Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to think of myself as a moderate level detectorist. I’m not a master of my machines, but I do well. That said, I have made fantastic finds in 2019 so far. You ever have that one item that you just cannot find? Something that should be relatively easy/common but it just won’t come out of the dirt for you? For me it’s a silver quarter. Any silver quarter. I have none. After hundreds of hours. I have a jillion wheats, silver dimes, Indians, war nickels, buffs, v’s, all this, not one silver quarter. I have dug over 10 1965 clad quarters! Ahhhh! The yesterday, at lunch, old school house, I thought I had it. And it was foreign too! Rang up solid 88 on the gold bug. And here she is.... a freakin Canadian quarter, 99% nickel. Omg what a cruel joke. Could have fooled me a hundred times. Dang it!!! It is literally the equivalent of a 65 quarter.
9EB06CF2-035D-4279-B7C4-2A45E0CE52E7.jpeg 8F20572D-F2FB-49A9-913E-ED71160076D1.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She is a pretty coin though.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have just a couple silver quarter finds myself. Yes they are tough to come by. You'll find one soon I'm sure. Just keep at it. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I WILL NEVER STOP. lol

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I'm still hunting a park I've been to hundreds and hundreds of times over the years. I got the Equinox 800 back in February and have been doing pretty good on the silver dimes there. 18 so far since Feb, but no silver quarters up until just last weekend. I thought that I had found them all, but alas...NO. A 1958 Washington managed to get under my coil. Lots and lots of wheats too, but no Indians since the one I found there way back when with my Tesoro. Keep at it, those silver quarters will reveal themselves eventually. That Canadian coin is a keeper in my book, congrats.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It took me over 7 years to find one of my lower end holy grails...a barber dime.
I found mercs, silver roseys, a few silver quarters even but I never could find any Barber coins except a few V nickels.
I even found a Barbet quarter and I was thrilled...but I still wanted that dime.
It was a grail because I hunted in several places where others found them and I had a shot at them but none ever popped up.
Then one day out of the blue in a site where I really wasn't expecting one I found it.
Boy was I happy.

Have patience, it will come.
Probably when you least expect it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find. The Barber will be there one day and you will be surprised and hopefully you will share it with us. Good luck

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re not being punished. You’re being primed. You’re silver quarter is just around the corner. I hope you have someone filming, when you find it, because we all want to see you go spastic when you do!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might want to look in your own back yard - found a 1932 quarter in my back yard last month, along w 2 Mercs and a 1951 Rosie along with about 30 memorials and 1/2 dozen Wheaties and 2 nickels. Love the back yard and have been practicing with my 800 for the past month with new Bluetooth earbuds (fantastic).

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might want to look in your own back yard - found a 1932 quarter in my back yard last month, along w 2 Mercs and a 1951 Rosie along with about 30 memorials and 1/2 dozen Wheaties and 2 nickels. Love the back yard and have been practicing with my 800 for the past month with new Bluetooth earbuds (fantastic).
I’ve hammered my back yard to death. Musketballs, a merc, a Rosie, wheats, copper and clad. Neighbors yards have been hit pretty well too. Stacks of clad, a barber dime, Rosie’s, more Mercs.
Just really missing that dang quarter.

OP
OP
IowaRelic

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another 65 quarter today at lunch. Lol

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cruel I once found a jar of coins under a tree I was thinking all silver cracked it open all recent pennies. Your not alone how about the Gold dollar colored coins lol

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a friend into detecting 4 years ago. He has found Buffalo's, many Wheaties, and an 1831 Large cent. But No Silvers either.
Meanwhile while hunting with him, in sites that he has gotten the permission to hunt for us, I found my First silver - a 1909 Liberty 1/2 dollar; a 1934 Mercury dime, two 1942 Mercury dime's, and a 1948 Rosie dime. Yet he hasn't swung over silver yet, and it is driving him CRAZY too!

Don't worry, it will happen. It took me nearly 10 years before the first, and since, they keep coming. I have 15 total now!

IMG_20181226_075856702.jpg

So keep on, keeping on!
Also coins I found at his selected sites: an 1802 large cent, and 1859/1881/1883 Indian Head cents! I think he is getting mad at me, but I always let him choose where he wants to detect first!

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have probably CASHED IN 10$ worth of 1965 quarters. Literally. This was around 7 years ago, and I’ve been hunting for 9....so in 2 years I had found that many 65’s. The absolute KEY (I have found and this is personal opinion and findings) that IF you want to hunt that silver quarter and find it ASAP, you have to forego all of the targets that you know are NOT going to be a silver quarter. This could be an exercise to see how fast you can find one, and then you could go back and collect all those signals that might be something else. Using the depth meter and VDI, you can narrow things down. Using maps and old aerials to make SURE that old ball field was there in the 30’s just like it is now is critical. Hunting a modern place in hopes of older coins doesn’t make any sense when silver hunting, we know this. But people do it! Put yourself on the correct site first, without that it’s pointless. Then discipline yourself to NOT dig things that have no business being a silver quarter. Depth is critical, I have NEVER found a silver quarter any less than 5” deep, and even THAT was a fluke. The great majority have been from the 7-10” level. They are a big easy target, even for yesteryears machines, and when silver was at a premium, most people would have targeted quarters first! So....they’re hard to find NOW, unless you hunt deep. I’m not saying they CANT be shallow, but we are not hunting the exception here...this is how you are digging so many clad quarters. Forego the first 6” of targets and you will find your quarry much sooner....
Be sure and post that puppy when you find it!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have probably CASHED IN 10$ worth of 1965 quarters. Literally. This was around 7 years ago, and I’ve been hunting for 9....so in 2 years I had found that many 65’s. The absolute KEY (I have found and this is personal opinion and findings) that IF you want to hunt that silver quarter and find it ASAP, you have to forego all of the targets that you know are NOT going to be a silver quarter. This could be an exercise to see how fast you can find one, and then you could go back and collect all those signals that might be something else. Using the depth meter and VDI, you can narrow things down. Using maps and old aerials to make SURE that old ball field was there in the 30’s just like it is now is critical. Hunting a modern place in hopes of older coins doesn’t make any sense when silver hunting, we know this. But people do it! Put yourself on the correct site first, without that it’s pointless. Then discipline yourself to NOT dig things that have no business being a silver quarter. Depth is critical, I have NEVER found a silver quarter any less than 5” deep, and even THAT was a fluke. The great majority have been from the 7-10” level. They are a big easy target, even for yesteryears machines, and when silver was at a premium, most people would have targeted quarters first! So....they’re hard to find NOW, unless you hunt deep. I’m not saying they CANT be shallow, but we are not hunting the exception here...this is how you are digging so many clad quarters. Forego the first 6” of targets and you will find your quarry much sooner....
Be sure and post that puppy when you find it!

Wow, none of my silvers except my 1909 Half dollar were anywhere near 7" down! They all have come between 3-1/2" to 5-1/2", but mostly right in the middle. The quarters were maybe at 5". Definitely different soils in different parts of the country. I'd sure hate to see someone pass over a nice gold ring just targeting silver quarters, but If that is what someone wants the most, then its a "sound" idea. :laughing9:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
It’ll come. Think about the ratio of pennies to nickels to dimes you dig and you have to expect the quarters will show up eventually.

And that quarter isn’t even the real heart breaker in Canada. The ‘68 was worse. Approximately 45% of them were 50% Ag and the rest of them were nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions