Ace 250: Good intro machine for my soon to be 8 year old

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. I have a 7 year old soon to be 8 year old daughter. She has shown interest in coming out detecting with me. I'm looking for a decent machine to start her out with and I've narrowed my choice down to the Garrett Ace 250. It seems to be a simple, straightforward machine with enough functions to keep her interested in the hobby for a while.

I'd like others opinions on the Ace 250... is it a good intro machine, is it a good intro machine for a child or is there other machines that might be a better fit. She's about 4'4" so the shaft is a bit long for comfortable swinging on the Ace's part... I've contacted Garrett to see if they have shorter shafts to sub in for a starter. If you have any opinions to share than please don't be shy... her birthday is over 3 weeks away and I've got the cash set aside for a purchase so I have a little bit before I have to send an order in.

thanks for all those who share... your thoughts are appreciated.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good solid machine for a beginner.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also say yes. I think the Compadre is actually a better and more accurate discriminator but no display. She would dig more with the Compadre but kids need things to look at I guess....either would be great.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro, who makes the Compadre is out of business, and it is a very good machine, but I'd go with the Garrett.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, set her up in coin mode, shorten the shaft as much as possible, and make sure there are lots of good fun targets to make her experience a blast. The 250 has a great pinpointing mode with the stock coil, almost dead on in the small center groove with a coin target. Keep the hunts short and successful at such a young age. I tried the same with my young daughters and they lost interest after 15 minutes unless there were good easy targets. Have fun!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with an Ace 250 provided you can shorten up the shaft. I started my son at about that age over 20 years ago with a (since discontinued model from an out-of-business company) Tesoro Amigo. I think the key at that age is easy digging. We hunted beaches.

OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett replied when I queried them about a shortened shaft for the detector and apparently they have a junior shaft kit available for $19.99 or something of the like. I also looked at the Tesoro Compadre and it was a surprisingly nice machine. Very simple and while it does lack a view screen it is very easy to work with according to the video I watched and I can't disagree. However the company being defunct makes it a bit of an iffy thing if I want repair work done. Right now the Ace 250 does look like the best bet.. the only other one that popped into view was the Makro Simplex but it hasn't been released quite yet and waiting a few months for a birthday present would be hard.

thanks all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread