagued with gremlins, which is very disappointing coming from a big name manufacturer.
    Although the Deus is a fine relic and coin machine, it isn't waterproof and not a good salt water beach detector. In that aspect, it does not outshine any other detector. It is excellent in heavy iron though, if that is a priority.
    Hawks88 and dsdigger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21499 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Since I don't water hunt, being waterproof is irrelevant. In NY where the OP is, a dry land machine would be my choice.
    devldog and dsdigger like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    6890 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Most people do however, in one respect or another. Even if you never go to the ocean, or hunt lakes or rivers, you'll probably have to cross a creek sometime, or you simply get caught in a downpour some distance from shelter. Being waterproof should be a basic feature with all good detectors these days. That hokey water kit that XP will sell you for the Deus is laughable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links