Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stayed up all night left at 4:30 for New Orleans to hunt the Fort. Staring at 6am the humidity is in full effect. This spot is unusual because after being a French then Spanish Fort in the Rev period it was also a Amusement Park in the 50’s then a public park sense. So what I getting at this there’s everything from pull tabs, hot rocks, old bottle tops, lots of square nails below 4” but also a Rev buttons which fall into the 10-22 range which takes time and luck to find. With the humidity and heat I’m only getting 2 hours in and then it starts getting exhausting. My last beautiful and only solid 24-26 was hitting by a old Oak and with the 6” it was pegged unfortunately under 4 roots intertwined and I chopped, dig and couldn’t even get close enough for my pinpointer to go off. After 15 I started feeling sick and dizzy. My truck was about 50 yards away and had to take many stops almost scared. Finally made it in the truck hit that ac hit the water and sat for 15 mins before driving off. Got a fired round ball. Ugggh IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

Detecting is something you have to love because if not I clearly out of my mind.

Stay safe and stay hydrated. I’ll definitely bring my water next time. Can’t wait till summers over because the spots I hunt unfortunately nothing comes easy so you need to put in hours.

Good luck everybody [emoji256]

P.S. I like this setup for coins and relics I’ve been trying out. Try it maybe you’ll like it. IMG_2996.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, as said, take care in this heat. It's not here in Georgia too. Heck, it's not everywhere it seems. I've been busy with projects here around the house, but I don't think I'd attempt to relic hunt where we do this time of year. When I was younger, I'd go most anytime but I just can't tolerate our not temperatures coupled with our humidity now that I'm older. You are absolutely correct in staying Hydrated. I had to lay a pallet of sod just over a week ago in the heat. I was staying Hydrated and taking short frequent breaks and was still getting beat cramps in both legs. When your out in the heat always be mindful that if your legs begin cramping and feel as if they are going to fold up underneath you, this is the beginning of heat exhaustion. Next stop: Heat Stroke. Your body can get overheated in a New York minute and you can get into trouble. Cut off time here in the am is about 10:00. You come inside soaking wet. Horrible. You are right too in that it takes a special person to work in a burn unit. I was nearly killed in an arson house fire back in 1990. Overall I was lucky in that I suffered 2nd and some light 3rd degree burns to the top of my hands, my ear, and a small area on my neck. I was held overnight in the Grady Burn Unit in Atlanta. The nurses and staff working the unit were great and helped me to rehab back to work much sooner than most would have expected. It takes special medical professionals to work in a burn unit and have to both do and see what they deal with day in and day out inside one of these units. Tell your son Thanks for the specialized care that he will be providing from an ole' retired Firefighter.

devildog sounds like we in the area. I just turned 50 and I’m no spring chicken, that’s 60 years old New Orleans years. Good point on remembering to take breaks [emoji1360]

Take care my friend I’m going at 5am with Possum tomorrow.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love is blind! I, too, have been detecting in this 100 deg heat and it has forced me to buy a pair of Bluetooth earbuds for my Equinox- the headphones were filling up w sweat and had to keep draining and drying every 10 minutes. Now I can't imagine going back to headphones and you can have my earbuds out of my cold dead hands or I guess it would be my cold dead ears.

Hey I’m gonna look into getting some.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, stay hydrated. :icon_thumleft: The heat has been not good for land digging in Massachusetts! :dontknow:

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Florida 95* and 90% humidity is a normal summer day. I look forward to the afternoon rain because it cools it down a bit and the AT-Pro is waterproof and so am I.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're ONLY 50! Wait till you hit 60! Be careful it doesn't hit you back. Don't get sick over relics.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your service "ole retired firefighter". My son had his badging ceremony friday (firefighter & EMT). It was sobering to see the awards named after firefighters and EMTs killed in the line of duty - including EMTs shot while trying to save lives. I support my son and hope he can't see how concerned I am for him working in one of the most dangerous parts of the country.
You have a right to be proud of your son. Public Safety, whether Fire Services, Police, or EMS, are all unsung Hero's in my opinion. It takes a special person, male or female to serve their community and deal at times with low pay and dangerous duty. It has always been sickening to me personally when some of these professional athletes sign these multi million dollar contracts and these public servants who risk their lives almost daily will never make a third of what these athletes make. You have a right as a parent to be concerned, but the Good Lord will look after him as he begins his career and forward. Thanks for the kind words, I was proud to serve in my Dept. and community. For your Son, an old Irish Blessing: "May the road rise up to meet you, and the wind always be to your back" God's Speed.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
devildog sounds like we in the area. I just turned 50 and I’m no spring chicken, that’s 60 years old New Orleans years. Good point on remembering to take breaks [emoji1360]

Take care my friend I’m going at 5am with Possum tomorrow.
I'm 63 down here. I did that new age progression ap as to what I will look like in 20 years, and a headstone popped up. Lol You and Possum be careful tomorrow and I hope y'all find and save some History and some cool relics.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 63 down here. I did that new age progression ap as to what I will look like in 20 years, and a headstone popped up. Lol You and Possum be careful tomorrow and I hope y'all find and save some History and some cool relics.

Thanks devildog we’re sure we’ll give it 100%. Omg 63° sounds like paradise. We about average that in our winters:)

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks devildog we’re sure we’ll give it 100%. Omg 63° sounds like paradise. We about average that in our winters:)

I read the 63 as in 63 years old. But, being 64 myself, I both speak and understand the same language as devldog. LOL.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a right to be proud of your son. Public Safety, whether Fire Services, Police, or EMS, are all unsung Hero's in my opinion. It takes a special person, male or female to serve their community and deal at times with low pay and dangerous duty. It has always been sickening to me personally when some of these professional athletes sign these multi million dollar contracts and these public servants who risk their lives almost daily will never make a third of what these athletes make. You have a right as a parent to be concerned, but the Good Lord will look after him as he begins his career and forward. Thanks for the kind words, I was proud to serve in my Dept. and community. For your Son, an old Irish Blessing: "May the road rise up to meet you, and the wind always be to your back" God's Speed.

Thank you for your kind words Devldog. Means a lot coming from you.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oh hell I thought be meant 63 degrees
Well not jealous anymore lol

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth, I meant. 63 as in years old. But 63 degrees sounds great. I'd rather be 63 degrees.

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking breaks is key. I'm 58 I always start at sun up. I'll hunt with you anytime. Trying to get permissions for cane fields in Laplace, Egard area. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions