May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ll be on vacation in August at the beach, that gives me time to get a pirate costume for my morning walks

:icon_thumright:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ll be on vacation in August at the beach, that gives me time to get a pirate costume for my morning walks

:icon_thumright:
Or, you could dress like your Avatar, "Bloody Bill" Anderson. That would get you some looks too. Lol

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Devldog the looks are enough for me. Bullets cross the line. Haha lol

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say someone looks at you and thinks your a nut job even laughs points how is what he thinks even effect you ya can't live your life to worry about what people think you'll most likely never even see them again and most people who would think that are very insecure about them selves to begin with shake that booty

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my wife and first started dating 19 years ago we went to the beach with her daughter and her good friend. They were all laughing at me as I geared up (looking like Lawrence of Arabia in all white and my big sun hat) and they put down their towels and plugged the umbrella in the sand. I didn't get 5 feet from the towels before scooping out a gold/ruby and diamond ring. My now wife slipped it on her finger and I never got a chuckle since. The ring was nice but my wife is the best find I ever made! As for the other folks laughing and staring, I'm too focused and having fun to really notice.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say someone looks at you and thinks your a nut job even laughs points how is what he thinks even effect you ya can't live your life to worry about what people think you'll most likely never even see them again and most people who would think that are very insecure about them selves to begin with shake that booty

Generally, those people I can tolerate. Its the times we live in which are producing a generation of people who stick their noses into other peoples' business and call the "authorities" and complain that "he's ruining our day at the beach!!!" :BangHead: What am I doing that requires the permission of someone I don't know and am not near, nor touching and generally ignoring? What? Making virtually self healing holes in the sand?? Removing shredded aluminum cans and poptops? I just don't understand people these days.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Devldog the looks are enough for me. Bullets cross the line. Haha lol
Yes sir, indeed. Flying lead unfortunately keeps me from hunting certain areas where I know you could still find some CW relics. Our society has gone down the ole' Johnny flusher.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you Really want to get folks upset and take notice, go detecting while wearing a Make America Great Again hat and shirt. You may want to wear a bullet proof vest underneath your T shirt.

I wear mine everyday day as you can see it’s not even bright red anymore due to the sun. Not one person has ever told be one thing even in the heart of New Orleans.i I kind of wish someone would. IMG_1012.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally, those people I can tolerate. Its the times we live in which are producing a generation of people who stick their noses into other peoples' business and call the "authorities" and complain that "he's ruining our day at the beach!!!" :BangHead: What am I doing that requires the permission of someone I don't know and am not near, nor touching and generally ignoring? What? Making virtually self healing holes in the sand?? Removing shredded aluminum cans and poptops? I just don't understand people these days.
My friend I hear ya I think the news kinda makes you think people are worse than they are, but even so you still have the right to do this hobby as much as they have a right to be an A##### Just remember too many Americans who fought for our rights our freedom and whos family members or friends have will never allow this kinda idiotic nonsense to take hold. Hang inthere All of us here on tnet are dealing with the same but it doesnt stop us. KEEP RIPPIN STOP TRIPPIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One time, I was metal detecting a beach and some smart ass was walking along with his wife throwing pennies all over the beach area. He said "find any pennies" and I said, with a very serious tone and a smile, "NO this is a gold only machine" :tongue3:, his wife smacked him in the head and "said stop being a loser and grow up". I laughed all night over that interaction. :icon_thumleft:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

""""""""Let's say someone looks at you and thinks your a nut job even laughs points"""""""""""
Cary a ring or two with you and hold them up and laugh at them.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny, how you can be the vulture/scavenger, then when someone needs your help, your there Hope.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea, I think we all get the stares but I like to have fun and just mess with some of their minds. For example, I noticed a bunch of girls (prob 16-18 yrs old) looking at me MD and so I pretended to detect and pick-up a penny and then jump up off the ground as high as I could and said 'Wooppee I found another cent", put it in my pouch and continue MDing like nothing happened. The girls died laughing and I got a big laugh out of it too. Another time two young kids walked by me on the beach and one of them said, under-his-breath something like get out of the way old man. Without missing a beat, I said "Hey, I'm only 29, the sun does this to you!" And the beat rolls on...

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies understand. they SMELL jewelry when they see you out there and they are usually VERY curious as to what you have found. I like to keep a cheap gold engagement band with a big CZ rock in my pouch and when they ask, I show it to them. Be careful if they are shapely East European looking honeys however, there is usually a very insecure guy lurking nearby to make sure his mail-order sweetie isn’t straying off the place!! Ask me how I know!!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised nobody has had some shirts made up with "Voluntary Beach Clean-up Crew" embroidered across the back!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread