I Just ordered PI kit from Russia, any tips ?

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered a P.I kit from Russia today. I have never built one before but it looks like what Silverdog was selling several years ago as a Barracuda. I am not certain though. A guy in Canada is offering to build a water proof coil built custom to the specs of the kit, but I don't really know what that means, I am waiting for a response from him. Anyone ever assembled a similar kit? Any tips will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Every year I have my electrical Engineering students build a very simple metal detector circuit and demonstrate operation. This is to learn about analog, digital, filtering and circuit design. If you are serious about the hobby and are into beach/water hunting; please consider purchasing a complete/working PI machine from a known company. You will have a more productive experience. If you just want to learn electronics...etc. go for it!

Good Luck with the project!

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every year I have my electrical Engineering students build a very simple metal detector circuit and demonstrate operation. This is to learn about analog, digital, filtering and circuit design. If you are serious about the hobby and are into beach/water hunting; please consider purchasing a complete/working PI machine from a known company. You will have a more productive experience. If you just want to learn electronics...etc. go for it!

Good Luck with the project!
Do you mean the kit will not work very well or that I should have bought four so I can quickly start over after I make a mess out of the first three?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you have a good soldering Iron that fits the job. A Weller comes to mind. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you have a good soldering Iron that fits the job. A Weller comes to mind. Good luck!

I have been searching those , which price range would you recommend ? They vary wildly!

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends what you have ordered. Some kits are good to learn electronics basics, other are sirious machines.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been searching those , which price range would you recommend ? They vary wildly!

I have a Weller. They are good. I'm sure you can find more expensive ones if you prefer.

leonidas

Aug 30, 2018
Kennesaw, Ga
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, White's MXT, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station is the one i use, really like it.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy American. You can buy a PI detector from several reliable companies based here AND have a warranty. Russian tech is always a copy of rip off of some other tech. If we don't support our American manufacturers they will all go the way of Tesoro IMO !!!!!!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an Optivisor or similar magnifier, it will help a lot.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't make me go all Jeff Gordon-Peyton Manning and get banned. I've had enough bud light i can do it again for ya. LoL

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy American. You can buy a PI detector from several reliable companies based here AND have a warranty. Russian tech is always a copy of rip off of some other tech. If we don't support our American manufacturers they will all go the way of Tesoro IMO !!!!!!

I drove myself nuts looking for an American supplier or Canadian supplier or British supplier.. I bought this one out of desperation on eBay.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe the kit will not be of the highest quality and not suitable for "real world" hunting in the elements. I am not discouraging you from building the kit and having fun learning electronics, building and troubleshooting. I just feel buying a high quality, assembled machine from a major manufacturer will give you much more metal detecting fun.

Good Luck and keep up posted on your project.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm with the others guys. Cancel the order and buy a complete unit from reputable dealer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions