Is White's customer service better than the rest?

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in pain over my broken Tesoro Tiger Shark which I bought in part because of its lifetime warranty ,which is now worthless. I have been looking at all kinds of replacement machines new and used but but after reading so many post on TN about hassles with Minelab and Fisher and the thought echoed here that all manufacturers are lacking on keeping their promises, I think maybe I should buy a whites PI unit brand new.

My whites 5900 SL broke when I dropped it almost 20 years ago and whites fixed it under warranty even though I said I had dropped it and they got it back fast and even replaced a knob I had lost. Do they still have these high standards?

I am not a wealthy guy, a $1000 plus Toy comes from sacrifices. I am just looking to make an informed purchase based on more than a manufactures sales speak.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had to use their customer repair service a few times and always received nothing but 5 star service, quick turn around and things were done right. I highly recommend them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kingvegan, before you give up on the Tesoro, remember these are analog machines and can be repaired. Trick is to find an electronic technician who can do it. An oscilloscope and the proper part would do it. These are not computers on a stick.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a lot of folks bash Garrett but the AT Pro is hard to beat. It might not be the greatest detector out there but it has made some excellent finds for me.

And regarding your thread title........Garrett has one of the best customer service reputations out there. I'm sure others will chime in to agree. :icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both Garretts and White have exceptional customer service, and their machines are built to LAST. Quality control is excellent. I have owned both. I had a bad knob thing on one White's and it was a non issue with them. Garretts fixed a pinpointer I had lost on a salt water beach, and although my fault, repaired it in less than 2 weeks turnaround and was CHEAP.

WHATEVER YOU DO, try to test drive a new machine if you go in that direction. Not all machines are created equal.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I fully agree with Smokey, if you ever get the chance to visit the Whites factory in sweet home Oregon go for it Great museum the you can go thru while the fix your Machine if its a Quick fix been there twice for coil replacements over the years Chug

orgwayne

Greenie
Mar 31, 2014
philomath
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT/ Garrett Pro-Pointer, won Pointer at Gold show in Roseburg Oregon 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Agree with Chug , I live west of Sweet Home , and have taken my XLT in for service twice in 10 years , By the time I Have walked around the Museum the thing is fixed !! last there , the ladies at the front desk even threw in a coil that came back in the package , never used for nothing !!
Love there service
Wayne

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree with Smokey, if you ever get the chance to visit the Whites factory in sweet home Oregon go for it Great museum the you can go thru while the fix your Machine if its a Quick fix been there twice for coil replacements over the years Chug

Never thought about visiting Whites, Garrett, etc for their museums. That is a great idea. Thanks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought of it either, but I'm a long way from Oregon.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought of it either, but I'm a long way from Oregon.

Me too , but I visit Portland every fall. Gave an invited scientific talk in Corvallis years ago and that's even closer (should have gone to Sweet Home then).

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closest I get is San Jose. One offspring lives there in the land of fruits and berries.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one in Portland and one 12 minutes away. The one 12 minutes away has our grandson - the only reason why we stay in Maryland. I can't see myself living in Portland, but i like Astoria and could like some other small towns.

Last edited:

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't rely on customer service to make a buying choice.
You want a detector you are comfortable with and have confidence in.
Not one who has best repair service.
Over the years, most all major detector manufacturers have had some sort of service issues at some time.
They knew to stay in business and be profitable, quality service is important.
So they work hard to resolve internal service issues to provide good service.
Some may be better than others at it, but they all provide good service.
When looking at the big boys, fisher, whites, garrett, minelab, etc, I don't consider service as part of the buying equation.
I'm looking for what will suit me and serve my purpose best. Not who has best customer service.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Megalodon,

What was the subject of the scientific talk? I'm a Physicist and am just curious.

Doc

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Megalodon,

What was the subject of the scientific talk? I'm a Physicist and am just curious.

Doc

Evolution in a species of fish. Divergence in isolation during coastal Pleistocene glaciation and the evolution of isolating mechanisms when the glaciers retreated. A type of punctuated equilibrium with some geographic variation thrown in for fun. Mostly showed that not all evolution occurs slowly nor required hundreds of millions of years.

Within a few years of publication, the papers that came from this work were cited over 500 times and may still be discussed in the textbooks. Occasionally, I'm still surprised to meet a young grad student at a meeting who tells me the work inspired their research and that my paper was the first one they cited in the introduction of their thesis.

The funny thing is I had to re-invent myself for the job market. But that work also resulted in landmark papers, invited talks, and textbook citations. When I received an award for "democracy in conservation biology" at Monticello a few years ago, I realized the administration that opposes both would fire me if they found out about how inclusive i was, so I chose to retire a little early at 62 in 2017, even though i loved what i was doing and my co-workers.

Last edited:

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whites is outstanding I think, I had a surf PI that had a problem, Went to Whites in Sweethome, the rep told me to wait for a few minutes, came back with a new one in a box.. Pretty happy with that for sure...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had very good service from White's and Minelab. Unless your search area is relatively iron free, I probably wouldn't choose a PI machine. Even though I search in all metal, I like to be able to I.D. a "for sure" iron target so I can pass it by. Right now, the best deal on a all-around detector that also works great on a salt water beach, is the Minelab Equinox.

Last edited:

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The FEW times I have had to deal with Whites service, I have been extremely happy with them. Never had a problem!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions