Went and tried my hand at water hunting.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have been wanting to try to hunt of local lake, Lake Ponchatrain, which I already know produce some old coin relics that used to be used by ships from New Orleans to my neck of the woods for trade. Well with the heat and everything things lined up with the low tide being at 6am, I have the stealth scoop, I bought chest waiters the whole 9 yards. Well water hunting absolutely sucks!! I can’t do it it’s not for me. I’m a dirty mud digger and my hat goes off to all the water hunters out there. It’s not as easy as I thought.

Upvote 3

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been wanting to try to hunt of local lake, Lake Ponchatrain, which I already know produce some old coin relics that used to be used by ships from New Orleans to my neck of the woods for trade. Well with the heat and everything things lined up with the low tide being at 6am, I have the stealth scoop, I bought chest waiters the whole 9 yards. Well water hunting absolutely sucks!! I can’t do it it’s not for me. I’m a dirty mud digger and my hat goes off to all the water hunters out there. It’s not as easy as I thought.

Low tide in a lake? Try the salt water beaches without the waders and enjoy the beautiful girls/view around you.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Snorkel is your best friend while water hunting.....lol

forget the waders and just get wet!! it's hot dude...lol

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Truth, at least you gave it the ole' college try. Maybe as suggested you could try your hand at beach hunting minus the waders.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep trying. It gets easier and there is GOLD out there. Do away with the waders. They can fill with water and drown you if you fall or step in a hole. Go NEKKID or get a wet suit if you have leeches.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv bin hitting some rivers on the hot days, i wear shorts a t-shirt and shoes and stay cool, i cant use a scoop because of the rocks so I use my pointer and fan the dirt away, you are right though water hunting sucks really sucks doing it one handed lol, I need a mask and snorkel to get in a little deeper, bin looking at scoops for the sand bars at the beach...

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did water hunting in the salt water beaches of New England back in the 1980's using a Garrett Pulse Induction Sea Hunter and found a lot of rusty iron and very few things of value. Not an easy thing to do.....one hand on the detector, the other holding a long handled scoop and a screen sifter tethered to your waist all the while fighting the incoming waves in order to keep your balance. I sold that detector before the summer was over.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's hilarious I also got some waders tried it my leg sunk in the mud almost to my thigh finally found a spot got a signal go to get it its freakin gone wtf I'm not a wet wander my coil is to the soil. I gave it the old GED try Lol funny post

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The waders will get you killed. Wet suit or regular clothes. Alligators will eat either!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny yep waders will fill with water and you will float away like a water balloon and sink to your demise or I your lucky someone will see you roaring down the river like a gigantic bobber and can stop laughing long enough to fish you out if you hit the rapids it would be like a lifetime worth of 6 flags with out having to pay for tickets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's hilarious I also got some waders tried it my leg sunk in the mud almost to my thigh finally found a spot got a signal go to get it its freakin gone wtf I'm not a wet wander my coil is to the soil. I gave it the old GED try Lol funny post

Lol I was so frustrated I just can’t do it. I was miserable sand all over everything I water career is over!!!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats funny yep waders will fill with water and you will float away like a water balloon and sink to your demise or I your lucky someone will see you roaring down the river like a gigantic bobber and can stop laughing long enough to fish you out if you hit the rapids it would be like a lifetime worth of 6 flags wouldnt have to go there again.

I brought no towel because I thought I’d be dry and my jeans got full of sand I’m was disgusted, so I had to drive home in my underwear. I was so happy to leave.....FREEDOM!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't detect the water either. Too much there to hurt you and you can't cover much territory.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya my friend Im done to

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But then you hit the virgin swimming hole and find 2 or 3 gold rings in a few hours and the next day, you want to be in the water again. I only water hunt on lakes & rivers. I hope to get in the ocean some day.

I have 20 gold rings 2 high school rings that I’ve lucked up on in parks when I use to do parks. I don’t sell anything, so a gold ring gets me excited that minute and I love it, but the old American/Spanish silver and old relics is my thing that I always continue to look at over the years. I was looking for old coins in the lake, to be honest I wasn’t even thinking about gold rings. Ever since my water friend found a early 18th century French coin in that lake I’ve been itching to do it. That itch had officially been scratched lol But I truly truly appreciate the water hunter because I thought it was so easy, but I was wrong. Not being able to get my target on one scoop kills me and I hate sand lol

I’m just a old dirty digger

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the Nox in the Atlantic in NC and SC, man it’s a lot of work to hunt past knee deep. My standard 11” coil was really hard to swing and keep near the sand. Waves kept crashing over my head unit canceling out my wireless headphones. Plus in SC the water from ankle deep to waist deep was like 50’, so there was too much area to cover. I really admire those guys that can regularly pull gold and silver from the water. Give me a nice cut in the sand after a storm and I’m all over it, or even the dry sand towel line. Oh well

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a die hard land hunter (started detecting in 1975) - then land sites got thin - hunting the hot months sucked - hunted woods at cellar holes
and had bad poison ivy and ticks every year - started serious water hunting in 1995 - still do land in Spring and Fall
Do water year round - I have what I call an "artic wet suit" so I can hunt Winters
Since 1995 I have sold $70,000 plus in gold, silver, paladium and platinum jewelry and that is just in scrap - I still have like $25,000 in
rings with precious stones and have a couple thousand in silver coins not to mention valuable relics and like $700 in lead
So water hunting can pay off

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't detect the water either. Too much there to hurt you and you can't cover much territory.
GUY on the beach forum - OBN is from maryland and has 600 gold rings in lik the last 6-7 yrs

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a bit of a Land Lover myself. This was a good post. Lots of humor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread