New to MD'ing. White's MXT

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I have always wanted to give metal detecting a try but have never jumped in with all my other hobbies. Just picked up a White's MTX tracker E series for $150 from a little old lady whos husband passed away. Looking forward to getting out and having some fun with it.

I live just outside of Boise Idaho so the surrounding areas are FILLED with old ghost towns, gold and silver mines, camps etc. Mainly want to hunt for coins and gold nuggets.

Anyone have any tips for a newbie? I do quite a bit of research whenever I jump into something new but I would love to hear any advise anyone has.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great detector I have used one for several years. What coils do you have for it? Everyone has their own favorites and will recommend a different coil. Do you have the manual for it? If not you can download one from Whites web page. If you have a detector club in the area I'm sure that several people will be familiar with it and give you some hands on help. I recommend that you use coin & jewelry mode to start and drop some coins on the ground to play with. It will help you get familiar with the machine. If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very good machine...good luck with the new machine! :occasion14:

OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I actually just picked it up. It looks brand new. I doubt its been used more than a dozen times. Came with the detector and the factory eclipse 950 coil, a pair of whites maroon dual volume control headphones, a bullseye ii pinpointer and the carrying case. Put some batteries in it, threw some coins on the floor and just tested it out. Works great on the basic test. Tomorrow ill throw some in the yard and have at it.

I think i got a great deal for $150. Looking forward to finding some treasures.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great detector it will bang in some great finds for you, "if you want to find things of old, you have to research places of old..". (Seeker)

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. You got a screaming steal. The 950 coil was standard and a good all-around coil. Unless you have very trashy sites, that coil will work well for you. An easy machine to use too. Have fun.

MichaelDigger

Jul 7, 2019
TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's MTX is a nice choice as a first metal detector! It is great both for coins and relics. First of all, you need to check the information about metal detector features, learn more about discrimination modes and choose the best coil for your needs.
But the main sing that you must know: 50% of success is this is a good preparation before start metal detecting (knowledge, metal detecting area, etc.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread