May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me about it. I get the looks all the time, plus the ones who look but don't want to be "caught" looking!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just have to wear the right shirt, and smile a lot.8-):skullflag:

Attachments

• hasslijn.png
    hasslijn.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 213

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your very self concious What does it matter someones gotta be the old creepy guy with the metal detector and gold rings they drop

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you been wearing your Border Patrol Hat?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude you’re on a beach that’s nothing!! Lol Try detecting curb strips in the middle of town in the Historic District where all there is is Lawyer offices, boutiques, restaurants and coffee shops while you’re in full metal detecting gear kneepads,shovel and all you’ll get some looks. Lol

I can remember being embarrassed until I found my 1829 8 Reales after that I never looked back. I love being nuts IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1997.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I ignore the "weird" looks. If they smile and seem interested, I don't mind saying hi, or even answering the standard questions that we all get.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have to say that the people I've seen on the beach that take notice of what I'm doing are very friendly and enthusiastically curious about what I've found, my equipment, how long I've been doing this etc. I have yet to run into anyone that looks at me like I'm a nut or intruding on "their beach." I've been beach hunting for years and have had very positive interaction with people on our Florida beaches.

Just the experience in my foxhole....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
All I care about is that I’m out in the day getting on the calendar. Getting some sunshine, exercise and finding cool stuff that makes me feel like a kid again. Cliche? Maybe but then again, I don’t care.
Most people are interested in what you’re finding and if I’m being judged I just haven’t noticed it. Enjoy what you do and let the rest slip away.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been detecting beaches for a long time. I know I’m being watched sometimes but it doesn’t bother me. I usually leave before it gets crowded. I enjoy it to much for it to bother me.

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, all great replies. I just ignore it like everyone does. I guess A2 your right, I am a little self conscious. Truth, that's cool your detecting in median strips cause yeah, I dont think I'd ever do that. I dont like to bring attention to myself but I guess it unavoidable on a public beach. Like peyton said, I'm not doing anything wrong so I'm not going to let getting looks stop me. Just thought it would be a decent topic of conversation.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Last summer I had 3 20 somethings kind of messing with me as I was setting up my machine, “hey find any gold yet?” I said, not today and pointed to my new 2018 hemi dodge pick up and said but I did last year (LMAO) a little white lie but they shut right up and I’ll bet at least one of them bought a machine (;

The beaches I hunt have at least 4 other guys detecting when I show up and I always (wife permitting) head out before dawn and leave as the beach starts to get busy. Most of the interactions I have are positive, you’ll run into idiots no matter what you’re doing. I couldn’t care less what people think.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just figure all the women staring want to be with me and all the guys are jealous and want to be me...:laughing7:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say more are curious about the hobby than judging. If they are judging I don't care.....

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to dress extra dorky on the beach like socks pulled up with sandals on, wear a dress shirt with my camo sorts.... my daughter says you look like a dork and I said well you ever noticed how some guys dress like they are mental, thats because they just dont want to be bothered.... so now she will point them out and say " look he must not want to be bothered" and we laugh....lol

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I don't pay enough attention to the others around as long as I stay out of their "area". Had lots of kids walk up and ask what i am doing and how does the detector work. Rather be the old, fat guy in T-shirt, shorts and sandals with detector than the old fat guy in a Speedo or big lady in a skimpy bikini. Those are the ones that get the looks from me "like really, you got more guts than me!" Don't worry about them, find the good stuff and enjoy the time out.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I don't pay enough attention to the others around as long as I stay out of their "area". Had lots of kids walk up and ask what i am doing and how does the detector work. Rather be the old, fat guy in T-shirt, shorts and sandals with detector than the old fat guy in a Speedo or big lady in a skimpy bikini. Those are the ones that get the looks from me "like really, you got more guts than me!" Don't worry about them, find the good stuff and enjoy the time out.

When I first got my detector about a month ago, I went to a local park and was detecting in the 'beach' (sand volleyball nets) and soon had a crowd of small kids gathered around me asking if I'd found anything. Their moms were curiously looking on as I replied to the that I'd found a quarter! but mostly, sharp metal and bottle caps.
The moms asked what I do with the junk so I showed them the my pouch with all of it and said " I take it so no one cuts their feet". They were thankful for that.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one wants to look old, and uncool to the younger generation...Some of us do fringe on the nerdy side..No one reals pays much attention to me atb the beach..Of course I dont even try to detect on a crowded weekend or anything like that...Oh, and I would wear my border patrol hat...

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gotta be careful. Those old CZ21s are real chick magnets.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread