Tesoro TigerShark needs repair, suggestions?

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My machine is not very old but it never got the depth I was told was normal and then I tripped and dropped the thing. It starts up and beeps multiple times like it is supposed to and then it just screams. I saw a guy on youtube vix a different brand machine that acted the same and it was a threshold issue, he was lucky, a wire had detached on the threshold potentiometer. I was hoping to fix the Tesoro myself but the way the board is attached in the machine has scared me off.

I do not want to send this thing into someone who is willing to take a crake at it, I am looking for someone that has some experience fixing these machines. I have been unable to find anyone so far on the internet. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
You might consider posting a request on METAL DETECTING FORUM > BRANDS > TESORO for more exposure...

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are the original owner, Tesoro machines have a lifetime warranty. I think you should contact the company. Nobody better to fix it than the manufacturer. I own a Tiger Shark, and LOVE it. Have found many good jewelry with it, and it has paid for itself many times over.
Good luck.

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
call Tesoro, their number is on the website. you have to keep trying so don't give up if nobody answers. I had mine repaired not too long ago and it's better than new. and just FYI, it may take a while for them to get it back to you(mine took over three months) but it was worth it.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If you are the original owner, Tesoro machines have a lifetime warranty. I think you should contact the company. Nobody better to fix it than the manufacturer. I own a Tiger Shark, and LOVE it. Have found many good jewelry with it, and it has paid for itself many times over.
Good luck.

call Tesoro, their number is on the website. you have to keep trying so don't give up if nobody answers. I had mine repaired not too long ago and it's better than new. and just FYI, it may take a while for them to get it back to you(mine took over three months) but it was worth it.

Sorry guys, evidently you didn't get the word...Tesoro is gone, kaput, out of business.
It's been all over the forums for months now since Vince laid off everyone with no warning months ago.
The building where all the magic happened has been sold, rumor is Rusty might have bought a whole bunch of the existing stock and maybe parts but right now he isn't doing much with them...I assume that will change.
Vince is still in the factory repairing a backlog of detectors that were already in for repair, luckily, as well he should because Tesoro kept telling customers they could still send them in for weeks before the big layoff...a big mistake on his part, one of many.
One by one members are reporting they are getting theirs back out of the blue after no communication for months so that is good but he is now a one man show and who know how long he is willing to or is able to do that.
Anyone who sends theirs in now is probably going to lose it because I doubt he is taking any more in for repair before he closes down the place permanently.
Someone mentioned he might be liable for all the busted units that were already sent in months ago and he had to repair them by law before he walks away but I don't know if this is true.

It was a great company for decades with the best warranty around but too many mistakes doomed them.
Such is life.

Maybe someone will start doing repairs on these but right now there is no reliable service center available.
Rusty could, I assume, but he is retired and might not be ito it anymore so that is just a wish.
Also there are no more parts being made in the factory so eventually that supply line will be seriously curtailed even if someone did start a repair service.
Ordering some parts from some of their old suppliers is possible, I suppose, but how much is someone willing to spend on parts to service products from a niche company like this was?

Hopefully, something positive will happen for owners with broken detectors in the near future but right now everything is way up in the air.

Last edited:

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG! Glad mine is still working great, and that it easily paid for itself at least 5 times, probably 10 if I ever cash in any of my coins!

REALLY, SAD NEWS THOUGH, as I purchased it BECAUSE of the Lifetime warranty. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread