Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it happened to me this morning. I was detecting where the state had bought up a lot of right of way for widening an interstate highway. There were no workmen present, no equipment being operated and I was minding my own business and for God's sake I was covering up my holes even though it would soon be covered with asphalt. A security guard dressed in a uniform identical to the local police told me I was on "restricted" property and I'd have to leave. She didn't know anything except the "state" said so. I wrote a professional sounding email to the Department of Transportation inquiring about why the land was "restricted", and explained how and what I was doing there. I have hunted on this type of state land dozens of times and never had a problem. So, I guess I'll wait and see if I get a response. M ::) nty

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I finally got run off State owned land

Sorry to hear that Monty.

"Liability" will be the Excuse I'm sure.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty it sounds more like it is the "cloak of authority," operating here. Some people with a little power think they just have the option of lording it over someone else. More than likely you won't hear anything in writing. I'd try it again when the female guard isn't there and see what happens. Ya never know........

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Monty

Had a similar experience not to long ago. The guard was actually hired by the company doing the work and they didn't want anyone getting hurt on the property while they were doing the work. It had nothing to do with the state or their rules.

Sorry to hear you got ran off.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm surprised they didn't give you a citation saying 'how dare you try to save coins from the asphalt monster'. "Liability" is usually the reason and making sure vandalism doesn't occur to their equipment.
It's a shame anyways... >:(

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Buy a green reflective vest like they wear and wear it while detecting. They just might leave you alone

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monte---If they stop you again ask if there is a law against hunting there and ask where you can view it at.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i guess this sort of thing happens to all of us at one time or another. i know it makes you mad cause reading about it makes me mad. i love how they always want to mess with the folks who are minding their own business and not bothering anyone..... im sorry to hear about your crummy luck monty.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

This has nothing to do with State laws. It is more to do with general urban-demolition hunting. I run up against this type of thing occasionally at old-town sidewalk rip-outs: Every once in awhile, someone will come up and tell you you can't do it. Other times and other cities, you can go till you're blue in the face, in full view of traffic and everyone, and no one will say a thing (assuming you're not there during the work-men's hours). I would not recommend asking to whatever agency, city, county, state, etc... is in charge of the demo. project, because you will invariably get a "no", when, in fact, if you just went after hours, usually no one cares. This would be for street and sidewalk projects, where it's usually nothing more than cones around it. For fenced building demo's, well, that's another topic :)

Sandman is right: "I'd try it again when the female guard isn't there" Sounds like she's just a rent-a-cop. Unfortunately, there's been a lot of equipment and material theft off of const. sites in the past few years (copper recycling for instance) so they're starting to monitor demo. sites. Nothing to do with detectors or coins, but they just paint with a broad brush now >:( If the rent-a-cops stint was at 5pm, then you know she's not on-duty at 5am the next morning, nor will the work crew have started then. If you think it's a really good hunt spot (where you finding stuff?) then you might try it then, and keep a lower profile.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

I'd think twice about revisiting that site Monty, if you are caught or confronted a second time, the first "get off the property" might be interpreted as a fair warning with a second offense being a criminal trespass.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, I won't go back until I get some clarification from the Ok Dept of Transportation (ODOT). They (the rent-a-cops) can't issue citations, but can call the real police and have you arrested and it isn't worth that. I kinda' suspected the gal was hired by the house moving company too, but I had no way to prove it so I think the best thing to have done was just to leave and check things out before I go back. The way I understand it, some contractor bought the houses and plans to resell and move them to the buyer's property. But they don't own the land, just the structures. If I get something in writing from ODOT you can believe I will tell the security people to shove it. The liability thing is a joke all right. You should see some of the crummy roads we have to drive over here in this state. It couldn't get any more liable than that! LOL

mark.

Apr 13, 2006

.........to me....it ain't worth the hassle.

I would just move on to another site............see ya mark

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

yep "lie ability" -- if some one sneaks onto a construction site and trips & falls or is otherwize "hurt" in some manner then the nitwit sues saying the "constuction" site wasn't secured properly to keep them off of it and if it had been they they could not have got on it and gotten hurt (stupid huh?) ---(the law should say --- and if your butt wasn't tresspassing you would not have gotten hurt either so you get zippo --- because you can not "profit" by a crime)--- offically its a state "constuction site" --- hince the rent a cops hired to keep folks off ---
Ivan

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I dunno, I do good at old-town demolition sites. If I waited for signs that say "C'mon down and detect here", guess I'd have to still be waiting?

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain

Thats when I say in my best Italian accent, "You got a job to do, I got a job to do. If you got a problem with dat, call the union and ask for Jimmy. I'm on a time line here, so let me get back to work, Guido will be here to pick me up soon and I haven't found da gu... uh, da watch yet."

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL There isn't ten real Italians in this state! M :D nty

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's the shirt Monty, the good luck shirt. You may be in for a long bout of bad luck till you break in that other shirt. ;D ;D ;D
Burdie

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Never heard anything back from the state....didn't really expect to. But a fellow who is in the know told me that they had to put security on the place because theives were coming in at night and day time too and stripping the plumbing out of the houses. Those houses although vacant had been sold to someone supposidly with everything intact and they were losing their a$$ .....no reflection on our A$$e$. I can understand that to some extent, but some of the lots are stripped bare and there's nothing to steal there. Dang thieves! I hate thieves worse than anything! M >:( nty

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007

The town I live in is widening a local street. My old home was one of the ones bought by the state. After the 3 in this block were moved, I have and still hunt this area. The road is 3 years behind schedule.

I am gonna keep at it until I get told not to by a state highway person. I feel for you Monty, it sucks that the thieves have ruined it for you, Beale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread