May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.

Upvote 0

Steph81

Jul 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have felt that way. We just came back from the beach and I usually detect early in the morning before anyone is at the beach but this year I said screw it and went in the late afternoon. People stare at me like I'm a gold digger. Lol.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have felt that way. We just came back from the beach and I usually detect early in the morning before anyone is at the beach but this year I said screw it and went in the late afternoon. People stare at me like I'm a gold digger. Lol.
Aren't you? :)

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I didnt know when I started this thread there would be so many great replies. Thanks guys.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.

I confess to being the likely source of "the creepy old guy" persona, and I don't even need to have my metal detector with me!
dts

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I confess to being the likely source of "the creepy old guy" persona, and I don't even need to have my metal detector with me!
dts

DTS you dont look like a creepy old guy in that picture although I cant tell, is that a skunk your holding? :laughing7::

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply keep myself focused on my machine and the digs, most folks that approach me are friendly. When I get a smart ass I put them in their place with an equally smart comment.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you want to be left alone on the beach dress as a Clown with face paint while using your metal detector and I guarantee EVERYONE including children will leave you alone.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug.
I lived in India for while,Ha,try that!..I had a Family pass by where I was resting on a Rock at the beach.My Fins and Mask were on the Rock.They stopped and asked what are those for? True Story.Country Folks I would Guess.
I spent a year in India as well. Where were you? I was in the south Kerala State Trivandrum Right off of MG Road (Mahatma Gandhi) Its true, they are not hip to certain things from other cultures and are very curious about things that are American. They try to emulate us and was often asked if something they had was American and if, not they were very eager to know what was and where to get it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
One time a kid was following me around at Seal Beach and was super curious about it all and that I was treasure hunting especially. When I got a hit in the damp sand with his help we pulled out a quarter. I gave it to him and said “here is your first treasure” he was so happy!
Unbeknownst to me two Older gentlemen we’re watching the episode unfold and as I looked up they nodded their approval.
It was a very good day!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time a kid was following me around at Seal Beach and was super curious about it all and that I was treasure hunting especially. When I got a hit in the damp sand with his help we pulled out a quarter. I gave it to him and said “here is your first treasure” he was so happy!
Unbeknownst to me two Older gentlemen we’re watching the episode unfold and as I looked up they nodded their approval.
It was a very good day!
Better than hooking kids on drugs by far!!! :)

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a skunk but two black bear cubs. Their mother was tranquilized while our state wildlife folks weighed her, took blood, gave her ear tags, etc. They were the cutest little guys imaginable even though they scratched the heck out of my face trying to climb higher - I guess that's their natural instinct when creepy old guys hold them-climb to the highest point!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a skunk but two black bear cubs. Their mother was tranquilized while our state wildlife folks weighed her, took blood, gave her ear tags, etc. They were the cutest little guys imaginable even though they scratched the heck out of my face trying to climb higher - I guess that's their natural instinct when creepy old guys hold them-climb to the highest point!

My only regret about retiring after 32 years at DNR is that I didn't get to do exactly what you are doing - hold bear cubs. Unfortunately, the timing was wrong and bears were weighed and examined at the western part of the state. Would have been the best retirement gift ever.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
My only regret about retiring after 32 years at DNR is that I didn't get to do exactly what you are doing - hold bear cubs. Unfortunately, the timing was wrong and bears were weighed and examined at the western part of the state. Would have been the best retirement gift ever.
I’m sure you have some incredible wildlife stories! Thanks for all those years of public service.
dts

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that the people I've seen on the beach that take notice of what I'm doing are very friendly and enthusiastically curious about what I've found, my equipment, how long I've been doing this etc. I have yet to run into anyone that looks at me like I'm a nut or intruding on "their beach." I've been beach hunting for years and have had very positive interaction with people on our Florida beaches.

Just the experience in my foxhole....

I mainly hunt Great Lakes beaches and my experiences have been positive 99% of the time. I had a group of drunk college kids making a few wise cracks while detecting on a Caribbean cruise until they saw me dig out a gold ring out of the sand, then the laughing stopped, a few quipped "hey, I lost that" and I said, if you can tell me what's inscribed inside the ring and it fits your finger it's yours for a $100 finders fee. Never heard a peep out of them the rest of the afternoon.
I remember my 1st trip to a Florida beach as a naive youngster seeing a guy metal detecting for the 1st time, I stared, wondering how well the machine worked and thinking, "poor guy must be down on his luck having to hunt for spare change to get by." Now I just laugh when I think about that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions