May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.

Upvote 0

Estima8tor

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE : Nokta Simplex+ WHP : Minelab X-Terra 705 : XP MI-4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think some people just like to watch to see how we go about our detecting and if we're finding anything valuable, don't assume they're watching you because they disapprove in some way. We have over 30 miles of public beaches here and most of the people I've met are genuinely curious about the hobby and are used to seeing detectorist on the beaches. In the ten years I've been detecting I've never had anyone say anything negative to me on the beach. City parks are a different story........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread