Looks on the beach - Page 6
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: Looks on the beach

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Diggin'

Jan 2020
    Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
    568 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug H View Post
    This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.
    Have you tried wearing pants?

Just sayin'.
    -DH-
    Last edited by Diggin' History; Mar 20, 2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added text
    RustyGold and Irishgoldhound like this.
    ALL of my comments are my opinion(s) and, as such, mine - whether deemed factual or false by any third party.

If I offend anyone, it is NOT intentional and, a PM should be directed to me for discussion.

Shh, don't tell anyone but, I left the Corona Bottle Cap I found at the bottom of the hole... buried!!!

Molecular phylogeny of the major arthropod groups indicates polyphyly of crustaceans and a new hypothesis for the origin of hexapods.

I have a Water Pistol and I know how to use it!

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by playitcoolmusic View Post
    I saw this on Amazon, exactly what you mentioned. Made me laugh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XWZ3Q9
    Hmm, I posted on july 20 2019....maybe the bots picked up on my suggestion. First available on Amazon March 15, 2020
    Diggin' History likes this.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    24764 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    As my beautiful mother (RIP) use tell me,”People are shit”’

+Not all not all but most

Mar 2020
    Omaha
    White DFX, Fisher F4
    10 times
    Hello, i used to think that too. Now have come to the realization that they are jealous. Maybe they want to hunt, but dont know how to get started. Every true red blooded person has some treasure hunter in them. Some definitely more than others. Those who are not blessed with it stare at those who have it LOL

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8766 times
    My experiences at the beach, while metal detecting, for the most part has been a positive one. When I first started I was a bit shy about being in front of people but as I gained more experience and confidence that all has faded.
    After awhile you know where to position yourself so as not to “get the looks” or kick the hornet’s nest.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

EQ8
    us
    Feb 2020
    Sw Wisconsin
    Equinox 800 Garrett Carrot
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishgoldhound View Post
    Humans are funny. If we see something different or unusual we stare it’s normal human being behaviour. I think some people are intimidated by us. We stand out amongst the ordinary like a black sheep on the beach and I love it. I’ve always liked being different than everyone else. Some people are scared of being different and follow the norm. Some people are also jealous of other people who stand out and are doing something they never thought of. Most people I think are actually saying to themselves when they stare is .. “that would be cool”...I bet he finds some good stuff “why didn’t I think of that”.
    I used to work with a guy who had a Harley shirt that said "If you want to be like everyone else, Ride the bus"
    You don't stop playing because you get old..
    You get old because you stop playing

Aug 2016
    1294 times
    Let-em look its free that's all there good for. your doing something constructive like finding treasure there just jealous

us
    Dec 2018
    FL, OK
    Whites TDI Beach Hunter Equinox 800 XP DEUS
    482 times
    You mean looks like this. Girl on the left is dripping with Grrrrrrrr! Then stopped me and all turned out ok. Funny how things change when you show them a bit of gold. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	964E99C5-943D-46F2-A359-D67DE94C3730.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	755.8 KB 
ID:	1813024
    RustyGold, EQ8 and Irishgoldhound like this.

us
    Diggin'

Jan 2020
    Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
    568 times
    I don't mind the stares as it gives me a good excuse to go over and talk to them in my "Psycho" voice. Ten minutes later there is a whole large section of beach cleared out for me to hunt.

Seriously, I do not care - I've been doing this for so long that I have grown used to the stares. However, if I'm on a beach detecting and I see a couple of people looking my way, I will see if I recognize them and if I do, I will walk over and visit with them. As luck would have it, I usually talk a few into giving my detector a try. As they are walking around with it, people will come up to them, or me, and start asking questions. This is a perfect opportunity to get new Detectorists involved in our hobby and for me to go virtually unnoticed from that point on.

An easy way to break you of your shyness, and break the ice with "company" is to get dressed in your metal detecting garb and head out to the beach, yup... a Nudist beach, and start detecting. You will find out in about 5 minutes who the SHY ones really are and find out that it's not really you.

-DH-
    ALL of my comments are my opinion(s) and, as such, mine - whether deemed factual or false by any third party.

If I offend anyone, it is NOT intentional and, a PM should be directed to me for discussion.

Shh, don't tell anyone but, I left the Corona Bottle Cap I found at the bottom of the hole... buried!!!

Molecular phylogeny of the major arthropod groups indicates polyphyly of crustaceans and a new hypothesis for the origin of hexapods.

us
    Diggin'

Jan 2020
    568 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    My experiences at the beach, while metal detecting, for the most part has been a positive one. When I first started I was a bit shy about being in front of people but as I gained more experience and confidence that all has faded.
    After awhile you know where to position yourself so as not to “get the looks” or kick the hornet’s nest.
    PM sent.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czkidd View Post
    You mean looks like this. Girl on the left is dripping with Grrrrrrrr! Then stopped me and all turned out ok. Funny how things change when you show them a bit of gold. Click image for larger version. 

Holy Moly! Even a holy man would check that out. Simply ridiculous to dress like that and then be offended if you get looks.

– Albert Einstein

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8766 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggin' History View Post
    PM sent.

Thanks Diggin! Got it. Responded..
    Diggin' History likes this.

– Albert Einstein

us
    Diggin'

Jan 2020
    568 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    Thanks Diggin! Got it. Responded..
    Back at ya Rusty.

Thanks again!
    -DH-
    RustyGold and Czkidd like this.

EQ8
    us
    Feb 2020
    Sw Wisconsin
    Equinox 800 Garrett Carrot
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czkidd View Post

Must have been early. I see the crack of Dawn
    Coinboy, RustyGold and Czkidd like this.
    You don't stop playing because you get old..
    You get old because you stop playing

us
    Jan 2018
    portsmouth, va
    Garrett ATX Garrett AT PRO Garrett ProPointer Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Ace 200
    27 times
    Prospecting
    Try doing in Japan. The locals seem to get very intrigued, and follow or watch very closely, haha. I had a couple gals steal a pop can I unearthed and took pics with it, haha. Most of the time it's young kids that want to see. If i happen to pull a coin, I'll give it to them. Other times its older folks that say thanks for cleaning the beaches. I've never had a bad experiance...yet, haha.
    RustyGold likes this.
    Garrett ATX
    Garrett AT PRO
    Garrett ProPointer
    Gold hog Raptor 2.0

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsored Links